Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2020, 11:09   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: What does this lever do in my cockpit?

From the color it's a Whale Gusher 10 bilge pump. There are rebuild kits available but would first dismantle it before spending any money on it. The pump bodies are aluminum and the area around the valves can corrode to the point the rebuild kits won't do any good. https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...lyID=Gusher-10
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 11:50   #47

Boat: Irwin sloop

The item in question is an Emergency Ballast Release Lever and a firm tug upward engages a chemical cam which presses the forward ballast latch open. This lever should never be operated while under way
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:23   #48

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

My guess is a bilge pump.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:24   #49

To OP:

Congrats on new to you boat!

We all were 1st time boat owners at one point. So nothing to be ashamed of asking questions about what may be obvious to long time boaters.

What I found worked for me on all of the 5 boats I have owned in the past 15 or so years was this. Way prior to the first sail, I went over every inch of the boat inside and out. Including every inch of the unstepped mast and the rigging. And all the cubby holes, crawl spaces, lazarettes, behind the cabinets, under the v-berth and quarter berth, etc.

Once I have done that I would then go for a sail or two and would repeat my look over. That way I could find as much about the boat's actual ability to withstand the elements, find any leaks, deficiencies, etc. Not just the theoretical knowledge provided by surveys, plans or other data.

And if anything doesn't look right or looks questionable ask boaters with experience - here on CF, at your marina or as a last resort - google.

One does not have to go offshore to have a feeling that the boat will take care of you. Statistically, most (app. 90%) of boat sinkings and accidents happen within few miles of shore. That's why knowing your boat inside out is as important for a day sailor as it is for a circumnavigator.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:43   #50

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

Your automatic bilge pump runs on electricity.
The manual cockpit bilge pump runs on adrenaline.
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:45   #51

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsunshine View Post
We bought a new sailboat but we have no idea what this lever does.
Manual bilge pump handle............hope you never need to use it as your automatic bilge pump(s) should always be operational as first line of defense, but if you do make sure it works before you need it.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:58   #52

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Manual bilge pump handle............hope you never need to use it as your automatic bilge pump(s) should always be operational as first line of defense, but if you do make sure it works before you need it.
But... use it regularly (monthly?) to "exercise" it and to make sure it is functional. Buy a repair kit (once you identify model: likely Whale Gusher, yellow, metal OR Whale Titan, black&blue, plastic).

We used to have a Landfall38. Loved her for 7 years. Started with just the manual Whale Gusher in cockpit but soon added an electric/auto bilge pump.

(Current boat has 2 electric bilge pumps and two manual Whale Titan pumps, one in cockpit and one in main salon below; some would say you can't have too many pumps....)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 14:06   #53

Boat: Hunter 46

sv_pelagia............agree you should regularly exercise it AND you can't have too many bilge pumps. My Hunter 46 sailboat has 2 electric bilge pumps and 1 manual bilge pump. My new used Symbol 44 has 3 electric bilge pumps and 1 manual. The latter I am still looking for after 1.5 months of ownership.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 14:30   #54

Yes. The location of the handle is really important. The previous owner may have permanently attached it to the rocker assembly so it never gets lost. It may not even be easily removed! Whatever the case, the pump is useless if you can't find the handle, so if it does detach, make a clip holder for it (etc.) immediately adjacent to the pump. Test the pump regularly as the diaphragm can perish. Or better still, keep a spare diaphragm in a bag at the back of the pump. These pumps also have valves which may need replacement, but when working, they can really shift a lot of water.

As they are not dependent on electrical or engine power they will still work when all else has failed. Also check that the pick up hose end cannot possibly ever get clogged. When a boat is taking water, the bilges will suddenly be awash with plastic bags, soggy paper and other debris which can make the last saviour (your manual pump) useless.
Pray to it occasionally in the hope that you never have to use it. The only pump that is more effective is a man with a bucket on a sinking boat. Keep a good bucket handy as well.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 16:24   #55

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

For those of you still telling the OP it's a bilge pump, the OP said in post #11 that they poured water in the bilge, operated the handle and water came out of the boat.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 18:35   #56

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Mine is mounted in the same place as yours but mine did not work. The interior was completely corroded away from not completely draining the sea water. Great that yours works now but I would make sure that the pump is oriented such that it drains completely.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 18:37   #57
Marine Service Provider

I too thought it looked like a manual bilge pump with the handle stuck into it. Now I understand it to be a new design to supercharge your sails. If you don't get a couple extra knots out of it it probably needs a new disgrontificator.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 19:52   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
For those of you still telling the OP it's a bilge pump, the OP said in post #11 that they poured water in the bilge, operated the handle and water came out of the boat.
As I see it....
On every forum out there, members only read the 1st 10 posts max., then answer the original question.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 20:03   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

"Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post
If you have to ask that question, you should sell your boat and move ashore, you do not have enough experience to go off shore. It is your manual bilge pump handle:: silly de W7KF"

socialize much??

to the OP- ignore the snarky replies and continue to ask questions- that is a good habit to get into and you can learn tons from some of the people on the forum- you will soon learn who can be relied upon for solid nonjudgmental answers- the internet seems to give some people the impression that is ok to be rude, disrespectful or just plain judgmental. That is not the case and is why God made things like the DELETE button etc.

By now you know it is a munual bilge pump- i recently rebuilt mine - took about an hour including mounting and dismounting -- one thing check the hose- mine had decayed and was starting to crack so i needed to replace it at the same time. Good luck with your new boat!!!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 20:26   #60

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsunshine View Post
Thank you everyone that had helpful responses! We poured some water in the bilge and yes it pumps it out! This is a great find. If anyone tried to google cockpit lever pump, nothing comes up so I'm glad you guys were able to help me out. Thanks again!!
Those whale pumps are pretty widespread. As you may have heard, the flappers and often the diaphragms die a natural death. In addition, any metal part (aluminum on many of these pumps)that comes in contact with seawater will eventually fail. That’s no criticism of the design- nothing lasts forever. Rebuild kits are generally available. My Alberg 30 had a similar pump, and seemed like it needed something about every 18 months, usually when water was sloshing into the battery box. Since it’s difficult to pump it dry, there is usually water remaining in the pump even when the intake is sucking air. I encourage you to get two rebuild kits. Most likely this pump is ready for one, and you’ll have spare parts for the time you really need the pump. But an electric pump on a float switch is a good idea too.

Tags
cockpit