Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 06:05   #91
cruiser

Re: Anchoring restrictions introduced in Florida bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I know where I live, the state contracted to build a non-opening bridge over a bay here, and when a boat builder whose navigation of the waters would have been affected by it complained to the Coast Guard, that alone was enough. The Coast Guard ordered them not to build the bridge unless they either put a drawbridge in or built it 20 feet higher. The state howled, and said the Coast Guard couldn't tell them what to do, and complained that it was going to cost millions more if they complied with the Coast Guard order, but that bridge is now the height the Coast Guard told them they had to build it at.

You like to use this example. What is interesting, and that people should know, is that there are no less than four bascule bridges between that bridge and the boat builder (Cowan-Lorraine, Popps Ferry, I-110 (which has a SIX HOUR notice to open), and the CSX Biloxi bridge.)

There had to be other factors involved in that bridge height decision.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:10   #92

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Hearing on Restrictive Florida Anchoring Bill Scheduled March 31 – Can You Come to Tallahassee Tuesday?

The Florida Senate Bill that would drastically change anchoring laws in the state – and set a precedent for other states – will be read in a committee hearing at the Capitol in Tallahassee, March 31. Cruising advocates are calling for anyone against this legislation – and its 200-foot residential setbacks – to attend the hearing and speak – and for others to send email letters to the committee members. More...Hearing scheduled for Florida anchoring restrictions bill - Tuesday, Mar. 31 located in Gulf Coast - Florida | Waterway Guide News Update
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:34   #93

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Hearing on Restrictive Florida Anchoring Bill Scheduled March 31 – Can You Come to Tallahassee Tuesday?

The Florida Senate Bill that would drastically change anchoring laws in the state – and set a precedent for other states – will be read in a committee hearing at the Capitol in Tallahassee, March 31. Cruising advocates are calling for anyone against this legislation – and its 200-foot residential setbacks – to attend the hearing and speak – and for others to send email letters to the committee members. More...Hearing scheduled for Florida anchoring restrictions bill - Tuesday, Mar. 31 located in Gulf Coast - Florida | Waterway Guide News Update
You can email committee members by selecting each one from:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/Show/EP/
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:47   #94

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My first reaction on reading your post was to reply that you're an idiot but I've been informed that that doesn't fit with the "be nice" policy of this forum so I won't say it.

I will say that you are as far off as possible in your assessment of me and my feelings. I'm not going to bother refuting each of your statements because you wouldn't understand. Try to get some help understanding my posts before you reply next time.

C'mon, you know you made those 2,100 posts to position yourself for this moment!

Woops, I'm feeding the troll, sorry!

l
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 19:27   #95

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Interestingly, the 1548 is being sponsored by the chair of the committee - a Republican. All the other business for that day is from another member.

Of the eight members of the board, only two are democrat. The two democrats don't have a horse in the race because they don't represent districts that border saltwater. Why go against a majority committee for something that has no/little impact on your district.

That is a problem.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 19:39   #96

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Interestingly, the 1548 is being sponsored by the chair of the committee - a Republican. All the other business for that day is from another member.

Of the eight members of the board, only two are democrat.

That is a problem.
Yes, the chair's pet project...scary.

There is a bill in the house that looks like an attempt to deal with derelicts....hopefully it makes it and this one dies.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...SS%2015-06.pdf
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:14   #97

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread discussion is good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:41   #98

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

Of the eight members of the board, only two are democrat. The two democrats don't have a horse in the race because they don't represent districts that border saltwater. Why go against a majority committee for something that has no/little impact on your district.

That is a problem.
Why does it matter what political party the sponsor is? Isn't politics a "no-no" on this forum?
Old 30-03-2015, 15:21   #99

Boat: Catalina 320

[QUOTE=rwidman;1789186]Why does it matter what political party the sponsor is? Isn't politics a "no-no" on this forum?[/QU

I think he was mocking the hypocrisy of our representatives here in Florida.
Florida's legislative body is 100% run by wealthy big business Republicans. They clam to be the party of deregulation and personal freedom. I would think anchoring my boat were I please is a personal freedom.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 20:40   #100

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Not mocking at all - would not matter if it was republicans or democrats or liberals. One party holds 75% of the seats. They usually vote along party lines. The chairman almost always gets the vote the way they want it. Its how committees work.

If it had been 60% R and 40% D then there may have been a chance to sway the vote but this was not to be apparently.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 12:00   #101

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Florida anchoring ban bill narrowly passes Senate committee

The amended SB CS-1260, banning overnight anchoring in specific anchorages in Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale with "safe harbor" and other exceptions, narrowly passed the Environmental Preservation and Conservation committee today, 5 to 4. Six attendees spoke against the bill and one waived against the bill. One attendee spoke in favor of the bill.The bill has now passed two committees and may be referred to a third and final committee.... Florida anchoring ban bill narrowly passes Senate committee located in General | Waterway Guide News Update
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 12:26   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Florida anchoring ban bill narrowly passes Senate committee

The amended SB CS-1260, banning overnight anchoring in specific anchorages in Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale with "safe harbor" and other exceptions, narrowly passed the Environmental Preservation and Conservation committee today, 5 to 4. Six attendees spoke against the bill and one waived against the bill. One attendee spoke in favor of the bill.The bill has now passed two committees and may be referred to a third and final committee.... Florida anchoring ban bill narrowly passes Senate committee located in General | Waterway Guide News Update

As dope after dope anchors their unattended, derelict vessel in these ancorages, allowing them to drag and sink, becoming hazards to all, I expect more restrictions.

I'm in one of these anchorages.

It's filled with sunken boats. Half a dozen sunk this season.

It's hard to blame the land folks when so many boaters are such irresponsible dirt bags.

If only we could police our own.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:44   #103

Boat: Columbia 26 MK2

I grew up in Florida. I've been up and down the ICW. Florida overrates itself. I'm in Jax getting repairs.If I'm not welcome to drop my hook, I won't be here. I wiil go where my sailing lifestyle is accepted. I didn't by a boat to live at a dock.
The Sailor Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 03:42   #104

Boat: Island Packet 35

[QUOTE=leftbrainstuff;1778294]We'll just scratch Florida off our list of places to visit. Vote with your windlass and go elsewhere.

There you go, head up north, not only can you
drop your hook in front of someone's property at any distance, you will most likely have them row out and invite you in for breakfast, happened to me several times!

Is this really going to impact the majority of boaters all that much? 200' is not much of a distance and I am willing to say that its from the high water mark. In most cases your well beyond this range at anchor anyway. I haven't sailed the coast of Florida so this is just my opinion of course.

But for derelict boats, what fits this category? Someone with a 4 million dollar yacht may think that of my 40 year old boat and say get that piece of crap out of here! We all don't have the same standard of living but rights still apply to those with less.
Of course any vessel that poses a hazard to navigation and/or safety should be dealt with accordingly.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 05:22   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
But for derelict boats, what fits this category?
In Florida, it is defined by state law...

823.11 Derelict vessels; relocation or removal; penalty.
—(1) As used in this section, the term:
(b) “Derelict vessel” means a vessel, as defined in s. 327.02, that is left, stored, or abandoned:1. In a wrecked, junked, or substantially dismantled condition upon any public waters of this state.
2. At a port in this state without the consent of the agency having jurisdiction thereof.
3. Docked, grounded, or beached upon the property of another without the consent of the owner of the property.

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida