Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 19:26   #46

Re: Mis representing age of boat in sale????

I can almost guarantee how it happened. The owner (if he was original owner) bought the boat in 1991 and it was a 91 model year as shown on the last 2 digits of the HIN. But USCG uses manufacture year on the vessel documentation, which was apparently misplaced by the original owner.

When original owner advertised the boat for sale, he said it was a 1991 model. After all, that was when it was bought new and no one wants to advertise their boat is older than it has to be.

New owner bought the boat with a bill of sale that specified model year. But when he went to re-document it with the original documentation number, he was given a USCG form with a date two years older than he was expecting.

And by the way, I always use the model year rather than the build year when describing my boat. That includes to my insurance company.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 20:28   #47

When you are looking at a boat this old, does a yr or 2 really matter?
A boat that I bought was sold as an 84 but was actually constructed in late 82
Didn’t bother me any.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:39   #48

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I bought a boat that was advertised on Craigslist that it was a 1991 model. The seller also gave me a USCG Bill of Sale form (notarized by him) stating that it was a 1991 . He said he lost the current USCG Document form and had to order a replacement. Well I have found out since that the boat is actually a 1989 built boat. So I have a 2 year older boat than was represented by the seller. Shouldnt the seller pay me for this misrepresentation?
Just FYI, my boat was built in 2016 as a 2017 model, then sold to me and titled in 2017.

This happens often in motorcycles. In 2015, I bought a brand new, no-miles 2013 "leftover" for something like 30% off the sticker price. Exact same as the 2015 bike.

Maybe there's nothing actually amiss?
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:12   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There are actually four versions of HIN/MIC's
What is a HIN
HIN: Hull Identification Number.

MIC: Manufacturers Identification code

A Single manufacturer might have several different MIC's, such as one for each plant. The MIC is contained within the HIN.

Yes, there are several different format's for the HIN based on year. Since the OP's post was discussing a vessel with a manufactures date between 1989 and 1991, I provided the format for the HIN post 1984 and stated such in my post.

Short Reply: What's your point??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:25   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
HIN: Hull Identification Number.

MIC: Manufacturers Identification code

A Single manufacturer might have several different MIC's, such as one for each plant. The MIC is contained within the HIN.

Yes, there are several different format's for the HIN based on year. Since the OP's post was discussing a vessel with a manufactures date between 1989 and 1991, I provided the format for the HIN post 1984 and stated such in my post.

Short Reply: What's your point??
My apologies for offering more information.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:43   #51

I bought my boat listed as 2007, the hull was laid up in 2001 but didn't splash till 07'. I wasn't super happy about it but honestly not a big deal in the long run.
Tbreptiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sale