Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 14:59   #136

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47
Re: Rules of the road - entering a channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But standing on is NOT a privilege, not a right, and not a benefit. It is not for YOU. It is an OBLIGATION. It is actually a BURDEN. Being stand-on means you are REQUIRED to defer to the other vessel for a certain amount of time. You are RELINQUISHING CONTROL of the crossing to him, and holding your course and speed for the purpose of allowing him to work out and execute a maneuver. But only so long as this is useful -- you must be all the time monitoring the situation and preparing to make your own move, if for any reason he doesn't use his momentary window of control over the crossing, to resolve the situation.

Not understanding this is one of the leading causes of bad collision avoidance by recreational boaters. Thinking standing on is a privilege, or thinking they have the right of way, leads to the following behavior -- like on the road, they think if they are starboard or under sail, they just carry on as they please, and just let the give-way vessel worry about it. OR, they think that since standing on is a privilege, they don't actually have to do it, and so they can maneuver willy nilly, and some even think this is GOOD, to "not stand on my privilege".

So -- this is not mere pedantry. These are essential, fundamental concepts. You simply cannot do collision avoidance right, without getting this stuff.

Thanks Dockhead, that's the best explanation I've seen!
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:07   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBear60 View Post

1. ...looking at the original post, this gentleman was in a channel in a harbor-like, bay-like area of water; the channel being demarked by buoys. Boat #2 (we don't know if it was a ship or a boat or a big boat or a little boat) is presumably a recreational power boat not exceeding 60 feet. So both boats are essentially equally constrained or lack thereof; ie. not a working vessel, fishing vessel or vessel constrained by draft. This leads one to believe that boat #2 could pretty much proceed anywhere within the "channel", which the person posting implies is not narrow. The sailboat being under power is really a power boat; but also marginally constrained by draft.

2. Boiling it down... it's a simple crossing scenario. The reason I would say "boiling it down" is that when we're out there on the water, we really don't have luxury to peruse the COLREGS to determine if this or if that.

3. So we make it a simple crossing situation, everyone should be able to understand that. Plus, it's obviously clear Boat #2 doesn't really care. And we aren't in the possible of standing on ROW (which doesn't exist on the water) and mainly we must rely on the Rule: "under all circumstances it is the captain's responsibility to avoid every collision even if it means "violating" some other Rule!"

1. Except that he WAS NOT in a channel. In Post #82, he attached a portion of his chart. "4" is red at the start of the channel that goes north. "2" is NOT identified as to color because the portion of the chart he attached cut it off. He said: ...a portion of the chart which shows the actual location of my situation. In thinking about it now it's obvious these markers main (possibly only) purpose is to mark the shallow water to the north. What it doesn't show is the minefield of crab floats to the south and, based on experience, I'm a little skeptical of it's accuracy. I know that heading from "4" to "2" gives me safe passage. So how "wide" is this channel? Does it extend as far south as depth allows? Is it cone shaped? Is a boat to the south heading for marker "4" in the channel? Is it not a channel?" He was NOT in a channel.

2. Yes, it was a simple crossing. I don't "get" the rest of this part.

3. Yes, and sure. But "row" doesn't belong in ANY of these comments, ever. Unless you're in a boat with OARS.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:34   #138

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We learned a long time ago, that we had to be 100 % aware of the nav systems, nav aids, and regulations of what ever country or chain of islands that we were sailing.

For the dock side bar lawyers, try sailing Tahiti... They have a navigation system that if you are not aware, and are prepared, you will be parking your vessel on a reef in short order. That is a bloody fact.

We keep it simple, prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Fact is, we understand that most non U.S. places that we sail, red right returning is wrong. We do not complain and snivel, and snort, we are prepared and .follow what ever nav system procedures are published for their waters.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 18:35   #139

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
One of the reasons for these threads is to try to introduce newcomers to actually read the rules.

The realization that there is more to the rules than what is written in the COLREGs, is the beginning of wisdom.

With apologies to the author of Proverbs 9:10
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:22   #140

Just last Saturday I saw a 38-42 ft sailboat cut perpendicular across a channel entry under sail just about 200-300 yards from the entry causing all the channel traffic to avoid him. I thought that was an odd choice.

