Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 09:22   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Taylor Stove Installation

I sail a 1980 C&C Landfall 38 which utilized natural gas as a cooking fuel. While I appreciated the safety associated with natural gas, the sources in Northern CA, which I employed to fill the high pressure tanks, became non existent.

Having researched the cost, effort, and safety issues associated with propane. I elected to go old school by installing a Taylor kerosene stove which I was fortunate to find on this forum.

Now that I have used the stove for a season, I could not be happier.

The stove required new burners which are readily available on the internet, and some polishing. The old fuel tanks have been replaced with my scuba tanks and while the stove does take a moment to prime, this is a small sacrifice when compared to the cost and effort to refill those heavy tanks. Now I purchase my kerosene at at the local store.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	179589

I recommend you look at similar options if you happen to be in a similar situation.
Rmccormi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 09:32   #2

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Taylor Stove Installation

It sure looks pretty! Nice installation!
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:37   #3

Very nice look. I'm in the market for a stove, and am thinking about alcohol (not pressurized). I do like my Coleman kerosene camp stove I've been using for the last 5 years or so, which is probably 30-40 years old and just needed a replacement pump gasket (easy to find online) but I'm not sure I could find a kerosene that is cost effective for me.

New the alcohol stoves are probably around $1k. I'd have to carry a lot of alcohol for weird locations but eh oh well.

Alcohol worked extremely well on my 2-burner, but I really want an oven.

I feel if you're in an area where you can't find alcohol, maybe you can find kerosene but you'll definitely be able to find wood: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5ece5236d2568c

So maybe I'll get something like that as a backup for heating up water Not for use inside, just very careful use outside!
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 08:37   #4

Very interesting wood burning option. Regarding the non pressurized option, for years I had a single burner Orion stove on my Bristol 27. Many fine meals were cooked with the stove. While at sea I utilized a gimbled one burner propane stove (stored the small propane canisters outside on the deck)

Regarding the Taylor stove, they are still made in England, and occasionally you can find one used. They are solid brass and stainless steel. Recently utilized the oven to bake some bread, oven is a nice option.

Take care and happy sailing
Old 27-10-2018, 08:41   #5

Thanks for the kind words, you may notice the tank is installed under the stove. The tank came with a hand pump which was a pain to operate so I replaced it with a shradder valve, now the stove can be pressurized with a small bicycle pump or electric tire compressor.

Take care and happy sailing
Old 27-10-2018, 09:14   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Do they run on diesel as well as kerosene (paraffin)?

Do the pans soot up with kero?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 09:34   #7

You really should only use clear #1 kerosene found in hardware stores for kerosene heaters. It is cheap and burns with out much odor. Regarding pan soot, I prime the burners with alcohol. Also in the bowl I coiled brass rope which acts as a wick so when underway the alcohol will not spill.
Old 27-10-2018, 09:43   #8

Attached is a burner in operation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B8148A0-17CB-4E3D-B6FA-0767BC4AEC83.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	179687