Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2008, 22:39   #16

And Chris the foreman in Svens metal shop is very clear that the estimate 'not a quote' is just that. NOT a quote. It is a starting place for work to begin...
Guess what .I am going to save enough money by trailering to Texas that I can BUY a new delivery trailer for 6k and get all my work done there. The only loss variable is the fuel wich will be covered in alum fab savings....
Trailer customsailboattrailers.com
Alum fab shop topsntowers.com
I spoke with the owners of both of these operations. Very friendly and easy to deal with.
Both in Texas, looks like the way to go. I could take a Mexico vacation while I am there. And spearfish the Gulf.
pakmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 20:18   #17

Get away from any shop that works on marine fab for this . Look in your yellow pages for tube bending or pipe bending companies . All they do is bend usually and it does not cost much for a few bends . You will have to provide the design etc for them . I have made a stern arch mock up with pvc pipe from Home Depot . You can take it to your boat and with a hacksaw , duct tape and a days messing about come up something that will be close . You can also buy pvc angle fittings , 90 , 45 etc at Home Depot which means less cutting .
RGM
p.s. also look for aluminum pipe and or tubing suppliers in the yellow pages ,
buying 20 ft lengths will be the best price , anodizers will also be in the phone
book
rgm.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 10:04   #18

I have been looking and these metal shops don't bend alum pipe. Schd 40 or 60 Pipe. Not tube wich would be .0125 wall type or thicker but not near as strong as pipe. Problem is most of these guys will not bend pipe. They either don't have a die or they have a muffler Tubing bender. That won't do it.
Still I think more expensive with all the time than Texas. I like doing things myself, but good bends, notches, and welds all in one spot. Too tempting.
Really what I am looking for is alot of work. I would not want to piece it together pvc style, even for a mock up. A good fabricator could measure and bend a tube on the first try, actually I could I just don't have the right tools. It is a good suggestion and believe me I have considered pvc mock ups. But like I said if someone else bends it I still have to notch and fit. Then weld and anodize. I would rather go to one place for all this.
Design is not a problem as it will build itself as we go, starting with a basic shape, there are only so many ways to land the feet, shape and space of the arch, etc.

I am going to get the delivery trailer and put it to work, giving me transport to Texas.
Guy's I run my truck on alternative fuels and don't need to take over road travel into the expense considerations.

Plus this guy builds Tuna towers for the Gulf, I'm sure they know the design requirments better than I. That is worth paying for. I just didn't want to pay CA energy and labor costs. Texas is LIKE a different country. The Lone Star State.
I will be running the trailer from PNW through CA to Gulfcoast and FL.
trying to cater to racers that need crew but don't want to deliver or return their boat over road. Most race boat owners can travel for the race days they just can't get enough time off to take the boat to Key West race week. That is where I come in. Hired Gun, race and delivery crew.
Also cruisers, any boat under 20k displacement and less than 10.5' wide 38 ft long 6'draft will be accomodated by this trailer, need delivery?
Anything smaller than Islander 36 basically. There are height requirments also. My Gulf is fine with it's pilothouse.

Matt
Old 27-07-2008, 10:08   #19

Tops-N-Towers Tops-N-Towers
Custom Sailboat Trailers | Refurbished and Rebuilt Sailboat Trailers

That's where I'm going unless someone can suggest another shop. Like I said travel is not an issue.