Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 14:47   #1

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
California SB 941?

Was just reading about California Senate Bill 941, Boat Operator Certification. It sounds like it would require anyone operating a vessel in California waters to have what amount to a license. If adopted, it appears that to operate any vessel with a motor without this state mandated cert would be an infraction.

Not seeing too much on this bill.

Not to sound like I am against safe boating, but this sounds like yet another permitting scheme hatched on residents of the state.
Old 12-04-2014, 16:03   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: California SB 941?

I haven't heard anything about it.

But I betcha there's a fee involved. Yet another "it's only $30" fee to feed the state.

Like I found out there's a new 1% air resources tax on lumber. Yup. Buy a board at HD, and you get to pay 1% to the state for clean air. (Don't get me wrong, I like clean air. But a 2x4 isn't gonna pollute too much)

And a $1 recycling fee on each can of paint. I use the whole can, why am I paying for recycling. Oh, and recycled paint is worth $ -- they sell it.

It's not about safety - it's gonna be about the fee.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 16:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I haven't heard anything about it.

But I betcha there's a fee involved. Yet another "it's only $30" fee to feed the state.

Like I found out there's a new 1% air resources tax on lumber. Yup. Buy a board at HD, and you get to pay 1% to the state for clean air. (Don't get me wrong, I like clean air. But a 2x4 isn't gonna pollute too much)

And a $1 recycling fee on each can of paint. I use the whole can, why am I paying for recycling. Oh, and recycled paint is worth $ -- they sell it.

It's not about safety - it's gonna be about the fee.

More importantly, What the heck is paying 1% or 50% going to do for the air? It will only add to the coffers of the hot air generators. They will not to a D-- F'n thing with it but add it to the general fund. They all figure it they sign a law with green ink nobody will complain or call them on it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 16:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the subject of the OP, I have mixed emotions. We see terribly incompetent boaters (usually power vessels, sorry) doing the most bone-headed things that it seems a reasonable idea that operating a vessel over ??--** feet might require that you had passed a safety exam not unlike a drivers test. The really stupid boaters don't know what 5 blasts of a horn means or how to interpret passing signals or that anchoring in the channel is not legal etc. At least a rules of the road test could have some use. Remember, the goal is fewer altercations, accidents, rage. Its not to tax the users.
Old 12-04-2014, 17:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Many state including CT have this. I was in CT driving a large RIB a few years back, the owner said "don't worry" you have a FL drivers license they can't give you a ticket since you're from out of state.
Old 12-04-2014, 18:06   #6

I too have mixed emotions about this. I think that some training would be a good thing, but I also know that the residents of this state are fee'd to near bankruptcy. I have heard the term safety used numerous times to justify a fee, cert, regulation or license here and it always ends up being about the money.

Wish there was some way to do this from within the boating community while leaving the politicians to find some other way to fleece.
Old 12-04-2014, 18:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't want to see fees either. The general boating community might put themselves at risk - usually life jackets or reckless operation. These are 99% near shore, small craft and the local sheriff & CG have a field day with them. To me, the much higher hazard is from the bozos who buy a too big boat, with little or no prior experience, and put a lot of people at risk. We've taken a totally defensive posture & assume any (Power boater) may be counted on to do the most bizarre things unimaginable. It would be low impact to most boaters if the guys that can afford to buy a 60 foot Sea Ray had to produce than a pail of money as qualification. The equivalent of a marine driver's license or more, such as 6-pack or masters. Tough one to answer. Either we all manage the issue with ed programs or the gov't or insurers will ram it down our throats - in the un-attack-able name of 'safety'.
Old 12-04-2014, 20:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Reading the bill, there is an age delay. It will not go into effect till 2018 and I'll not need to worry about it till 2025. There is a very strong possibility, I'll be out of cali, before even 2018.

Bill Text -
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 21:33   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44

I want speed cameras and wake cameras in the no wake zones. Usually we just chase down those that miss what it means. Much better if the local politicos get funded by the very few that mess it up. Yeah more government saving us from ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 22:01   #10

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Remember, the goal is fewer altercations, accidents, rage. Its not to tax the users.

Sorry, it's all about revenue, the powers that be in this state care little about fewer altercation, accidents, etc. If you don't live here you can't believe how much the the State Employee, the Prison Guard, and Teachers Unions control what happens politically in this state, votes cost money. Lots of state employees living on pretty nice salaries with pensions only you and I could dream of.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 23:19   #11

Boat: Various

Many countries, many states have operators licenses in one form or another. Some apply to all motor vessels, some to only certain sizes. It's always seemed somewhat strange to me, and I've been operating motor boats since I was a young child, that we require licenses for driving cars and nothing for boats. I suspect any proposed bill will be tossed around a good bit before being finalized. I think, as with most things, there is probably a reasonable compromise. Perhaps above a certain hp requiring completion of some type boating course. Canada requires proof of competency, which can take several forms but is most often through completion of a safety course. In 2012, California had 247 boating injuries and 53 fatalities. Could it potentially reduce them? I think it's quite possible. Maybe just save a few lives a year and a few more serious injuries and losses of limbs.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 23:32   #12

California SB 941?

This might be of interest for those who can't sleep.
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...12ReportR2.pdf

I think they could safely leave those of us with sails alone.
Old 13-04-2014, 06:41   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
This might be of interest for those who can't sleep.
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...12ReportR2.pdf

I think they could safely leave those of us with sails alone.
Thanks for the link Red Sky. This follows my observations re power boats, both large & small.

Spring yacht club guest lecture in Cleveland 20 years ago told us that nearly all drownings were young adult males. Most had been drinking and 90% had theri fly open.

By the time you are driving a blow-boat of any size, you have probably been boating long enough to teach the course. A fat check book & a bottle can get an incompetent person on any size powered vessel in a day, including PWC. I had to drill into this report along way to even find mention of sailboats. (Pg 47) The total number of sail related incidents is so small that it would be statistically worthless to further break down the cause, other than that 1/2 of the fatalities were from drowning.

"The most common types of vessels involved in reported accidents were open
motorboats (47%), personal watercraft (19%), and cabin motorboats (15%)."

Also of note is the list of incidents by hours of experience. The bulk of injuries occurred to those with over 100 hours. Not sure how much good a 'license' would do. Under 'Education' there was not even a line devoted to CG credentialed operators.

What is clear is that we are statistically insignificant. If our data was eliminated from the totals, it would result in almost no change in the results.
Old 13-04-2014, 10:10   #14

I think the transition from driving a vehicle on land to operating a vessel on the water has something to do with it also. No brakes and loss of steering when you pull back on the throttle due to no rudder on a power boat/PWC is very foreign to most people. Look at a lot drivers on the road who get into a think quick situation, most stomp the brakes. I read once that most Porsches that are totaled in accidents are going backwards when they hit whatever they hit. Add speed and booze...
Old 13-04-2014, 19:59   #15

Booze...even with low speeds seems to be a recipe for disaster. I attended a lecture while taking a boating course years ago that guestimated 90% of accidents where significant property damage or injury occurred involved alcohol or drugs coupled with inexperience.

Regardless, Red Sky is correct...this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with another revenue stream for Sacramento.

SC43 - take me with you! Hehehe, have thought about leaving so many times, but family keeps me here for now. Mom and Dad need my support, so I am staying put for now.

Tags
cal, california