Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2022, 09:06   #16

Re: Weeping at my hull/keel joint

I expect to know more when I start digging out the around the joint. I've removed all moisture from the bilge. If it ever warms up here I will try the food coloring. At this point I will see what the repair gets me and if still weeping I will bite the bullet and have the keel rebed.
sailawhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 09:08   #17

By the way, thanks to all for taking the time to consider my situation and weigh in with their input. Cruiser Forum is an excellent resource for sailors like me!
Old 29-03-2022, 09:55   #18

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailawhile View Post
If it ever warms up here I will try the food coloring.
I feel your pain (I'm in Wisconsin). Mix the food coloring with alcohol, that will allow it to work below freezing.

Quote:
At this point I will see what the repair gets me and if still weeping I will bite the bullet and have the keel rebed.
I would guess (emphasis on the word 'guess') that if there was a keel joint problem, you would see cracking/damage along the joint.
Old 29-03-2022, 18:33   #19

Boat: Tartan 40

I emailed Tartan this winter when my T40 rudder finally showed signs of water ingress. Got an email back from Tim Jackett himself within an hour. They will build me a new carbon post/vinylester blade rudder as they kept the molds.

Anyway, I’d reach out to them. I wonder if your boat was grounded hard before you owned it and the aft edge of keel was driven up and damaged. If so, be glad Tartans are super well built so you won’t have a totaled boat from a dislodged hull liner
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 11:02   #20

Thanks for the input.
I did speak with Chris from Tartan. If I do any major repairs I will go through them. So far I haven't any obvious cracks or damage in the bilge or anywhere other than the area of weeping. Although there's more investigating to be done.
Old 30-03-2022, 11:24   #21

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
By the way, thanks to all for taking the time to consider my situation and weigh in with their input. Cruiser Forum is an excellent resource for sailors like me!

Be careful what advise you follow on CF. I've seen questions like yours answered multiple times though the idea was debunked in that same thread. Part of the "I didn't read the thread, but I just gotta say something" crowd. Not that there isn't great experience, or great ideas, but be careful.

Rebedding the keel would mean dropping the keel. Maybe new bolts. Well, maybe the bolts only need tightening. Maybe the water isn't coming from the bilge at all.

Leaks are insidious, so tracking them down can be a challenge and frustration. Use process of elimination and compartmentalization; if this isn't your forte, let others step you through.

I had a leak coming into the bilge from somewhere aft. After on-and-off upside-down inspections and tests it looked like the strut which was under the fuel tank, which is glassed to the hull. It took my two years to figure out that it wasn't the strut...but what then? By luck, I discovered that it was NOT the strut, it was a tiny jetting spray from a hot water tank elbow. The difference between the two jobs is remarkable, so I was fortunate that I didn't rip everything out to crank down on bolts that weren't the problem.

The #1 project is to determine the source of the liquid, or at least rule out sources that are high-risk/ high-cost.
Old 30-03-2022, 14:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Maybe the water isn't coming from the bilge at all.

In answer to my questions in post 2:
1- Is it water or the antifreeze that is leaking?
2- Do you know the source of the moisture?

The OP in post 3 stated:

"It’s mostly antifreeze although there was a little ice in there so some water too.
The moisture is coming from the bilge.
"

He poured antifreeze in the bilge; antifreeze is coming out of the crack in the keel; there is a leak from the bilge.

Determining the source of the liquid is a secondary issue, but if I had to bet I'd say moisture from the hull sweating over the winter.
Old 30-03-2022, 15:26   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Gary, he later said it was pink therefore it’s antifreeze. But I’m not sold on that. People make assumptions (as have i). That’s why I suggested he confirm it by taste, food coloring, or whatever. It’s relatively inexpensive and important to confirming the source in order to address the right problem.
Old 30-03-2022, 20:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Gary, he later said it was pink therefore it’s antifreeze. But I’m not sold on that. People make assumptions (as have i). That’s why I suggested he confirm it by taste, food coloring, or whatever. It’s relatively inexpensive and important to confirming the source in order to address the right problem.
I understand, but can't think of anything that would be pink, coming out of the bilge, other than the anti-freeze he put in.

As far as 'tasting'? Well... you do you but, I've scrapped out a couple keel boats, and have an idea of what's in the keel/bilges (raw sewage). The last thing I would do is put anything that came out of a bilge in my mouth.

Not trying to pick a fight - just a difference of opinion.

Tags
hull, keel