Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 21:22   #46

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post
I use coloured flashing lights regularly - I don't think they can be mistaken for other lights specified in Colregs (rule 20 b) and so I don't see any problem using them.

Another alternative would be to use a decklight or spreader light to illuminate the deck. Which is encouraged by Colregs (rule 30 c ). LEDs would be ideal
Rule 30 also says
COLREGS - Boating Safety
Quote:

Rule 30

Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.
Sounds like I "may" use almost any light I like to make my vessel visible
Old 11-11-2010, 21:41   #47

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
How about LED net lights all around the boat, attached just like lifeline netting:

Old 11-11-2010, 23:35   #48

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Sounds like I "may" use almost any light I like to make my vessel visible
That's the way I read it - as long as they don't look like any other light configurations defined in Colregs (which would contravene rule 20)
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 23:55   #49

Love the salt shaker light!!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 00:17   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
How about LED net lights all around the boat, attached just like lifeline netting:
That would look sensational!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 00:34   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
That would look sensational!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or those icicle lite sets
Old 12-11-2010, 01:21   #52

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
What a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or those icicle lite sets
Or better still something like this

And when the mothership comes down through the clouds all the gunlovers can blast it with their 50 cal's
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29   #53

Boy Oh Boy

I bet you would NEVER lose your boat with all that on it. And every one else would have to be blind to not see it!
Old 20-11-2010, 05:25   #54

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
here is a snip from USCG Rule of Road FAQs
Navigation Rules FAQ

Quote:
14. Can I use Strobe Lights to be more visible at night? For any other lights beyond those specifically defined within the Navigation Rules they should be such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules, or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out (Rule 20).

Displaying a strobe for "higher visibility" would confuse other vessels as to your navigational status (many aids to navigation use a strobe or flashing). Also, lights provide direction and aspect information to other boat operators. For example, if while operating my vessel I see a red light on my starboard side I know I am the give-way vessel (Rule 16, 17). The use of a strobe light could overwhelm a vessel's navigation lights and cease to provide such crucial direction and aspect information to other boat operators.

Also, Rule 36 of the International Rules addresses signals to attract attention and for the purpose of [that] rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided. Rule 37 of the Inland Rules addresses strobes in regards to distress signals so that when a vessel is in distress and requires assistance she shall use...a high intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50 to 70 times per minute.

Since strobe light use is to be avoided (International waters) or used as a distress signal (Inland waters), it cannot be used to routinely mark vessels operating on the water.
Old 20-11-2010, 05:32   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

LMAO.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
ODE TO COLREGS

Blinking white, cardinal light,
What can one safely do,
Masthead white, or star at night,
Confusion here, rampant, too

Cruise ship lit up, bright as day,
Every color under the sun,
Subs orange, cops blue
Limiting my fun

Around the mooring field I steam,
And now I start to gloat,
Christmas light, really bright,
I'm alongside Mark's boat.

Spakesheare

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 05:37   #56
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Since strobe light use is to be avoided (International waters) or used as a distress signal (Inland waters), it cannot be used to routinely mark vessels operating on the water.

Ahhh.... but if your 'On da Hook'..... your not operating...
Apart from cork/ring pull removals....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 17:43   #57

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Ahhh.... but if your 'On da Hook'..... your not operating...
Apart from cork/ring pull removals....
It doesn't say "operating", it says "Displaying a strobe for "higher visibility" would confuse other vessels as to your navigational status"...

being anchored is a navigational status.
Old 07-07-2012, 21:28   #58

Re: Are Blinking Anchor Lights Legal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
red anchor lights required on larger vessels due to aviation rules. (...) required by law.
Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
Hi Judy,
I have just joined a mega yacht that is not equipped with such red light (old boat) so I was wondering what the rule was about it (boat length, mast height). But I cannot find this regulation on the net. Do you know where I could find it?
I am myself against lights that are not going along with the rules as I often find them very annoying (especially the flashing light -strobes or the more and more common flashing LED- disturbing eye sight at night) but if regulation obliges, I will have to equip the boat with it.
Thank you for your help.

For English Harbour, Antigua: the alignment lights do not always work... The channel however, where the danger lies, is now very well marked and lightened. When one approaches slowly to the first red mark, the wind decreases and one enters the bay in calm winds and seas... towards the 1st red light, keeping it close to Starboard. Then the other green give enough room to turn and continue the route in.
I don't think large yachts should enter at night anyway unless they know the area very well.

Voileusement...
LaVoileuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 21:44   #59

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Does any one else remember when you hoisted a kerosene lantern on the main halyard with a light messenger line to the end of the boom to keep it from swinging against the mast? Sailed with that rig and anchored in harbors from Alaska to southern Mexico and never got run down at night. Oh, the days of simplicity... only one battery for starting and a hand crank when it didn't work... candles and kero lights below and felt we were livin' the life... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 21:37   #60

I am positive that the strobe anchor lights are NOT legal as they can be mistaken for navigation lights such as buoys, as mentioned above.
Otherwise, THEY ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID! There are 3 of these idiots right now in the anchorage in Admiralty Bay, Bequia, as a matter of fact.
Try entering an anchorage at night, possibly in inclement weather, and you are trying to locate that vessel, but just as you almost get a bearing; it's off, then on, then off & oh yes, the boat's swinging on her anchor, so the stupid light comes on in a different place from where it went off. You're moving; it's moving....
Got the idea?
I hate people who think they are so smart & can do just as they please, no matter that some pretty smart people have taken several centuries to work out a set of regulations which work pretty well for all. Go by the book & you can't lose.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor