Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2007, 15:24   #1

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Sole adhesive

A piece of my sole came up, 1/4" teak over 3/4" ply, and it looks like it was glued down with some kind of flexible adhesive. It almost looks like the kind of stuff you would use on linoleum. Any Ideas? It's hard to get it off the ply. I want to glue it back down with the same stuff. I know west epoxy is best but I will save that for when I redo the whole sole.
Old 30-12-2007, 19:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
A piece of my sole came up, 1/4" teak over 3/4" ply, and it looks like it was glued down with some kind of flexible adhesive.
How big a piece? If the teak is coming up I doubt the plywood is doing well either.

Quote:
I know west epoxy is best but I will save that for when I redo the whole sole.
I'm not so sure that West System Epoxy is best for everything or even anything as far as an interior sole is concerned. The plywood and the teak expand and contract differently. Any differences in expansion / contraction would shear the layers apart using a thin layer of epoxy. Most teak and holly soles use a very thin veneer far less than 1/4 inch for that reason. The plywood is more stable to moisture than the real wood.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 19:09   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Easterly-
If it is flexible adhesive it is probably a urethane adhesive. They are used in the flooring and tile industries and easy enough to find in those departments of any hardware store. If it is just a small strip, look for a product called "Goop" sold in tubes (small and large) in blister cards at most hardware stores and places that carry epoxy and the like. There are something like six varieties of it, plain "household goop" is the default choice.
But I'm not sure how well it sticks to itself, you might want to call them and check on that. I suspect you'll need to scrape and abrade the old stuff off, to get good adhesion for the new stuff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 11:52   #4

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
I went to Lowes and they only had 1 kind of Goop in a small tube. I'll try it and see what happens. The piece that came off was on the edge of the blige access.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
"GOOP" isn't a product I'd recommend; but:
GOOP~ Eclectic Products Inc: Amazing GOOP | Glues Whatever. Bonds Forever.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I used Gorila glue to repair some problem areas on our sole. It is working.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:25   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Gorilla Glue (an example of great success from picking a memorable name) is "just another" of the hard urethane glues, Elmer's calls it something bland like "furniture glue" and can't touch their sales. Same product AFAIK.

I'd also expect a hard urethane to be good in the floors, but if the rest of the flooring is attached with a flexible material, and one spot gets repaired with an inflexible material...could cause something to pop later, since they wouldn't "move" the same way.

All the glues like Gorilla Glue foam up during the first hour after they are applied, take care to hang around with a damp rag to wipe off any overage. It dries rock hard.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 15:52   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Talking

If you use 3M 5200, the only way it will come out is with a jack hammer...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive