Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 14:20   #31

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Other side of anchoring restrictions

Dude.. this is politics. Sorry but if you have some other way of putting it I would like to know.

Well yes, with the very unpopular among boaters Florida government reelected there is every indication that anchoring will be further restricted. It certainly won't go the other way. The same governor that signed the anchoring legislation last year is set to work with the existing legislature to increase restrictions this year in light of the findings, after the program sunsets on July 1st 2017.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Dude.. this is politics. Sorry but if you have some other way of putting it I would like to know.

Well yes, with the very unpopular among boaters Florida government reelected there is every indication that anchoring will be further restricted. It certainly won't go the other way. The same governor that signed the anchoring legislation last year is set to work with the existing legislature to increase restrictions this year in light of the findings, after the program sunsets on July 1st 2017.
The governor (whether you like him or not) doesn't make the laws, the legislature does. The governor can sign the law, veto, or just let it go through without doing anything.

If you live in Florida and pay Florida property taxes, vote the legislators out who you don't like.

If you don't live and pay taxes in Florida (and vote), its really none of your bees-wax.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:42   #33

Other side of anchoring restrictions

I do live in Florida and no I did not vote for them. Why are you defending them? Sorry you feel ridiculed or offended by a little hyperbole or whatever but as you state, anchoring restrictions don't write themselves and the Florida government is not boater friendly.

I feel as strongly about working against further anchoring restrictions as you are apparently in giving the government carte blanch control over it.
Old 04-01-2017, 14:55   #34
SFS

The problem is that the legislators just draft the legislation they are told to, and the governor does what he is told to. The people doing the telling are not the voters, they are (indirectly) the people with the deepest pockets, funneling their messages (directly) through people who have literally bought access to those legislators, through campaign contributions.

The notion of voting someone out of office is quaint. For that to happen would require critical thinking on the part of the electorate, which is WAY too much effort for the average Uhmerkin these days. In the absence of that critical thinking, whoever spends the most money on advertising is going to win. Assuming an honest election, and the also quaint notion that elections are won by the candidates that receive the most votes.

This anchoring legislation is nothing but politics. Doesn't mean that the problems with derelict boats aren't real, they are. We have them where I live, and every storm we lose two or three. But solving that problem means moving derelict boats, not enacting wholesale prohibitions on anchoring in a given area.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 14:57   #35

Derelict boats are a huge problem and I think that the findings make some great recommendations on how to deal with them... including canceling titles. I assume that most people with derelict boats have not bothered to document their vessels with the coast guard.
Old 04-01-2017, 15:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I do live in Florida and no I did not vote for them. Why are you defending them? Sorry you feel ridiculed or offended or whatever but as you state, anchoring restrictions doesn't write itself and the Florida government is not boater friendly.

I feel as strongly about working against further anchoring restrictions as you are apparently in giving the government carte blanch control over it.
Are we jumping the gun a little>? Leaps of faith? I think you have a serious anger issue here on this subject. I didn't defend anyone!

For your information I pay almost $11K to Monroe County for my property off Sisters Creek, so get off your high horse.

Now, since you live in Florida (and I assume you pay taxes and you say you vote), where have your rights to cruise been limited and how have them been limited?

Outside of an occasional FWC stop for illegal fish/shellfish and safety, I've not been limited in my boating anywhere I motor in the state.

Its your right vote people out you don't like, but its my right to support them. I have no problem with cruisers mooring or anchoring properly. I do have problems with derelicts. I do have problems with clowns tying up to my dock and coming on my property to use my garden hose, then leaving trash all over the place. ( I have a video surveillance system that records).

And by the way, I never said anything giving the government carte blanch control to state or county government.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring