Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 18:39   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Time to Get Busy

Well, yesterday was the first day that has been warm enough to paint. I charged down to the dock and got busy cleaning up. I am working on my plan of action, including the haulout this year.

There is no end to the bright work but paint is another matter. As soon as things dry out a bit more I will attack the bulwarks and deck trim...Whoohoo! spring is sprung and it's time to get busy. Now if I can stop working so much....

Anybody else getting in the game?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 18:43   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Time to get busy

Yeah, I heard from Steve B gett'n the tri ready. Me I have lots to do yet on the deck/hull seam. But at least the temps coming up for the epoxy to cure now.
Old 24-03-2011, 18:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

You got the sun down there too I take it. Whew, did I need that. I rowwed out to my mooring as well. Not a bad day today too but other chores called. Up here they say rain again tonight but Saturday might be nice. I thought those bloody monsoons would never end!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 18:48   #4

Yep. Yanking off the bowsprit and repairing some rot. It's been raining every week since December. More to come tonight/tomorrow but it's a 10 day clear forecast after that. Looking forward to drying out a bit and enjoying some sunshine. I want to have everything buttoned up by May so that we can get a lot of sailing in.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 19:03   #5

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

right there with you, finished recoring the deck and cabin top, pulled the rig, glassed on dorade boxes (hurray for ventilation!!), hope to get topsides painted in the next 3 weeks...

p.s. its getting too damn hot in south florida allready, but now that shes well ventilated i will save the rest of the interior projects for the dead of summer
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 19:42   #6

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

Got a sail to patch and a tiller to fix!
Spencer
Old 25-03-2011, 15:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yeah, I heard from Steve B gett'n the tri ready. Me I have lots to do yet on the deck/hull seam. But at least the temps coming up for the epoxy to cure now.
Yeah, I have a layer of paint peeling in a few spots around the boot top. Not sure how that is gonna go, I hope that it's not one of those expanding jobs but you never know till you can get at it. I did get a new motor mount in and wonder of wonders I have less viabration than before. So far so good. I should even be able to get a new bobstay this year!

How far along are you on that deck/hull join? Seems like you got a run at it last fall.

Todd
Old 25-03-2011, 15:22   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

oh YEAH baby!

I have had that marine spring cleaning itch for days now, while we have waited out a run of truely crappy weather.

Katy Rose is starting spring break today and on Monday she and I are heading to the marina and starting to get her ready fer the opening season!

New lines going up this year to replace all the old ratty ones. I have ta go did up my fid and whipping line ; -)

And the outboard... needs "attention"

Yuck to that!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 16:19   #9

Oh....don't say that. I havent tried mine yet...I guess I will get it out when I do the hull scrubbing and see what gives.

Todd
Old 25-03-2011, 17:00   #10

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I hear ya, I have the itch to get started too.I rowed out yesterday (still -1c and blowing 20 knt.) started cleaning but still too cold to really get into it. Soon I hope soon...... At least i didn't take her out this year so i have a jump on most around here.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 17:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

beautifl wever in cornwall,been getting on the tasks derekly.

took off the old primary winches,made templates for the new BIGGER self tailers.

fitted header tank for the new kabola diesel central heating system,chopped out the old morso wood burner,now sitting in the cockpit waiting for ebay.

fitted new chimney

started taking down trim and headliners in the pilot house.

amazing how much crap accumulates behind panels and in hard to reach corners,a good wet and dry vacume cleaner is invaluable,doing a refit.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 17:15   #12

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Been doing work on mine since I got it 2 months ago. Started with a good scrubbing and multiple trash runs. Still need to scrub the outside.
Pulled the heads off the volvo penta this weekend. Trying to unlock a locked motor.
I had to sail it outta the marina it was in just to put her on the hook nearby. Ever rowed a boat with a extra 100 pounds and it's engine parts and tools in 20 knot winds. Oh Ya ! Good times. But I love the old girl so she's worth it.
Old 28-03-2011, 18:22   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Yeah, I have a layer of paint peeling in a few spots around the boot top. Not sure how that is gonna go, I hope that it's not one of those expanding jobs but you never know till you can get at it. I did get a new motor mount in and wonder of wonders I have less viabration than before. So far so good. I should even be able to get a new bobstay this year!

How far along are you on that deck/hull join? Seems like you got a run at it last fall.

Todd
This is where I left off last Oct. when the temps got too low. I had faired in the joint filler and got half way back to the transom with a single layer of FG, then we had that dip into the lo-40's.

The temps need to climb a bit more then I can start laying more FG. Lots to do if I want to get out on the water this July/Aug.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3917.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	25578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3870.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	25579  

Old 29-03-2011, 14:34   #14

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

You people further south are lucky. Its bright n sunny but still pretty cold. 6C today and down to freezing or below tonight. I've still got the winter covers on both boats, and won't be taking them off for another couple of weeks.

First thing on the agenda is to reinstall the electrical system on the boat I sold last fall. That was part of the deal. The panel is ready, now all I need to do is run the wiring back n forth and connect it all. That one has to be ready for launch by the end of April and then she's gone.

Once that's done I can start on gutting Sabre Dance and pulling out the engine and stuff. Going to be a hard working summer this year.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:16   #15

I took advantage of one of our really wet days that got up in the 50F temps and achieved about a 90% removal of all greencrap on the topsides. I have seen that it really starts growing when things warm a bit and are still really wet. I am going to try a good salting to keep the green from coming back as I move on to the cockpit seats.
Del..I sure hope it doesn't take all summer to get ready to launch but she will sure be strong when you complete that task.

Todd