Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 14:02   #16

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med
Re: VHF Radio Call Signal Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You mean call SIGN?

If you don't change the flag, the call sign usually stays with the boat. You can look up the boat in the IMO radio station database.

Normally the boat needs its own STATION license, separate from the operators' licenses, and you need to apply for that in the flag state. The call sign will be shown on the license.

You will find that almost no one will be interested in your call sign. But knowing and using it is proper radio procedure and in my opinion a good thing.

Yes. How many yachts are there called "Grace". How many yachts have the call sign VJT6288.

Answers...hundreds and one. In an emergency a unique call sign kills ambiguity.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 16:28   #17

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Speaking as a Canadian, in Canada, you register your vhf radio with transport canada and receive a call sign. HOWEVER, they deregulated VHF radio in Canada something like 20 years ago...so you don't need to register your radio, have a call sign, or have an operators license. They might still available, but the link on the transport canada web site is broken (that may be a clue).

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...qs-1489.htm#01

In my own personal experience, people use the vessel name on the radio. And with cell/sat/smart phones, few people actually use the vhf for anything other than getting a weather forecast. AIS requires an MMSI.
The above link worked for me and was helpful.

I found the call sign for our boat but that was for the original VHF. I need to check if the newer VHF with DSC has MMSI number programmed in. If not, I will refer back to the link you provided. Thank you.
Old 30-01-2018, 16:43   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Got mine issued in the UK by offcom when I registered an epirb !
Old 30-01-2018, 17:04   #19

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by All is found View Post
Hi All!!
New Boat:
Not sure if any of this info is relevant but we are

registered in St Martin
We are Canadian
Digital VHF
Purchased boat from American
I do have my Radio Operators Certificate from Canada
Where/How Do We Obtain a RADIO CALL SIGNAL???

Don't know what I'd do without this forum!!!
Thanks in advance.
Hi All Is Found,

I realize that this has nothing to do with your original post but I thought it might come in handy for operating your VHF. It's a cheat sheet that I put together a while ago and I have it printed double sided and laminated. I keep it in the helm for crew, etc that are new to boating or those that don't know or don't care to make proper VHF calls.

Jeff
Attached Files
File Type: doc Making a VHF Radio Call.doc (35.0 KB, 69 views)
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 17:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

There is no requirement for a call sign for VHF radiotelephony in the US, either in marine or aviation operations. That went out thirty or forty years ago. Some identification should be used like the vessel name, flight number or aircraft tail numbers but not a separate call sign, unless you want to be called MAVERICK or GOOSE. Radio station licenses are not require for VHF radios onboard a vessel either. Something tells me that a land-base VHF station is required to broadcast a call sign every so often but that might have been done away with as well.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:32   #21

Thanks Everybody!!!

The reason I was requiring this is I am sending in paper work for a new EPIRB we just bought and it requests "Call Sign" on the docs...think I am just going to skip that line.
All is found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:39   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
There is no requirement for a call sign for VHF radiotelephony in the US, either in marine or aviation operations. That went out thirty or forty years ago. Some identification should be used like the vessel name, flight number or aircraft tail numbers but not a separate call sign, unless you want to be called MAVERICK or GOOSE. Radio station licenses are not require for VHF radios onboard a vessel either. Something tells me that a land-base VHF station is required to broadcast a call sign every so often but that might have been done away with as well.
USA FCC regulations state that you do need a radio station license if your boat sails in international waters and/or communicates with foreign radio stations.
You are exempt if you only sail in USA waters (all these for small pleasure vessels only)
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 13:45   #23

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

In most parts of the world you will be issued an call sign by the maritime authority when they register the boat. This is usually published on your boat registration document.

Your VHF and mmsi number is usually dealt with separately and by the communications authority.

But this can vary country to country
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 14:16   #24

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Thanks Everybody!!!

The reason I was requiring this is I am sending in paper work for a new EPIRB we just bought and it requests "Call Sign" on the docs...think I am just going to skip that line.
Think they are asking for your mmsi, sio if your Epirb is turned on , everybody nows what to look for.

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 17:26   #25

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
The reason I was requiring this is I am sending in paper work for a new EPIRB we just bought
Question - where are you registering the EPIRB - Canada, St Martin or ?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 19:31   #26

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

[QUOTE=hamburking;2566390]Speaking as a Canadian, in Canada, you register your vhf radio with transport canada and receive a call sign. HOWEVER, they deregulated VHF radio in Canada something like 20 years ago...so you don't need to register your radio, have a call sign, or have an operators license. They might still available, but the link on the transport canada web site is broken (that may be a clue).

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...qs-1489.htm#01

In my own personal experience, people use the vessel name on the radio. And with cell/sat/smart phones, few people actually use the vhf for anything other than getting a weathner forecast. AIS requires an MMSI.[/QUOTE

In many areas where there are lots of cruisers, we rely on VHF for a morning net and all day too, to keep in touch with the cruising commumnity, ask for info, etc. It is quite active where I go in Mexico.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, hf radio, radio, vhf