Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2021, 08:44   #106

Boat: Regina 43
Re: Teak decks. Should I run away????

It is possible to just like the look and feel of wooden decks Valhalla.
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 08:51   #107

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Oh it looks so romantic!!!

You will be cured of that in no time unless

a. You are a masochist and enjoy huge unpleasant boat tasks that keep you working on your boat instead of sailing it for long periods of time

b. You are rich and can say "Just take care of it" to your boatyard lackeys

If a masochist then there are easier ways to cause yourself pain. If rich then why buy an OLD boat with teak decks? Get something newer!

Best plan of all? Admire other boats' teak decks and make friends with their owners so you can sail around on them without being responsible for them!
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 08:57   #108
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Teak decks. Should I run away????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Mara View Post
Great thing about Regina is they stand by their boats. Throw enough money at them and they’ll do any tasteful upgrade you desire. Customers regularly return to get work done on their boats.

400000SEK is what I’m budgeting for a new deck. I’m also interested in redoing the aft cabin. Total renovation was 500k. Just replacing the bed was 200k-250k.

Sweden is expensive

That renovation would buy several boats collectively lasted longer then a Regina.

There’s a point where more expensive isn’t “more better “ no matter how you spin it. It’s just … expensive.

Throw enough money at something and anyone will fix it. Not just Regina.
Old 17-11-2021, 09:00   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
This is why I dry out in a warehouse every year for 6 months.
Very nice option. Have room for another boat? Over here it would cost a medium sized fortune to store a 43' boat inside every year. On the other hand, unlike Sweden our winter doesn't last for six months.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 09:44   #110

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

I have been a live-aboard since 1976. I learned early and I learned the hard way. No Volvo engines and NO teak decks.

But hey, you might need to learn those lessons yourself. If so, go for it.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 09:54   #111

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I think the only way I would buy a boat with a teak deck is if the boat is new....or if it is a quality built Scandinavian boat less than 10 years old and if the boat were to be used in cooler wetter northern climates like the Baltic Sea area or Pacific Northwest.
If it is an older boat and you are going to be in a hot dry area....be prepared to for a new deck or major repairs soon.

IMHO
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 10:47   #112

Boat: Regina 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Very nice option. Have room for another boat? Over here it would cost a medium sized fortune to store a 43' boat inside every year. On the other hand, unlike Sweden our winter doesn't last for six months.
It ain’t cheap. All included it’s about 50k SEK. It would cost you about 15k just to layup on the hard, which is necessary most places in Sweden due to sea ice in the winter. In Malmö its warm enough only to have very thin ice so storage in the water is OK most years. You do get the odd year with thick ice though so it’s a bit of a risk. The 35k extra for drying out saves on a lot of ware on the boat and so is worth it for me. Basically, water trapped anywhere that freezes is going to cause all sorts of problems which you can avoid by storing indoors. It also prevents core problems in the deck.

She my baby! I get enormous satisfaction from treating her right. Money is an object, but I get more pleasure spending it on the boat than anything else and I can’t take it with me when sailing Atlantis so …..
Na Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 11:00   #113

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Oh it looks so romantic!!!

You will be cured of that in no time unless

a. You are a masochist and enjoy huge unpleasant boat tasks that keep you working on your boat instead of sailing it for long periods of time

b. You are rich and can say "Just take care of it" to your boatyard lackeys

If a masochist then there are easier ways to cause yourself pain. If rich then why buy an OLD boat with teak decks? Get something newer!

Best plan of all? Admire other boats' teak decks and make friends with their owners so you can sail around on them without being responsible for them!
c. You likely have never owned a wood boat with a teak deck.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 11:22   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It ain’t cheap. All included it’s about 50k SEK. It would cost you about 15k just to layup on the hard, which is necessary most places in Sweden due to sea ice in the winter. In Malmö its warm enough only to have very thin ice so storage in the water is OK most years. You do get the odd year with thick ice though so it’s a bit of a risk. The 35k extra for drying out saves on a lot of ware on the boat and so is worth it for me. Basically, water trapped anywhere that freezes is going to cause all sorts of problems which you can avoid by storing indoors. It also prevents core problems in the deck.

She my baby! I get enormous satisfaction from treating her right. Money is an object, but I get more pleasure spending it on the boat than anything else and I can’t take it with me when sailing Atlantis so …..
Nope, you definitely can't take it with you. And in my case the kids have too much money already so don't need to leave anything in my will. Right now travel is problematic so may as well spend it on the boat.
Old 18-11-2021, 04:19   #115

Boat: Beneteau 50

I have a friend who removed his teak deck. It was screwed but also glued, which made it much more time consuming.
He spent 500 hours removing teak from a 46ft boat.
I wouldn't walk away - I'd RUN.
Old 18-11-2021, 04:28   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moana Bella View Post
I have a friend who removed his teak deck. It was screwed but also glued, which made it much more time consuming.
Your comment is not the first mentioning a huge job removing old teak decks. Any idea how your friend went about the job? Did he/she try to remove all trace of the glue to get back to clean fiberglass?

Just hard for me to think it would take so long just to get the teak up if one used the proper tools.
Old 18-11-2021, 08:08   #117

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just hard for me to think it would take so long just to get the teak up if one used the proper tools.
The bottom line is, you won't know until you go.
Eddie would go.
Old 18-11-2021, 08:12   #118

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moana Bella View Post

That says more about your friend than the teak. I watched as two Thai's armed with hammers and chisels removed the teak on my 46 footer in less than two days. The biggest piece was the size of my little finger, and it took one of them less than a day to remove the 1000 screws that stuck up. They were each being paid USD$ 4 per day.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 16:27   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna View Post
If you do plan to renew the teak decking, this video demonstrates a technique in which most of the planks are saved and reused.

I hope this goes directly to you and not posted to the forum.

It must be Paul with Penna. this is Ken from Polson. I met you many years ago on Kelpie with John Derry. Then I saw you in Dayton with your BCC.

I wanted you to know that Firtha is available from Dick Clemow. If you have interest, let me know. For some reason Dick said he didn’t want to deal with you. Dick is that way a lot. Kind of a moody guy. We can get that way as we age!

Let me know if you are interested. I might buy some parts from him, too.
406-212-1811 Ken
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 16:45   #120

I am a woodworker and I have owned two Taiwanese vessels with teak decks. They are fabulous. Fortunately I caught up on delayed maintenance and sailed the tropics and loved our decks. They were thick (over 1/2 inch) and were not as hot as the teak on a 750,000 dollar Catana catamaran.

I bought a trashed 1972 Cape Dory Typhoon. The previous owner messed up EVERYTHING he touched. The “non skid” was renewed with something very hard. I had a friend say it looked like pancake batter was slopped around. I ended up doing very little fairing since it dulled the 36 grit disc in seconds. I just finished an Ipe overlay with only the Teak Deck Systems epoxy. I need to do the seams next. I am retired and I am happy with this job. Just another project that most people hate. I have lots of those…..

The hardest part has been mixing the epoxy. It is 50-50 so that helps but it is the thickest, stringyest goop I have ever used. It is so sticky that i only clamped or weighted the strips a few times. I think it will last as long as the hull….disposal of fiberglass boats and wind generator blades IS going to become an issue.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck