Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2022, 19:06   #1

FLAG REG?

im a kiwi living in nz who wants to buy a boat in holland dutch flagged and vat paid.go up and cruise the med for 2 seasons and slowly bring it home.
i dont understand the whole flag reg thing.
do i reg in nz when i buy it or when i get home?
keep it dutch reg?
reg in another advantageous country?
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 20:00   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: FLAG REG?

If you are eligible to keep the current registry then that’s the easiest thing to do to keep things simple. But registries often require residence in that country, so you may not qualify to keep the registration and will need to change it. In that case NZ registration is easiest for you. There are consequences if you plan to sail out of New Zealand in the future and will require Cat 1.

There may be issues with maintaining the Vat-paid status with change of ownership and/or vessel registration.

If you’re working with a broker then they should be able to help you.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 20:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
If you are eligible to keep the current registry then that’s the easiest thing to do to keep things simple. But registries often require residence in that country, so you may not qualify to keep the registration and will need to change it. In that case NZ registration is easiest for you. There are consequences if you plan to sail out of New Zealand in the future and will require Cat 1.

There may be issues with maintaining the Vat-paid status with change of ownership and/or vessel registration.

If you’re working with a broker then they should be able to help you.
thankyou.
yes buying thru devalk holland who should be straight up, just like hearing from people who arent selling me something. thanks heaps. do you like your outremer?
Old 04-09-2022, 20:53   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonhantler View Post
im a kiwi living in nz who wants to buy a boat in holland dutch flagged and vat paid.go up and cruise the med for 2 seasons and slowly bring it home.
i dont understand the whole flag reg thing.
do i reg in nz when i buy it or when i get home?
keep it dutch reg?
reg in another advantageous country?

if it has Dutch ICP its worthless in the Med, if it has a 'kadaster' registration see if you can put that in your name and you're golden

alternatively you can opt for your home country flag or Polish flag (quick and affordable)
Old 05-09-2022, 05:13   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Vat status is a function of you and the ownership of the boat , registry flag has nothing to do with it

Flag it where you like , polish registry available to you , quick , easy etc. About €500 via a registration agent

If vat paid as long as it remains in EU waters vat is no longer an issue. Once taken outside Eu waters yiu loose the vat status but the boat can return for 18 months without vat becoming due again
Old 09-09-2022, 07:06   #6

...and the Polish flag accepts non-EU-resident owners. New Zealand private or corporate owners ok. It has the advantage of no renewal fees, unlike NL or other flags.

https://www.polishyachtflag.com/blog...he-polish-flag
greenlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 00:30   #7
Marine Service Provider

In the Netherlands there are two types of Certificates of Registry issued. One for vessels which only navigate the inland waters and the other for sea voyages. For the latter only EU and EEA passport-holders are eligible.

There are EU flag states that accept none-EU and none-EEA passport-holders. Examples are Italy, Portugal and Poland.

De Valk will most certainly be able to advice you in such matters or get you in contact with a party who can advice objectively.
BM2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 00:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrendraaier View Post
In the Netherlands there are two types of Certificates of Registry issued. One for vessels which only navigate the inland waters and the other for sea voyages. For the latter only EU and EEA passport-holders are eligible.

There are EU flag states that accept none-EU and none-EEA passport-holders. Examples are Italy, Portugal and Poland.

De Valk will most certainly be able to advice you in such matters or get you in contact with a party who can advice objectively.
thankyou