Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 04:30   #121

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Anchoring restrictions introduced in Florida bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I take a picture of my chartplotter when I dump offshore.
So exactly what is it about proof of pump outs? How often are pump outs required, just when full? Jeeze
I don't understand your objection.

If I move a boat from Ft Lauderdale FL to Norfolk VA and get stopped by USCG in or near Thimble Shoal channel, Y-valve to holding tank but not yet locked, a picture of our plotter offshore can turn a citation into a reminder to take care of securing the valve.

For that matter, for someone cruising the Florida Keys who is going outside anyway, why not snap a picture of the plotter when offshore and dumping the holding tank--legally--underway instead of diverting and delaying to a pump-out facility? Again, if stopped by FL FWC you can show that you have been offshore.

Neither is proof you aren't pumping overboard inshore, but then neither is a pump-out receipt.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 10:50   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
823.11 Derelict vessels;

This act makes perfect senses and should be enforced. But the term is being too broadly applied to vessels that do not fit this criteria.
Rich Florida waterfront landowner definition of derelict vessel: Any vessel in their view.
Old 29-07-2017, 11:34   #123

The bill became law on June 23.

1. The "proof of pump-out" provision simply allows a local government to adopt a program (using the Monroe County/FL Keys model) whereby vessels anchored in certain defined areas (such as no-discharge zones and mooring fields) for more than 14 days are required to show that they have had a pump-out. Program only allowed where the local government provides for mobile pump-out and only after the program is approved (with public review and input) by FWC. This program has been fairly successful and well received by the cruising community in the Keys. It was supported by the cruising associations who engaged on this bill during the session, namely MTOA, SSCA, AGLCA.

2. Jurisdiction for all other anchoring-related laws is now pre-empted to the state level (i.e. Local governments have no authority to create a patchwork of separate laws on the waters of the State, which belong to everyone). This was the single highest priority for the cruising associations.

3. The bill ensures that state law (and local law) includes no setbacks defined by distance to residential waterfront property. The residential setback no-anchoring provision is what the waterfront property owners/anti-anchoring crowd has wanted for many years. Preventing such a provision (and pre-empting it to the state) was a top priority of the cruising associations.

4. The only setbacks are as follows:
a. 150' from a marina or boat launch (negotiated by cruising associations as a reasonable compromise)
b. 100 feet from a mooring field although a local government may enact a SHORTER distance like Boot Key Harbor which is 50'. (negotiated by cruising associations as a reasonable compromise)
c. 300' from a Megayacht repair facility (essentially Rybovich in West Palm).

5. As to the "anchoring restriction areas" mentioned previously, they resulted from a bill that was adopted during the 2016 legislative session (when the cruising associations were not actively engaged or represented during the legislative session). The bill established anchoring restricted areas in the following locations: (a) The section of Middle River lying between Northeast 21st Court and the Intracoastal Waterway in Broward County; (b) Sunset Lake in Miami-Dade County; (c) The sections of Biscayne Bay in Miami-Dade County lying between: 1. Rivo Alto Island and Di Lido Island, 2. San Marino Island and San Marco Island, and 3. San Marco Island and Biscayne Island.
PrivateerAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 06:50   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateerAnthem View Post
.... The bill established anchoring restricted areas in the following locations: ...(b) Sunset Lake in Miami-Dade County;...
And, this tells the whole story, to everyone and anyone who has been keeping up with this issue from the beginning.

We can always hope that since he got what he wanted, the funding behind this will dry up.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:52   #125
Retired from CF

Bingo, well said.
resoluute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 19:23   #126
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Americat

Many of these comments are looking at one side of the story. Half a mile from my home, we have 9 or 10 boats that have washed up on shore or sunk at anchor and are waiting to be removed. There are probably 30 boats at anchor. A couple of the boats that washed ashore were really nice boats, but the rest are people that no longer want to pay for dockage or are homes for people living on a very low budget. One person out there owned 7 of the boats and none were really seaworthy. I collect garbage that I believe one of the boaters tosses overboard every night because the bag contains a banana peel, a can of something they heated up and the remains of a quart of milk. I expect some of the boaters dump their waste overboard. Heck, one boat even had a goat living on it. So, coming up with a way of getting the people that live on the water because that is all that is left to be environmentally friendly, get people that do not live aboard to pay attention to their boat, and let the true transients be free to do what they want is tough. I don't see this bill as a solution.
Americat3014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 04:56   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americat3014 View Post
I don't see this bill as a solution.
Especially since it was 7 years ago.....
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 10:02   #128
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry - Forgot I was looking at olds posts. Florida had new legislation last year limiting the anchoring to 45 days and is working on additional changes this year that has similar wording to what someone commented on above. So, I was thinking they were talking about the new law.
Old 18-02-2022, 13:57   #129

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
So, I was thinking they were talking about the new law.
OK, so since you resurrected this old thread, let's go there.

What are you recommending for a solution?

Sorry if that sounds like a snarky reply, that is not my intent. I have some opinions on how to solve the problems you mentioned, as do others. They've been aired here on a number of occasions.

But I'm interested to hear yours.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 17:28   #130
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't have a good solution, but a partial solution would be that any boat that is sunk or washed ashore has to be removed within a short time period say 2-3 weeks or the state can remove and destroy. It has been taking about a year to try and track down owners before going to the next step of going to court to gain permission to remove the boat and then someone has to find funding from the state to remove the boat. That was before covid when the state stopped holding court appearances for sunken boats.
The current state law allowing anchoring for 45 days should work well for cruisers. For the low income people living in boats without an engine and quite often no mast or no sails. just trying to get by., a monthly inspection to check that the boat has some type of holding tank and/or waste disposal system may work. At least, the FWC Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation) person would eventually develop a relationship with the live aboard. From what the FWC person said, many of the people are taking their waste and garbage ashore and his opinion was the city should just leave these people alone. I don't think a mobile pump out boat would work on most of the live aboard boats.
So, I think there is more than 1 solution required depending on situation. I don't have an answer for the boats that are anchored with no one on board. Those are the boats that seem to break loose during storms with the greatest potential to damage other boats and docks.

You are not being snarky and I only posted the first comment because I thought the replies were too focused on the cruiser/transient perspective and I wanted to say there is more involved.
Old 18-02-2022, 18:32   #131

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Heck, one boat even had a goat living on it. .
Lol. It wasn’t as short as that. I got a weekly update on the goat guy story. Add some mental health and alcohol problems, and a goat, and it was quite the saga.

Solution is simple, like most. Enforce the laws. Florida has registration. Check registration to the owner. Not current? Boot them. Make sure boats are registered to the proper owner, and if it sinks, sue them or incarcerate them.

The challenge with Boca Ciega tramp boats is that the people living on them are vets with mental health problems, and- bless the vets and the locals and cops- all respect the vets. So the cops turn a blind eye. But letting them sink boats and grab another freebee isn’t helping them.
Old 10-02-2024, 04:31   #132

Boat: Moody 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
A bill restricting legal anchoring has been introduced in the Florida Senate. SB 1548: Vessel Safety would change current navigation laws as early as July 1, 2015, making overnight anchoring illegal within 200 feet of the shoreline of developed waterfront property in most cases, plus other provisions...Anchoring restrictions introduced in Florida bill located in Gulf Coast - Florida | Waterway Guide News Update
200 feet really isn’t that far, by nautical standards. Most people can hit a sand wedge 200 feet… (it’s only 65 yards.)
Star Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida