Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 16:15   #1

Turks and Caicos Advice

Hi all,Got a chance to fly to T&C then sail to Miami. Problem is how to prove to T&C immigration that I intend to leave by sailboat. WTH?I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone here or there.What forms or documents do I need or how do I get into T&C without a return flight ticket?Love,Jim and Nina
Old 08-02-2014, 16:24   #2

Re: turks and caicos advice

Have the owner/delivery skipper of the boat give you a letter adding you to the crew list is all that’s normally needed.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 16:36   #3

I do a lot of deliveries through out the Bahamas / T&C islands.
I think the first time i flew in to pick up a yacht,i had the same problem you are having.
Now i get the boat owner to either give me the boat papers or send me a copy of them.
Showing these papers to Immigration officials still results in question / answer time but
i have never been refused entry,,,,
Just do it their way,,,,,,Hey,they have the same problem coming into the States
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 16:49   #4

I’ve been through the T&C more than a few times. C&I there is a whole lot more friendlily than they are in the southern windward’s. We actually had an agent after checking the boat in give a couple of the crew a ride to the market.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 19:34   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

In the Bahamas the best thing is to acquire a copy of the vessels cruising permit. Might work in the T&C also.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19   #6

Thanks everyone,
I guess we'll see what happens.
Anyone need a crew?
Jim and nina
Old 09-02-2014, 06:26   #7
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We've lived in the Turks and Caicos for almost nine years now. It's a pretty small country, and having people fly in here to meet boats is pretty common. The customs and immigration people you are dealing with will probably be familiar with your type of plans, but if you've got a day or so I'll ask and find out for you. I'm spending about half of each day at the local marina working on our boat, and can find out for sure by probably tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Maybe today, depends on who's hanging around.

Wish I had seen your question yesterday. Leaving the boat last night we chatted briefly with a couple Immigration officials who were sitting at South Side Marina having a rum punch with Bob, the owner.

C&I come down to the marina every time a boat clears in or out or buys a cruising permit. We see them often. I know the South African catamaran next to us is planning to pull out some time today to head to Luperon. So, If you can stand by for a bit, I'll get you an answer.
Old 10-02-2014, 15:22   #8
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Turks and Caicos Advice

Spoke with marina owner today. He says that if the boat is already here before you arrive, just get them to scan and email a copy of their TCI cruising permit. Show that to whomever might ask, if anyone at this end even notices you don't have a return ticket. In fact, it's kind of hard to actually "show" anyone here a return ticket since they essentially don't exist any more.

If you plan to get here before the boat arrives, take copies of your correspondence with the captain ( emails? letters?) to show at Immigration if they ask.

keep in mind, this is a pretty relaxed place for the most part. The country doesn't own a Breathalyzer and their one radar gun ran out of batteries about four years ago.

Tags
Turks and Caicos