Looked like he came out of the channel, turned to starboard, raised sails and then turned back to port to cross the channel. Acted like a trust fund kid.
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:39   #141

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

With all this controversy, it is surprising I haven't collided with another boat. Closest was when a very-close sailboat tacked toward me in the middle of the bay, which responded with me taking a temporary 90-degree course change.
Old 14-09-2020, 21:08   #142

I have a variation to add to the mix and would appreciate input. I was the sailboat trying to cross into the main channel in Grand Haven last week and got a stern rebuke from an older gentleman who made it clear he didn't like sailboats to begin with. My problem though was that i was trying to get across oncoming trafic which was itself crossing traffic - out of the main channel - to enter a smaller channel into a lake to port. In other words there is a "Y". It happens just inland from a drawbridge which was just opening for me and i needed to be ready to scoot under asap. This gentleman in his haste to educate me on the rules for sailboats which aren't really while motoring, actually sped up and crouded me to make things seem i was creating more trouble than had to be if he had simply steered right a bit. So in effect, he was crossing me i believe, but most of the very busy (non-stop) traffic there is crossing into that lake making it hard for anyone to get through on the main channel. I will be in this situation every week and would appreciate suggestions. I believe the rule that says the boat on your right has ROW would apply?
Windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 22:07   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
With all this controversy, it is surprising I haven't collided with another boat. Closest was when a very-close sailboat tacked toward me in the middle of the bay, which responded with me taking a temporary 90-degree course change.

I've made contact with one or three over the years - but only when racing. And generally it was the other boat's fault
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 22:15   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windracer View Post
I believe the rule that says the boat on your right has ROW would apply?
I believe that you need to read the Rules.
And completely forget about any concept of ROW.

If you are both under power and he is on your right and forward of a line 22.5° behind your beam, it is your responsibility to take action to avoid him and his responsibility to maintain his current course and speed so that you can plan your action - preferably a significant turn to pass well astern of him.

If you are actually sailing (not motoring) and the other boat is under power, it is your responsibility to maintain your course and speed and allow him to take action to avoid you- up to the point at which it becomes apparent that he is not taking appropriate action. At which time, you should take action to avoid him.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 23:38   #145

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windracer View Post
I have a variation to add to the mix and would appreciate input. I was the sailboat trying to cross into the main channel in Grand Haven last week and got a stern rebuke from an older gentleman who made it clear he didn't like sailboats to begin with. My problem though was that i was trying to get across oncoming trafic which was itself crossing traffic - out of the main channel - to enter a smaller channel into a lake to port. In other words there is a "Y". It happens just inland from a drawbridge which was just opening for me and i needed to be ready to scoot under asap.
I'm having trouble following the situation. This is the location, correct? https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=43.0...21401&z=14&b=m

I assume you are coming from the direction of Cutters Boom, heading West to enter the Grand Haven Channel to proceed to Lake Michigan. The crossing traffic is then coming from ahead of you, then turning North to follow the Grand Haven Channel into Spring Lake? Or was it coming from Spring Lake?
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 03:48   #146

Boat: Prairie 29

Your destination does not matter. If during the course of your voyage you must turn to port (which makes a vessel appear on your stbd) then you violated Colregs. Your alternative would be to go straight, until a left turn is possible ( even going past your intended turn and double back and take a right turn ). Or just slow down until said traffic passes. Then turn left.
Why were you mentioning being on a sailboat? At the time you were under power, correct?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 06:29   #147

If you are constrained by draught and can not navigate outside the channel you must display a cylinder to show that you are so constrained. Although we do carry our day shapes, I suspect we are in the minority!
Lcdr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 06:34   #148

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcdr47 View Post
If you are constrained by draught and can not navigate outside the channel you must display a cylinder to show that you are so constrained. Although we do carry our day shapes, I suspect we are in the minority!
You carry a cylinder? That would be a very tiny minority.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 06:44   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
This is another case of confusion between Rule 9 and Rule 28.

"Constrained by draft" is Rule 28. Rule 28 DOES NOT APPLY TO SAILING VESSELS and does not necessarily have anything to do with narrow channels. Cylinder or three red lights. In my experience, this is a very rare nav status. Only seen it a couple times in my whole life, and both times it was heavily loaded ULLC's with some incredible draft, like 50 meters.

Rule 9 is "Narrow Channels". A vessel does NOT need to be constrained or limited by draft, for Rule 9 to apply. The standard is being able to "navigate safely only within a narrow channel or fairway" -- for any reason, not just draft.

There is NO SIGNAL for "can navigate safely only within a narrow channel or fairway".
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 07:26   #150

Boat: Prairie 29

Quote:
Luckily for both the OP and the follow on Q, neither vessel being described was in International waters. Nor does the concept of 'Constrained by Draft' enter into the conversation.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule