Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2014, 20:40   #271

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Re: Impounded boats in Mexico

I haven't been back to Mexico for over a decade (but still one of my favourite destinations). So a question - my boat is a one off, built in NZ, I really don't know what a HIN or a VIN is and I'm pretty sure I don't have one. What would happen if I wanted to go to Mexico tomorrow?

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-01-2014, 21:22   #272

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I understand, from this thread, there is a coast guard form to apply for an official HIN number.
Old 27-01-2014, 23:03   #273

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I haven't been back to Mexico for over a decade (but still one of my favourite destinations). So a question - my boat is a one off, built in NZ, I really don't know what a HIN or a VIN is and I'm pretty sure I don't have one. What would happen if I wanted to go to Mexico tomorrow?
In the US you can't register a boat w/o a HIN. I build all my boats and get HINs assigned to my new boat every couple years, fairly easy. Do you not have to have some unique ID# for your vessel over there?

On the subject at hand, I wouldn't have taken a boat to Mexico before, this just reinforces it. Z's experiences asside, there are just far too many places without this massive, pervasive crime and corruption to bother with it. IMHO of course
Old 28-01-2014, 01:58   #274
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Just make up a HIN apply it and have your registration documents amended.

Dave
Old 28-01-2014, 07:13   #275

Anybody else with a boat seized in Mexico manage to get it out? Please share your experience. It would be very helpful for the others.

How about anybody else working on getting un-seized? How is the process going, what are you hearing, what helpful information can you share?

As one of the previously seized, any useful information is a godsend.

Thanks in advance...

A note and request from one formerly in a bad situation:

The "should have"s, "shouldn't have"s, "didn't you know"s, "why did you go"s, "I would have"s or even blame (directed at anyone) doesn't help those who have a boat stuck in this mess. We all have our opinions of what Mexico is or isn't and those are useful for planning a cruise. But this is a serious situation. If someone has real experience or penitent personal info about this evolving situation please share.
CSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 15:54   #276
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well...How do you input correct details when you can't? If you don't fill in the blanks, it doesn't go through. Then what?
No idea - but am pretty sure it does not involve making stuff up......same as with most other countries.

If that website was the only way to get a TIP from abroad and if a TIP is required before arriving the problem should have been 100% that of Mexico (due to an obama style website ) - as boats not on the list could not arrive.

Folks only made it their problem by going anyway, with false documents. Or none.......of course none of that is their fault. Sometimes life is inconvenient - and, shock!, sometimes even not fair.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 16:27   #277

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
No idea - but am pretty sure it does not involve making stuff up......same as with most other countries.

If that website was the only way to get a TIP from abroad and if a TIP is required before arriving the problem should have been 100% that of Mexico (due to an obama style website ) - as boats not on the list could not arrive.

Folks only made it their problem by going anyway, with false documents. Or none.......of course none of that is their fault. Sometimes life is inconvenient - and, shock!, sometimes even not fair.
Well...I guess you would have to of gone online, made the attempt, gone to Mexico and experienced it for yourself before passing that one. Nice jab by the way to our countries leader.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 17:00   #278

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Impounded boats in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Yepper. I know it's an unpopular position but David's right as rain.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 17:21   #279

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

I'm a NZ'er living in NZ, my boat was built in NZ but is registered in Vanuatu. I have owned several boats in NZ, none of them had a HIN, to the best of my knowledge no such thing exists here.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 17:28   #280
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Then put a HIN on it. I don't quite see the point of people talking about lack of HINs. At this stage in the world very few production boats don't have HINs.

Dave
Old 28-01-2014, 18:06   #281

Boat: Wylie 45' Custom

I have a custom built boat, USCG documented, built by an American in Subic Bay Philippines in 1983. No HIN, my surveyor made up a number for my survey 3 years ago (for insurance only). He informs me that I'll need to apply for a "proper" one from USCG. Next problem is, the boat has a canoe stern (No starboard quarter) well kind of no quarter, so where should it go, I'm guessing starboard of center. Then I'll have to figure out how to "engrave" it into a cold molded hull????
NRosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 18:23   #282

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Then put a HIN on it. I don't quite see the point of people talking about lack of HINs. At this stage in the world very few production boats don't have HINs.

Dave
It seems somewhat unlikely to me that the Mexican officials would know what the Hull Identification Number is supposed to look like for every different manufactured boat out there. If you put a number on your hull and put that number on all your paperwork as the HIN I can't see how you would have a problem. Are they going to check with a builder that went out of business 20 years at ago? A builder in a foreign country? How many people in NZ speak Spanish?
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-01-2014, 20:49   #283

The marina's lawyer tells me tomorrow or Thursday the Feds will arrive at Marina Nayarit with the expressed purpose of freeing 45+ boats of the 55 impoundees. And that I am on the list to be freed.

I was told I will be handed a 50 page document stating that I was inspected, impounded, reviewed, and my case was resolved satisfactorily.

This document supposedly will supersede all other boat documents going forward allowing me free inter-port transit in Mexico.

"Sitting here in Limbo, waiting for the tide to change,... though their they're putting up resistance I know my faith will lead me on"-Jimmy Cliff.

Word, bro.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-01-2014, 01:00   #284

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
If you were to sail to Mexico from New Zealand, with proper clearance papers, I bet you could just front up and do as the capitaneria suggested and work it all out. If you wanted to stay a long time, it might be more difficult.

We were aboard Squid many years ago: quit an interesting boat.

As to the answer to what would happen if you went there tomorrow, the above's my guess, and that that would work out okay. But none of us get to know our futures, so no guarantees. This present mess seems quite distressing, but I'm still hoping it'll get worked out semi-reasonably. The time's gone on too long for "reasonable."

Ann
Old 29-01-2014, 06:54   #285

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If you were to sail to Mexico from New Zealand, with proper clearance papers, I bet you could just front up and do as the capitaneria suggested and work it all out. If you wanted to stay a long time, it might be more difficult.

We were aboard Squid many years ago: quit an interesting boat.

As to the answer to what would happen if you went there tomorrow, the above's my guess, and that that would work out okay. But none of us get to know our futures, so no guarantees. This present mess seems quite distressing, but I'm still hoping it'll get worked out semi-reasonably. The time's gone on too long for "reasonable."

Ann
One of many things we have to keep our eye on. Either later in 2014 or sometime in 2015 we do have a trip down the west coast of Mexico followed by one up the East coast planned. We will use a local agent. As of right now our plans would be to make the trips. We will not be leaving our boat docked but will be with it.

If it required leaving it docked there for months with none of us there and none or our crew, we wouldn't be comfortable today, but six months from now might feel different. However, today, we don't do that in any country outside the US. We always have at least one crew member or representative of us there. If we'd been going to the same place for decades we might feel different. Then we'd be just as shocked as the long term Mexico cruisers were. But if we loved Mexico as many of them do, we wouldn't let this one occurrence dissuade us completely. A repeat episode we probably would.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Mexico