Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2021, 09:17   #1

New US Boating Law - Requires use of ECOS Emergency Cut Off Switch

Under a new US federal law effective April 1, 2021, those piloting boats less than 26 feet in length are required to use their engine cut-off switches (ECOS) much of the time. That means wearing a lanyard—aka ECOS link—while at the wheel. (Formerly referred to as, “kill switches,” the term engine cut-off switch, or ECOS, is the preferred nomenclature, whether referring to engine-cut-off switches operated by a physical lanyard or any of several electronic solutions.)

Specifically, Section 8316 of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2021 passed by Congress requires individuals operating recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length with an engine capable of 115 pounds of static thrust (3 hp) or more to use ECOS links. However, this law applies when the primary helm is not in a cabin and when the boat is operating on plane or above displacement speed. Situations in which an ECOS link would not be required include docking, launching and loading on a trailer, trolling and operating in no-wake zones.

Most boats that have been manufactured in the last couple of decades have been built with such cut off switches.

Under the federal law, operators who fail to follow the new requirement can face civil penalties up to $100 for the first offense. Seven states already have similar laws, including Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey and Texas. Forty-four states have the same kinds of regulations for personal watercraft.
Most states that don’t already have such laws on the books are expected to amend their regulations to match federal law over the coming years.

Key Requirements

Boaters operating boats less than 26 feet LOA must use an ECOS link if one is installed.

Boats built before 2020 may not have been required to have an ECOS installed but most have ECOS aboard anyway.

Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020 must have a ECOS installed.

If the boat was built in January 2020 or later, the Engine Cut-Off Switch systems must be maintained in working condition for the life of the boat. Just like navigation lights or exhaust blowers.

Boaters are not required to use ECOS if:

The boat is operated from an enclosed helm.
The boat is off plane and not exceeding hull speed
During docking maneuvers or while at idle
The vessel does not have an engine cut-off switch and is not required to have one.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 09:32   #2

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Re: New US Boating Law - Requires use of ECOS Emergency Cut Off Switch

What is the logic defining this at less than 26 feet? I guess 26 and above already have this requirement?

- Luckily my boat is 26 feet, so guess its not for me. Well.. being Canadian, its already not for me, but maybe I will visit Washington one day.

- The boat is off plane and not exceeding hull speed.. well that covers my boat. I can still watch it motor off with no chance of swimming back to it.
- My outboard has a cut-off lanyard, but it would be impossible to use it without occasionally shutting off the motor, possibly causing a dangerous situation on its own.
- I like the idea of a water activated cut-off switch, if it wasn't exorbitantly expensive.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 09:34   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I'm guessing most boats over 26 feet have inboard engines, where the kill-switch is not applicable. Just my thinking...
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 09:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
- The boat is off plane and not exceeding hull speed.. well that covers my boat. I can still watch it motor off with no chance of swimming back to it.
The rule probably isn't there to save you, it's more to protect other from speeding runaway boats. Whether you drown or your boat crashes into a pier is of no big importance. as long as it doesn't fly over the highway like in a James Bond movie. For the same reason this isn't required in no-wake zones.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 09:45   #5

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I'm guessing most boats over 26 feet have inboard engines, where the kill-switch is not applicable. Just my thinking...
I don't really get that though, you could still fall overboard with an inboard motor, and the boat continues on its merry way, possibly to someone else's doom. The greater weight of the larger ship makes this even more dangerous.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 09:48   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
I don't really get that though, you could still fall overboard with an inboard motor, and the boat continues on its merry way, possibly to someone else's doom. The greater weight of the larger ship makes this even more dangerous.

You're far less likely to fall off a larger boat, however. And more likely to want / need to move around while underway, rather than being glued to the helm seat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:01   #7

Wireless ECOS have recently been developed and are also approved for use. These devices use an electronic “fob” that is carried by the operator and senses when it is submerged in water, activating the ECOS and turning the engine off. Wireless devices are available on the aftermarket and are beginning to become available as manufacturer-installed options.

This rule applies to outboard, inboard / outboard and inboard mounted engines or motors. If the main helm position is inside the boat then no ECOS is required. The point being that if the helmsperson falls overboard the boat will stop running. A helmsperson that is inside a cabin can not fall overboard.

There should always be a person at the helm when the boat is underway or making way. Low-speed activities such as fishing or docking do not require use of an ECOS. And the lanyard must be attached to the helmsperson when the ECOS is required to be active. It is against the law to just place the kill fob into the switch and not connect the helmsperson to the fob by the lanyard. Kind of like your seatbelt: Click it, or ticket.

To ensure the safety of recreational boaters, the U.S. Coast Guard has certain safety requirements for recreational boats up to 65 feet. While most of the safety laws are essentially the same for each size category of boats, some differ. If your boat is 16–26 feet, you have additional responsibilities compared with the owner of a smaller boat.

Note that specific States have their own laws which can be even more stringent than the Federal law.

By way of example:

On September 1, 2019, Kali’s Law went into effect in Texas. Named after 16-year-old Kali Gorzell, who died in a boating accident in 2012, the law requires those operating a boat under 26 feet in length to wear a kill switch lanyard. Boat drivers are required to use the cutoff if they’re going faster than headway speed — basically idle speed.
Old 24-03-2021, 10:06   #8

Does this law apply to dinghies?
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
The rule probably isn't there to save you, it's more to protect other from speeding runaway boats. Whether you drown or your boat crashes into a pier is of no big importance. as long as it doesn't fly over the highway like in a James Bond movie. For the same reason this isn't required in no-wake zones.
How often it happens I do not know, but people do fall out of moving boats and then get hit when the boats circle backs to hit them. My guess is that this is driving the law. I have read accident reports of this happening and there are videos out there of circling, out of control power boats.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
"requires individuals operating recreational vessels less than 26 feet in length with an engine capable of 115 pounds of static thrust (3 hp) or more to use ECOS links."

Unless the dinghy is longer than 26 feet or generates less than 3HP of thrust, then........yes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
How often it happens I do not know, but people do fall out of moving boats and then get hit when the boats circle backs to hit them. My guess is that this is driving the law. I have read accident reports of this happening and there are videos out there of circling, out of control power boats.

Later,
Dan
Spot on Dan, often boats are established to have a bias such that they will steer in circles. My old PWC does that if I don't steer it straight. It will slowly return to me, albeit with a jet instead of a propeller it will not injury me if it does circle back at very slow idle speed.

An example of a seven meter power boat where all the occupants fell out and they had to dive to avoid the fast circling boat. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/runaway-bo...5ft50LisHkc0hL

My friend's uncle fell out of his uncle's ski boat when he was at a dock and was killed by the propeller. Only takes a moment.

I pull the kill switch from the starter whenever the engine is turned off so as mitigate anyone from inadvertently starting the engine. I hate to see people leave the safety fob under the kill switch and have a lanyard just dangling, purest form of boating stupidity and / or ignorance. Kind of like leaving the keys in the ignition of your car when your kids are left in the car.

I typically tune my sails of my sailboats so as to have a bit of weather helm which will cause the boat to turn into the wind if I do not place some counter to the rudder; this causes the boat to head into irons and stop if I stop tending to the rudder.

Note the 26 feet or less is set because that is the typical limit of length of most readily trailerable recreational boats. Bigger boats have yet another set of safety requirements. Reference:

https://www.boatsafe.com/us-coast-gu...ational-boats/
Old 24-03-2021, 11:11   #12

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So if you use your motor to sail into the wind while you go to the mast to reef or drop the main???
Old 24-03-2021, 11:13   #13

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So if you use your motor to sail into the wind while you go to the mast to reef or drop the main???

Wouldn't be an issue. The law has an exemption for operating at displacement speeds, so you wouldn't need the cutoff while motorsailing in a small boat. The idea is safety in case of the helmsman getting tossed out of their seat or overboard while running on plane in a small boat or dinghy.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 12:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Wouldn't be an issue. The law has an exemption for operating at displacement speeds, so you wouldn't need the cutoff while motorsailing in a small boat. The idea is safety in case of the helmsman getting tossed out of their seat or overboard while running on plane in a small boat or dinghy.
State laws may require such even at displacement speed, for example, the Kali's Law of Texas:

The driver of a motor boat that is 26 feet or less in length and equipped with an emergency engine cut-off switch to make sure the cut-off switch is functional and attached whenever the boat is moving at more than headway speed.

To put a face to a name, I have attached photos of Kali Gorzell. She was only 16.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department official testified during the legislature's committee meeting, and gave an alarming estimate: Of the 29 fatal boating accidents reported in Texas in 2018, the agency believes 26 might have been prevented if a kill switch had been used. That would have reduced the total number of boating deaths to just three. According to the U.S. Coast Guard’s 2017 Recreational Boating Statistics report [an incomplete data analysis], there were 172 accidents nationwide that year in which at least one person was struck by a propeller. Those accidents resulted in 31 deaths and 162 injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kali.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	235163  
Old 24-03-2021, 14:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
A dinghy is a boat, subject to all the laws of a boat of it's size! For some reason we all seem to think that because we're fortunate enough to have a bigger boat that carries our smaller boat, we can safely ignore all the rules for the smaller boat. Even while we would expect someone who only owned a smaller boat to follow those same rules. I'm guilty of that thought process at times as well
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, emergency, enc