Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 09:05   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
“Locking” the holding tank

I don’t have wye valves and all waste water goes into holding tanks. The macerator discharge valve is kind of a pita to get to to put a wire on to lock. So I zip tie the breakers off instead. So you would have to cut the ties, shut the breakers, and then push and hold the button for the macerator to pump the tank out. I feel that is pretty positive means of preventing an accidental discharge.

Tomorrow I’m heading into the land of know aggressive FWC, what do you think they are going to think of my breaker locking method?
Old 12-12-2017, 10:00   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45
Re: “Locking” the holding tank

You should be fine. I took the handle off the through hull discharge for mine. But if that's not possible I would be comfortable with any sort of method for positively showing that you cannot discharge sewage over board. You would have to physically cut the cable ties to discharge, so it's essentially locked out.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: “Locking” the holding tank

Agreed. You should be fine. FWC is looking for compliance and that can take many forms. They're known for showing up at a marina, tossing a dye packet in the head, and flushing it. If no dye comes out in the water, you're fine, regardless of how you have it locked down.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank