Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 07:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 424 ketch
Where in the Turks & Caicos?

I'm about to sail from NE Florida to the DR by way of the Turks & Caicos. I've got charts for it, but little information. Looking for feedback about where to clear in and hang out for up to a week, give my crew and me a chance to stretch our legs before continuing on to Luperon. Would really like to avoid beaches full of high-rise hotels. Any suggestions? Is there a laid-back, islandy kind of anchorage there with a cruiser's beach bar? Thanks!
captaintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 09:04   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Where in the Turks & Caicos?

Sounds like a great trip! I never made it to the T&C, but the Waterway Guide Bahamas/Turks&Caicos lists clearing in options: Grand Turk, Providenciales (all marinas or dinghy to shore), South Caicos govt. dock or Seaview Marina, or Salt Cay (duty police officer has authority to check you in). Provo (providenciales) has the most cruising ground, ports, and "stuff." Hopefully others will know your perfect spot!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 09:37   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35'

Provo translates to upscale tourism; nicely done, but expensive. Grand Turk has something of a Key West flair and is where the cruise ships dock. Neither North nor Middle Caicos have much to offer. Salt Cay is a jewel.

I'd start by checking with Debbie at Salt Cay Divers. If she can't answer your questions, she'll know who can. With an off-season population of only 60 people in addition to several dozen feral donkeys, Salt Cay is an experience not to be missed.
Capetinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 10:30   #4

Boat: 1988 Heritage East Sundeck 36'

have made the trip from florida to d.r. several times. afraid turks & caicos is not too user friendly for most sailors & is rather expensive. have stayed at the marina on the south side but mostly anchor in saprodila bay & remain on boat (don't check in). be sure you have a copy, if you can still find one, of bruce van sants book, "gentleman's guide to passages south, the thornless path". it is the bible for most boats going south fron florida & is full of usefull advise, waypoints, etc. we always sail along the western edge of the banks from provo to big sand cay & stage for the overnighter to luperon, d.r. be sure to allow time for exploring the windward side of big sand cay on the way. often find boater's treasure there of varying degree.
p.s also explore windwad side of west plana cay in bahamas.
if you have proper charts or a chartplotter i can give you the course i've found best for the provo to big sand cay trip with 5' draft. westerly84@yahoo.com
moonchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 08:01   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We anchored in Providenciales and provisioned there before heading off to the DR. Don't buy a lot of provisions in the T&C. They will be half the price once you get to the DR. Providenciales is an open anchorage so keep an eye on weather. The day before we left for the DR we headed south across the banks and anchored behind Big Sand Cay also and left at daybreak the next morning. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 08:27   #6

Currently in Luperon, D.R. waiting on weather to go north thru bahamas back to Florida. Has been a long wait so far. Hoped to be out of here & in Rock Sound for xmas but not going to happen. Previously I have always returned north via the same route I took south, that is to Big Sand Cay & across the banks, but I am thinking of going the extra miles around the banks off the reef to French Cay for a better sail this time. Can anyone offer tips or advice on this route?
Old 23-01-2012, 07:03   #7

Boat: Leopard 47

For what it's worth - We came through Turks and Caicos a few weeks ago. The Customs fees, which had previously been $15 a few years back, are now $50 in and $50 out. In addition, dogs; evin if remaining onboard, are $50 apiece. $200 to transit the T&C for a couple of days enroute from Bahamas to D.R. is simply not worth it. Unless, of course, you want a $16.99 six pack of bud light, or if you really would rather buy MahiMahi for $31.99 per pound insted of catching them on the way. Maybe considering fishing permits are in the $300 range, maybe it makes sense... It appears that not only is the T&C not overly cruiser friendly, but they are boing just about everything in their powers to kill an industry. $300 in the Bahamas for 3 months (or more) including fishing permit, just does not compare.
hawaiisun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 07:21   #8

Boat: Pearson 424 ketch

Thanks, hawaiisun2. That's some useful feedback. As it turned out, I sailed non-stop from Jacksonville to the south coast of the DR via the Mona Passage. Never stopped at T&C. Now I'm doubly glad I didn't!
captaintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 13:19   #9

just went from d.r. (luperon) to turks & caicos & can confirm higher fees. we were allowed to stay 7 days for $50 in $50 out. a dog, cat, hamster, etc are $50 each.
f.y.i. really enjoyed a brief stay at sothside marina while in t & c
Old 24-01-2012, 13:35   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiisun2 View Post
For what it's worth - We came through Turks and Caicos a few weeks ago. The Customs fees, which had previously been $15 a few years back, are now $50 in and $50 out. In addition, dogs; evin if remaining onboard, are $50 apiece. $200 to transit the T&C for a couple of days enroute from Bahamas to D.R. is simply not worth it. Unless, of course, you want a $16.99 six pack of bud light, or if you really would rather buy MahiMahi for $31.99 per pound insted of catching them on the way. Maybe considering fishing permits are in the $300 range, maybe it makes sense... It appears that not only is the T&C not overly cruiser friendly, but they are boing just about everything in their powers to kill an industry. $300 in the Bahamas for 3 months (or more) including fishing permit, just does not compare.
That's bad new for the $500 a month crowd. The trend continues, there will be fewer and fewer cheap stops.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 05:23   #11

Visiting Turks and Caicos
The posts on the subject of hugely increased costs of visitingTCI (check in/check out and cruising permits) are unfortunately corrrect. However cruisers should be made aware that these draconian measures (which if allowed to continue, will surely be the death of cruising in these islands) are being strenuosly fought on behalf of all visiting mariners, whether they are cruisers, sports fishermen or motor yacht owners by the association representing the working marinas on the islands.
You have friends in court!!!
PS The charge of $50 per animal does not include hamsters!!!
Those of you who have visited TCI recently will know exactly who I am, and indeed how cruiser friendly we all are here.
simon anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:46   #12
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

And if you'd like a look at the South Side Marina (including Simon) that Moonchaser visited, there are some photos at:
2 Gringos in the Caribbean: 1st Annual South Side Marina Post

These prices can't go on forever, it has to be a temporary thing. I guess the upside is that if you do visit here, you can at least feel comforted in knowing that the people in the boat next to you can afford their OWN dinghy motor.

And the $ 30 dolphin in the stores is for people who DON'T have boats.