Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 14:10   #106
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Welding at Sea

banned by who?

I'm under the (mis?)impression it is still very much used.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50   #107

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
banned by who?

I'm under the (mis?)impression it is still very much used.
Banned is probably too strong a word, I haven't seen or heard of anyone using it in the US in decades.

It's ,very real possible misapplications, would probably get you a visit from someone who had a lot of questions, if an unlicensed civilian were to try to buy a large quantity of it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50   #108
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

One of the companies that makes electrical grounding rods, still sells thermite kits to weld a ground bus onto the top of the rod. All preset, fit it on, fire in the hole, one piece electrical ground.

And IIRC it is still used for some railroad track repairs. Not regular maintenance, but repairs, to fuse the whole thickness of the rail.

Since Cool Hand Luke, the gummint has had a mistrust of any civilian using cutting tools.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:03   #109

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Banned is probably too strong a word, I haven't seen or heard of anyone using it in the US in decades.

It's ,very real possible misapplications, would probably get you a visit from someone who had a lot of questions, if an unlicensed civilian were to try to buy a large quantity of it.
It is used to repair/splice rail road tracks and in the splice welds on rebar in high rise buildings and other structures.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 13:37   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Thermite was also once used for quickie welds, but also banned.
Not entirely.

CADWELD

Thermite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:28   #111

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I stand corrected thanks.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:56   #112

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

I'm going to disagree with the numerous recommendations for a wire welder as your on board repair welding system. A wire welder has significant drawbacks compared to a simple stick welder for boat repair. Here's a few points:
1. Wire welders, by their nature, cannot reach into corners and around obstructions like a stick welder can. A welding rod can be bent to reach around obstacles, and it is long enough to reach into places you can't otherwise.
2. It is practical to carry a variety of different welding electrodes for a stick welder, and changing between electrodes takes seconds. Carrying rolls of wire is bulkier, more expensive, and takes a lot longer to change over.
3. A wire welder is more complicated, with feed motor, jaws, controls, etc. Not sure how well all that might work after a couple years stored in your boat somewhere. Stick has a lot less to give trouble in the marine environment.
4. To repeat my earlier post, an on the main engine mounted alternator based welder can be set up inexpensively. It does not require an additional generator as a power source, so there is almost no additional storage space required. It will charge your batteries when you're not welding.
5. 6010/6011 rods are really good for welding thru paint, rust,etc. There are times doing repair when it is almost impossible to remove all of these contaminants before making a weld. I don't know if wire welders have an equivalent that will do this job as well. Perhaps it is available, I don't know. But for sure the ability to make a good weld thru contaminants is an important virtue for an onboard repair welding system.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:04   #113

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
I'm going to disagree with the numerous recommendations for a wire welder as your on board repair welding system. ...
+1, KISS principle.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:51   #114

Boat: Frank Pelin 35ft

Thanks to all the Cruisers for responding to "Welding at Sea".......not sure if I know much about welding now but certainly a lot about MIG fighter aircraft, F-14's, etc.......cheers HARRY !!
FUTURE DAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 19:02   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

moral of the story,don't buy a metal boat,unless you like hot pies...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:06   #116

Boat: Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
I'm going to disagree with the numerous recommendations for a wire welder as your on board repair welding system. A wire welder has significant drawbacks compared to a simple stick welder for boat repair. Here's a few points:
+2

In high wind conditions, the slag on stick welders produced a better protected weld than MIG welders.

Cant gas yourself in the bilge with a stick welder.
billwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:19   #117

I don't understand why it's an either/or thing.

you can do tig mig AND stick for not much more than just one.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 21:08   #118

Boat: looking

GMAW(mig) requires a constant voltage machine and one that is of decent quality costs far more than a constant current dc welder. the issues with running wire, as opposed to stick, have been well-described by PaulS. There are some great little inverter-welders on the market, as well, these days. In the shipyards we do some tight mirror welding, out of necessity, bending our rods & burning down to almost where the flux has come off. On a smaller boat, getting to some joints is an even greater challenge. you can't get into those tight areas with a whip, even if using self-shielding flux core & a long arc. Most boat designs, as with other marine vessels, will have pipes, collars, & other transits close to bulkheads, as opposed to being in the middle of a deck, where you're tripping over them. With stick, getting between the bulkhead & a large diameter transit is much easier than with wire. Don't get me wrong, I love wire, but - with all due respect - for what Harry is asking; stick is the answer.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote