Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-01-2009, 20:22   #16
Hal

WOW! I had thought it might be a good idea to have at least one handgun on board while sailing international waters with the world situation. Now, with my luck, I'd probably smile wrong and end up in jail. There must be another way to protect ones self from the pirates.
Old 15-01-2009, 11:07   #17

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
WOW! I had thought it might be a good idea to have at least one handgun on board while sailing international waters with the world situation. Now, with my luck, I'd probably smile wrong and end up in jail. There must be another way to protect ones self from the pirates.
Ever watch Star Trek?

It's called "Self Destruct Mechanism" - apparently.

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
Old 15-01-2009, 12:20   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its probably best to check on that countries website. Information can be in error from other websites (yes, even this one) and information can get old and therefore potentially inaccurate.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 15-01-2009, 12:22   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Hand him a gun that shoots backwards and then tell him is grandma is more macho than is he.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 15-01-2009, 12:35   #20

Quote:
Avoid areas where piracy is a problem. Check out

Yacht Piracy - Information Centre for Bluewater Sailors

among others.

Jack
Old 16-01-2009, 06:10   #21

Boat: Mac 26x

"quote"

So has anyone had any experience or information with items such as a hunting bow and arrow or a scuba spear gun?

i may be wrong but i think that spear guns are illegal here in the UK,the most lethal weapon that is easily purchases is a cross bow,i have a xbow with a compound bow set at 150lbs,at 70 yeards i would imagine that i could kill a deer,however items such as "hunting" arrow tips are totally banned,compund bows are also readily available

It is not too dificult to obtain a shotgun certificate if you can proove the need for such a weapon.

It is nearly impossible to obtain a firearm legally in the UK,if i deemed it nessesary to obtain a firearm for longterm cruising i would have to buy one elsewhere.
Old 16-01-2009, 08:19   #22
Hal

Does anyone carry a weapon on board; shotgun, rifle, pistol? If so, why and have you ever had to use it?
Old 16-01-2009, 08:47   #23

Are you sure you want to go there?

Quote:
Does anyone carry a weapon on board; shotgun, rifle, pistol? If so, why and have you ever had to use it?
I am not sure you want to go there. On cruising forums, this topic is brutal. It has been discussed. Do a title search on your topic.

Jack
Old 16-01-2009, 16:18   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Seriously, The topic covers a huge spectrum. You need to read at least 100 before you can get a grip on what people think. Many areas don't have a lot of opinion difference. This one sets the high water mark like no other. That is based on 6 years of being here. Anchors would be a distant second.
Old 16-01-2009, 16:27   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastonjock View Post
i may be wrong but i think that spear guns are illegal here in the UK
That surprises me (but only kind of )....and useful to know as I hope to visit the bright lights of the mainland at some point and I will have a spear gun onboard......an axe, a machete and I quite fancy a Cutlass (honestly ).

Quote:
It is nearly impossible to obtain a firearm legally in the UK,if i deemed it nessesary to obtain a firearm for longterm cruising i would have to buy one elsewhere.
We are still ok on the gun thing down here. Can get heavy calibre machine guns with the right paperwork. Not sure about popping in to buy enroute - but no reason why not for export with the right paperwork. I probably won't bother myself, but each to their own.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

among others.

Jack
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if the only solution to piracy is to avoid areas where piracy is a problem, then sooner or later there won't be any areas where piracy is not a problem.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:30   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:

among others.
I don't think you can rely on web sites such as this one. It's not really an official site even if it claims it is (it does not). Unless the site is tied to something official you never know how out of date the information is. There is no date on this web site as to when the information was posted let alone where it came from. They indicate all of Europe is without pirate activity but what about violent crime?

Quote:
then sooner or later there won't be any areas where piracy is not a problem.
If you include all violent crime in all locations it is pretty well established there is some everywhere. In the scope of violent criminal activity I think the web sites you might check are totally lacking with reliable and up to date information. This type of information changes far too quickly for broad generalizations. It would be very simple if it were. Following local cruisers nets and other real time information sources are going to be much more accurate.

Should you become a victim of violent crime I doubt you will care if they are recognized officially as pirates or not. Monitoring all violent crime world wide is not yet a reality.
Old 29-08-2010, 06:58   #28

Boat: 33ft sloop
@ Gord May

The gunlaws for the EU are equal per country and there are no individual laws specified per EU country. There is one general ruling.
The final execution of the EU law may differ per country.

In the daily life you cannot import any type of firearm within the EU outside some very small exceptions (i.e. Very pistol, if licensed and specified on your ship's documents.

It is different when you have an official registered vessel (Merfchant Register) with all certificates and complying to all regulations which may differ per country. In such a case there are different regulations.

In general the EU law is based on the Dutch gunlaw which has always been the most sharpest and restricted in the EEG, which is now EU.

Guns are outlawed in the EU to put it simple.
Old 29-08-2010, 07:12   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Thanks GM! Great research! I now know where I will not cruise. There is plenty of the US, Bahamas, and Cuba to keep me busy for the rest of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Guns are outlawed in the EU to put it simple.
I wonder..... has anyone told that to the outlaws?

I sail with a Mossberg 500 12 Gauge. I have a secure locker for it aboard. If a country doesn't want me to have the ability to defend myself on the high seas, then it doesn't want my money... There is no place I care to go so bad that I will go defenseless, ain't gonna happen! Similarly, I will not get on a commercial flight anymore either!
Old 29-08-2010, 07:36   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I found out something interesting while I was in Turkey.
In Marmaris they will sell you a semi auto shotgun on presentation of your passport which they take a copy.

Any sports store has fishing lines out front and guns down back...

Its only useful if you are heading south through the Gulf of Aden and then chuck the damn thing overboard.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Closed Thread