Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 18:40   #136

Re: Anybody Fight CA over Hailing Port/Tax BS?

So who's got bail money for me?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 18:49   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If the state used this resource Office of Science and Technology OR Office of Science and Technology it is easy to see the owner's address is not in Ca. Seems a bit outrageous to presume (guilty) for someone living hundreds of miles & states away. There is also deep dive info accessable to the states that we do not see as a result of clearing title on a boat. We all can pay to see the much longer record the CG has on us & our boats. It is like the title search on a house. It notes who previously owned it, when sold, how much, where it is and a lot more. California is operating a shake-down. Who's to say BTW perhaps the contact to the OP came from some crook in Kenya, also cruising the list?

This is very much like the cop pulling you over for a tail light and demanding to see proof of insurance. (10th amendment violation BTW) Since the data base attached to your vehicle's plate reveals you insurance and more, they are only trolling for $$$$. If you can't lay your fingers on the redundant piece of paper because your truck is full of boat junk & tools and its 4:30 AM in the dark on a busy road, you pay the fine for driving uninsured, go to court, pay court costs, have a record. They knew I was covered. It had fallen under the seat. Any time stuff makes no sense, follow the money.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 22:15   #138

Boat: 45ft Ketch

xymotic Your campaign has my respect.

Must ensure your letter has "Copy to" someone in media or government who doesn't like them. Never give them the opportunity to think you think you are alone. Bullies prefer to attack the helpless.

Good on yer mate.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 23:50   #139

I'm really kicking myself; when the Gentleman said "I'm not a Nigerian Prince"

I sooooo wish I would have said "Well; you need to send me notarized proof of that"

Nothing like thinking of a witty retort DAYS later
Old 09-05-2014, 00:29   #140

To the OP:

I guess it's no surprise that taxes are high, if there are enough people who share your commitment to making tax authorities expend maximal effort (at the expense of their taxpayers) just to get the information they need, before they can even know if you are legitimately one of their taxpayers.

Because if you were, and they didn't do their job, it would just increase the impost on their other taxpayers.

If it hadn't been for people paying their taxes, it seems to me residents of the "United" States would still be shooting squirrels for the pot.

Or, very possibly, speaking German or Russian.

Or both.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 00:56   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Damn, Andrew, squirrels have pot? No wonder they get shot.

Coops.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:13   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Damn, Andrew, squirrels have pot? No wonder they get shot.

Coops.
Hell, Coops, it's worse than that.
They'll kill each other for it.
And
eat each other -
they're cannabiloids, after all ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:18   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Had a can of biloids once, swapped 'em for a tube of haemorrhoids. Not sure that it was a good deal though, the bottom fell out of the market.

Coops.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:16   #144
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anybody Fight CA over Hailing Port/Tax BS?

Shoulda told them right at the start.. it was a clerical error.. it should read Bollywood...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:38   #145

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Had a can of biloids once, swapped 'em for a tube of haemorrhoids. Not sure that it was a good deal though, the bottom fell out of the market.

Coops.
Hilarious.
Old 09-05-2014, 14:21   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I'm really kicking myself; when the Gentleman said "I'm not a Nigerian Prince"

I sooooo wish I would have said "Well; you need to send me notarized proof of that"

Nothing like thinking of a witty retort DAYS later
As I posted earlier, I think you should make him prove he's not a Nigerian scammer by making him take a pic of himself in his office holding a dead mullet in one hand and today's Sacramento Bee in the other hand, then have him post the pic on here using the board name "Nigerian Tax Collector."
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 14:25   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
To the OP:

I guess it's no surprise that taxes are high, if there are enough people who share your commitment to making tax authorities expend maximal effort (at the expense of their taxpayers) just to get the information they need, before they can even know if you are legitimately one of their taxpayers.

Because if you were, and they didn't do their job, it would just increase the impost on their other taxpayers.

If it hadn't been for people paying their taxes, it seems to me residents of the "United" States would still be shooting squirrels for the pot.

Or, very possibly, speaking German or Russian.

