Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2014, 09:31   #16

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: California SB 941?

My opinion is that this is about revenue, not safety. Therefore, it would be interesting to compare states that have vessel licensing (CT, PA, etc) to those that don't.

What are the rate of accidents between those? That would tell if the licensing has a safety effect. Betcha it's negligible, therefore the data would not support additional legislation WRT licensing. Notice that most of the CA dwellers immediately think this is all about the $$$. "It's for Safety" and "Think about the children" are often used to ensure that debate does not occur. (And the other fun CA trick, holding the state parks/public schools hostage)

Unfortunately for the state, many individuals are taking Sailorchick's view - i.e. "I'm outta here." This is an extremely reasonable and logical position. IMHO, it's exactly what should happen. Unfortunately for the rest of the population of the state many of those leaving are taking their businesses with them. Heck, we've got ads running on the radio with the Governor of Texas talking about moving industry there. This is affecting State revenue, and the State is trying to make it up wherever it can.

It's already illegal to BUI. More legislation will not change that. If the data from comparing licensed states to non-licensed states shows that licensing significantly improves safety, I'd change my mind.

And the data presented earlier shows what I think we all likely thought - most accidents are runabouts and PWC. I'm actually a bit surprised that most accidents weren't PWC.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 09:53   #17

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
My opinion is that this is about revenue, not safety. Therefore, it would be interesting to compare states that have vessel licensing (CT, PA, etc) to those that don't.

What are the rate of accidents between those? That would tell if the licensing has a safety effect. Betcha it's negligible, therefore the data would not support additional legislation WRT licensing. Notice that most of the CA dwellers immediately think this is all about the $$$. "It's for Safety" and "Think about the children" are often used to ensure that debate does not occur. (And the other fun CA trick, holding the state parks/public schools hostage)

Unfortunately for the state, many individuals are taking Sailorchick's view - i.e. "I'm outta here." This is an extremely reasonable and logical position. IMHO, it's exactly what should happen. Unfortunately for the rest of the population of the state many of those leaving are taking their businesses with them. Heck, we've got ads running on the radio with the Governor of Texas talking about moving industry there. This is affecting State revenue, and the State is trying to make it up wherever it can.

It's already illegal to BUI. More legislation will not change that. If the data from comparing licensed states to non-licensed states shows that licensing significantly improves safety, I'd change my mind.

And the data presented earlier shows what I think we all likely thought - most accidents are runabouts and PWC. I'm actually a bit surprised that most accidents weren't PWC.

In total agreement with all of the above says a current California resident & future resident of Green Corral Cove, Florida. (St. Brendan's Isle Inc).
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 06:59   #18

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Been looking at Florida myself. Once my family obligations are settled out some here, I have plans to visit. The company I work for has made clear that there is a standing opening for me with their Florida division should I relocate. That is making it hard to say no...

Once they get this fee/license/tax (whatever they choose to call it, there will be more legislation following on the heels. That is the way this state seems to operate. Sadly, if you earn money here and are keeping any of it...you are not paying your fair share.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:14   #19

It really is too bad that it seems to be headed that way, this is a wonderful place to live. I can accept it costing a little more to live here, I call it a "Paradise tax", but I don't want to feel like I'm being taken advantage of.
Old 15-04-2014, 10:54   #20

Boat: Various

Wifey B: No.....no more people to Florida....darn they make it too attractive here, everyone wants to come.

Oops.......we only got here in 2012. Guess we shouldn't yell for them to close the door. Come on over guys.

Like any state it has it's positives and negatives though. So does California. Wherever you live, think of the positives. Understand the negatives are only what you put up with to have the positives.

And ultimately the quality of any place you live is going to be built by the friends you make there. That's why the entire world is great.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:11   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it's South Fl you wanting to move to, go ahead, apparently no one is from South Fl. People are usually from way up North, anything south of Lakeland is a subdivision of New Jersey
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:21   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: No.....no more people to Florida....darn they make it too attractive here, everyone wants to come.

Oops.......we only got here in 2012. Guess we shouldn't yell for them to close the door. Come on over guys.

Like any state it has it's positives and negatives though. So does California. Wherever you live, think of the positives. Understand the negatives are only what you put up with to have the positives.

And ultimately the quality of any place you live is going to be built by the friends you make there. That's why the entire world is great.

Wifey B, I won't take up much room. I'll end up being a "Resident" of Florida who is cruising and traveling elsewhere throughout the year.

Tags
cal, california