Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2021, 13:14   #151

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'
Re: Coast Goard hovercraft hits unlit anchored sailboat with no radar reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That is kinda hard to visualize, mate! So you get a return from 30 miles away. How did you know that it was from a sub periscope? Not likely that you could see it visually to identify it, not likely that it would still be there if you had gone to investigate (and why would you do so?).

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on this incredible sighting.

Jim
As a former sub-sailor, I am wondering the same thing...
Old 29-11-2021, 13:15   #152

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Coast Goard hovercraft hits unlit anchored sailboat with no radar reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That is kinda hard to visualize, mate! So you get a return from 30 miles away. How did you know that it was from a sub periscope? Not likely that you could see it visually to identify it, not likely that it would still be there if you had gone to investigate (and why would you do so?).

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit on this incredible sighting.

Jim

Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 13:21   #153

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidla View Post
I have thirty years plus of operating radars in the marine environment. I once picked up a submarine periscope at 30nm in a sea state 2. (Believe me they don't have radar reflectors.) I picked up yachts at that range and they did not have radar reflectors. A colleague picked up a fishing vessel cooler (esky) at about 20nm. This was completely made of plastic and had no radar signature at all! How did it get detected? It was carrying two refugees and it was lower in the water. Radar can detect a hole in the water easily. Thats why I can see whales in the great barrier reef at 30nm.
The problem with radar is it needs to be scanned continuously to be effective at dealing with issues such as this, by a competent operator who knows the area.
Define "nm". nautical meter??
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 13:27   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
We know the eyewitness account of the hovercraft at 10-20+ kts is wrong from AIS data. I think we discount the 10 ft report. The light in the bow is suspect due to the poor credibility of the eyewitness. Eyewitness accounts are rarely fact.
Damn Accurate given the data you mention.

They said 10 to 15 Knots, they were there, 10 ft from it, others saw it too.
It was doing 8, I might add the inertia of this vessel is massive, AT ANY SPEED.
Helm saw it to late, clipped the bow sprit.

But got by it, just a blip in the routine.
This time!

Don't know why you would discount EYE Witness statements.
There are more than One.
Boatyarddog
Old 29-11-2021, 13:33   #155

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Don't know why you would discount EYE Witness statements.
There are more than One.
Footnotes? Only one report of an eyewitness and based on demonstrated errors in fact suspect across the board. What else is there?

Ask anyone in the legal system, maritime or not, about the accuracy of eyewitnesses.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 13:35   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Define "nm". nautical meter??
NM (nautical mile) 1.1508 statute miles
Statute mile. 5280 ft= 1 mile.
Boatyarddog
Old 29-11-2021, 13:37   #157

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Ask anyone in the legal system, maritime or not, about the accuracy of eyewitnesses.
Exactly!
Old 29-11-2021, 13:40   #158

Quote:
Footnotes? Only one report of an eyewitness and based on demonstrated errors in fact suspect across the board. What else is there?

Why?
Because it doesn't fit your narrative?
You weren't there, they were.
It's in the press, find it yourself.
There's some video too!
Sheesh!
Boatyarddog
Old 29-11-2021, 13:44   #159

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Doesn't show up in my search. The one eyewitness I saw reported, Mr. Mandolin, has already been shown to be unreliable. You say there is more.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 14:08   #160

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Why?
Because it doesn't fit your narrative?
There's some video too!
Sheesh!
Boatyarddog
The speed estimate is demonstrably exaggerated. You don't have to have been there to see that.

Have you looked at the video? The only 1 I found shows the hovercraft from a distance apparently moving at 3 or 4 kn. You can't draw any conclusions from that.

CCG probably referred to the boat as a sailboat because it has(had) a bow sprit. The former owner calls it a wood hulled cabin cruiser. (no mast or rigging)
The picture of the boat shows no evidence of a light.

A crew of only 2 is probably not a great idea at night given the deficiencies of the hovercraft.
Old 29-11-2021, 14:57   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

I was just through Ganges Harbour in October.
Yes the seaplane markers take up the center of the waterway.
There is a major marker as you near the marina and the Seaplane designated area. It states 5 knots no wake.

The fairway near the moored boats with some at anchor is narrow at the extreme. Even with a maneuverable boat, 5 knots was to fast.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 15:28   #162

Why all the kafuffle? If the owner of the "sailboat" - if it has one, which thee and me don't know - feels aggrieved, he will claim on his insurance. His insurance - if he has any - will subrogate on the insurer for the Canadian Federal Government - which is ALSO the Canadian Federal Government. If he has no insurance, it'll learn 'im to let 'is baby lie about where she shouldn't be!

So it'll most likely go like this: Hoverbase CO will say to the skipper of Siyay: "Wha' 'appen, Jim". Jim will say: "Damned wreck jumped out in front of me!". CO will say "Oh, okay". CO will phone up his superior at the DOF office on Kent Street in Ottawa and clue him in. The Superior on Kent Street will phone up his opposite number in the Treasury Department over on Main Street, and say, "Hey Jack - you wanna go for lunch?". The two of them will have a good lunch on the Canadian Tax Payer's dime, and that is where the whole thing will come to a blessed rest.

While all that is going on, the deckhands will have rubbed out the scuffmarks on Siyay's hull - if that's what you call it - and polished 'er up all shight and briny.

For those who's never been to Ganges, the distance, as the chopper flies, from the helipad at Lady Minto Hospital to the seaplane dock, which is, I dare say, where Siyay went, is all of 2/3 of a mile! On foot it's a ten minute walk. From LMH to Vancouver General Hospital is 29 miles. Nautical ones! So why didn't they use a helicopter? Because every single one capable of IFR was in use dealing with a flood the likes of which we've never seen. It was after dark so VFR wouldn't cut it, and besides the weather was deteriorating.

This day's helicopter task is to rescue tens of thousands of dairy cattle that may very well drown if we, on the Canadian side of the 49th, don't fix the problems that ensue from the deficiencies of the diking of the Nooksack River in Washington State! If necessary we "longline" them out from their flooded farms by helicopter! Civilianized Hueys, actually. Ironic that - isn't it? :-)

It hard to know about stuff like that, and therefore to make apposite comments, if you are stuck in, say St. Augustine, FL :-). Best let us local yokels worry about how to deal with this kinda thing :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:14   #163

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Have you looked at the video? The only 1 I found shows the hovercraft from a distance apparently moving at 3 or 4 kn. You can't draw any conclusions from that.
Do you have a link to the video?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:19   #164

Boat: Lagoon 380
Coast Goard hovercraft hits unlit anchored sailboat with no radar reflector.

A huge hovercraft was a ridiculous choice for this mission.
Reminds me of a hook and ladder truck responding to a fender bender. At least there, its effective to block traffic
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2021, 16:30   #165

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
A huge hovercraft was a ridiculous choice for this mission.
Reminds me of a hook and ladder truck responding to a fender bender. At least there, its effective to block traffic
Well, when there is a state of emergency in the province and even the military resources are being deployed, well, you take what you can get.

Tags
anchor, boat, radar, sail, sailboat