Or both.
That's a very interesting perspective

#1 I am not making tax authorities do ANYTHING

#2 This SHOULD HAVE been resolved with the first phone call or the first letter (at most)

#3 In all seriousness; the State of California just paid a guy to email me saying he can't email me unless I print out and snail-mail them a form where another employee will read it and enter a check box into a computer system maintained by how many other people? Who wrote the policy? Who approved the form? Who designed the form? Who converted the form to PDF? Who runs the website to maintain the form? I can pretty much guarantee you they are all different people all (extremely) well paid employees (and lawyers) who's time would be better spent on things a little more important than Authorizing electronic communications through a mailroom

Who else runs any sort of process like that? Even hospitals who have extreme legal burdens on them don't pull crap like that - But the State(s) are not anwerable to anyone because the people responsible for oversight (us) have simply failed to do their jobs and 'we the people' don't demand better

Here in Washington the DOT has had BILLIONS is waste and stupidity uncovered; they built a bridge in the wrong place in a major freeway project; it was discovered when the rest of the freeway was finished and pretty much everybody went home all they had to do was connect in the middle and "oops" so the whole interchange sat idle for a year

They rebuilt the wheel and custom designed a floating bridge hiring their own engineering departments and that project's been delayed for two years trying to fix leaks they don't understand and massive cracks in brand new cement that they expect people to drive cars accros a major body of water on!?

Seattle voters have approved a monorail in two separate elections but the state built a surface light rail instead which is WAY over budget and WAY underperforming

They saw nearly identical freeway upgrade project examples of a tunnel in boston (disaster) and tear it out and make open space project in SFO (Huge success) and decided to follow Boston down the rabbit hole building a tunnel nobody wanted in earthquake country; next to a major body of water - the machine was expected to break and it did when they ran it into a metal pipe that the DOT itself installed as part of this same project and they've insisted that the 24 month delay won't cost taxpayors a dime (Riiiiiiiight)

And my point in all of that is that NO ONE has been fired except perhaps the Mayor who lost a squeeker election

#4 CA is scrounging for revenue in places they have no business to be in and exerting onerous terms and conditions on people they have ZERO jurisdiction over

#5 in this particular case they are fighting pretty hard for $5000 which to be honest is CHUMP CHANGE but even that is completely outragious on a $6000 transaction

#6 if California had any legit ties to this boat; it's well within their power to check their own data to find it! If this boat were sold in CA or Stored In CA; they would have a record of it; simple as that. They get reports from EVERY MARINA IN THE STATE; they physically walk the docks recording boat names; And they collect sales tax from every boat yard and storage lot in the state as well -

One guy with a PC and a letter folder could generate a heck of a lot more revenue that this entire boondogle

#7 given the above I would argue that the entire process is an obscene waste of money; and the only reason taxes are so high is to pay for their gross incompetence and abject stupidity and arrogance- And I'm a freakin tax lovin liberal Democrat

And lastly I don't really think state taxes had very much at all to do with winning the cold war or WWII but I can guarantee you that even in 1940 $5000 didn't go all that far and if they'd pulled this crap right after the last great depression Sacramento woulda been burnt to the ground Personally I can't understand why everyone else is so passive about injustice they face every day

I don't put up with this sort of crap from Wells Fargo; Comcast or AT&T either and yet statistically it's better business to be rapacious lying thieves

They make more stealing than they lose in customers but that's only true because their customers (you and me) "usually" tolerate it
Old 09-05-2014, 14:32   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Shoulda told them right at the start.. it was a clerical error.. it should read Bollywood...

Bollywood Canada? That's All I need! having the BC provincial government coming after me for canadian taxes on my US Coast Guard Hailing port

Oh wait; kinda the exact same thing isn't it!?
Old 09-05-2014, 15:06   #149

At the end of the day it seems that some simply prefer to be offended and are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that they are.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 15:15   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
At the end of the day it seems that some simply prefer to be offended and are willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that they are.
how DARE you sir!?!?!?!

What actually does offend me is when people deliberately act badly because they expect you to 'get over it'

It's true that we can't really know where any person's line is but it doesn't make the offensive behaviour excusable