Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 03:24   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Sail Right, Drive Left?

The whole world used to travel on the left. It was Napoleon being left handed that changed that. Some countries that weren't conquered by Napoleon changed from left to right as to marry up with their neighbours.

Islands like Aus, UK, Eire, etc.. never had any need to change since they have no direct connection to countries that travel on the right.

It also made sense for Aus to stay on the left to benefit from Japanese imported cars.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:33   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
My understanding is that driving on the left goes back as far as Roman times. People possibly drove on the left so their sword hand was free to engage oncoming chariots. Studies of the depths of wheel ruts on old Roman roads backs up the belief they kept to the left.

Driving on the right apparently originated with Bonaparte. From what I gather he forced France and the countries he invaded to change the side of the road they drove on, just because he could.

Since Britain wasn't invaded by France, they never changed sides.
Good article here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_...c#cite_note-77

I never knew that so many countries used to drive on the left. Very interesting. Austria-Hungary, Spain, Italy, France before 1792. Apparently only Germany and Russia go back far with driving on the right. Who'd a thunk it? Learn something new every day.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:13   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The Swedes tried to change and drive on the other side of the road in 1967. After 3 days of chaos they gave up and cancelled the idea.

Today there is no chance a civilised country could do it.

I believe the IRPCS came from Trinity House about 1840 ish and since England ruled the waves at that point, (we think we still do) TH insisted that the RN and British Registered merchant ships follow a set of regulations. It came to be that the rest of world did as they were told. The regulations more like a gentleman's agreement, had been in existence for hundreds of years, just never written down or passed into law which Trinity House did achieve.

Sadly someone called Tomas Gray in 1867 wrote a book for ordinary seamen so they could understand the regulations. He called it "Rules of the Road" and the RN still issue this publication today with the same title to Officers, watch keepers and look outs etc. So the saying "Rules of the Road".continues to be used in everyday language despite having nothing to do with roads. I did suggest the Royal Navy change the name of their guide to IRPCS but that didn't go down very well.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200px-Kungsgatan_1967.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	163331  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29   #19

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Here in Mexico we drive on the shady side of the road.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:36   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail Right, Drive Left?

Its how Brits know when they have left civilisation and arrived in the lands of barbarians..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:07   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Sadly someone called Tomas big grin: in 1867 wrote a book for ordinary seamen so they could understand the regulations. He called it "Rules of the Road" and the RN still issue this publication today with the same title to Officers, watch keepers and look outs etc. So the saying "Rules of the Road".continues to be used in everyday language despite having nothing to do with roads. I did suggest the Royal Navy change the name of their guide to IRPCS but that didn't go down very well.

Pete
Hmm... Tomas Gray might disagree with you regarding the use of the terminology of Road.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadstead

He might also prefer to be known as Thomas
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:24   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

He could have copied the Americans naming convention "Rules to prevent Collisions at Sea" which they came up with 4 years previously, instead created confusion in countries which drive on the correct left hand side, a missed opportunity sadly.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:59   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Of course, in the Virgin Islands, both British and American, we sail on the right (like the rest of the world), but drive on the left with cars designed for the US. We get used to knowing where we are with reference to the gutters. Works out OK, but not sure if we are civilized or barbarians, for more than one reason!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The Swedes tried to change and drive on the other side of the road in 1967. After 3 days of chaos they gave up and cancelled the idea.
?? 3 September 1967 worked, the Swedes now drive on the right, as any googled picture will show.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:06   #25

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We have had the opportunity to sail, Australia , Ireland, and the British Virgin Islands, where they drove on the left. Never rented a car, but we have sailed these areas quite extensively.

For marine navigation, we stayed to the right as far as sailing and motor vessels in channels were concerned. Or passing when vessels approaching head on. We passed port to port.

What we do, before sailing ( any where, or motoring ( River Shannon in Ireland ) we thoroughly study the cruising guides and learn the navigation aids, buoys, and day marks. They can be quite different.

Tahiti has nav aids, or at least had them when we sailed there for two weeks four different times, over the years, that are quite different from the U.S. buoyage system, and I mean squares, triangles, cirlcles and some times all stacked on top of each other on a post, for daymarks to avoid grounding on reefs.

Australia, we sailed the whitsunday islands , two different two week trips, and red right returning was wrong as far as the color of the flashing lights, and color painted on the day marks. Green marks were kept to starboard when returning. Red to port.

Point being, we study up on the navigational rules for where ever you are going to be skippering a vessel, sail or power. And we study and learn the cruising guides or sailing directions
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:13   #26

Boat: Hylas 54

34% of the world's population drive on the sensible side, that's the left.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I guess it’s worth bringing up which side of the sidewalk people tend to gravitate to. It seems here in Australia people walking seem to float middle-right (maybe these are the tourist from right side countries), but signs for shared paths with bikes suggest left is the correct side. And most bikes seem to abide and stay left.

As a young boy I asked my Dad which side we were supposed to walk on on the footpath when approaching other people ... "the person facing the traffic should should take the side closest to the traffic, as they can see if there's any danger coming. If you are going the same way as the traffic and you are closest to it you'll never see what hit you!"

The footpath, bike lane and street traffic therefore should all stick to the same side as per the countries road rules. The rule works for everyone! Ideally over-take by crossing into the "oncoming traffic's" side.

Colregs as mentioned are international.
InternetSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06   #28

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Here in Mexico we drive on the shady side of the road.

goat
I don't. I drive on the side with the fewest potholes and tope's (speed bumps).
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35   #29

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Port Villa used to have roundabouts that you went around different ways depending if you were in the French or English part of town, locals could do it but the tourist! Probably changed now.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:44   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Can anyone shed light on this...

In Australia they drive on the left, but I recently noticed on one of their government boat maps, an icon that says keep right!

Anyone know the history, or other countries that do this?

Attachment 163307

Passing port to port is the preferred manner, remember, turn to port, see you in court?

International prevention of collision rules apply.

Ann

Tags
sail