Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2019, 18:40   #1

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Spencer 42: First bottom job.

I am doing my first bottom job on my 1966 Spencer 42'

She was definitely due, the last time she was painted was 2014 with Pettit Trinidad SR, had a good bit of growth, I probably should have done her last year.

The bottom is in pretty good shape other than the fact that someone painted some copper coat on it that is between 1/32" and 1/16" of an inch thick!

I am removing all the old paint because of the thickness, and what I thought were blisters turned out to be places the adhesion of the cooper coat simply failed and created a bubble, the laminate underneath was dry.

The old copper paint is really hard on the sanding discs, I have been going through about 5 6" discs every 3 square feet. I am using 40 grit paper and it is gumming them up, they will stop sanding all together.

The Bosch sander I bought works really well, and the Bosch HEPA vac seems to do very well, there is very little dust to sweep up when I am done.

At the current rate I am going it is probably going to take about 266 hours to fully strip the bottom because it is taking about 2 hours to strip 3 square feet.

It feels a bit slow to me.

The plan is to get her stripped, move a couple of through hulls, then install a new depth sounder and knot wheel, then paint her with a epoxy barrier coat, then probably with the Trinidad SR again although I have been thinking about going with the Black Widow.

Really looking forward to having her back in the water!
Old 28-12-2019, 05:41   #2

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Spencer 42: First bottom job.

It's going to take a while, maybe a rougher grit.

This is why I hired a soda blaster crew. They did my entire hull once they set up, in one day. I paid $1250 cash, for a 50' hull. A pretty good deal. They were slow at the time, and needed the work.
Old 28-12-2019, 06:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
It's going to take a while, maybe a rougher grit.

This is why I hired a soda blaster crew. They did my entire hull once they set up, in one day. I paid $1250 cash, for a 50' hull. A pretty good deal. They were slow at the time, and needed the work.

I wish I could go that route but they do not allow blasting at this yard, so it is the ole grind grind grind!
Old 28-12-2019, 08:55   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Try Festool Granat Net or Mirka Abranet.....you will be pleasantly surprised.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 11:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Try Festool Granat Net or Mirka Abranet.....you will be pleasantly surprised.

I will check those out. Are they better for dust collection?
Old 29-12-2019, 05:04   #6

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I have used the Mirka Abranet...I love that stuff. It works extremely well for dust collection. I am glad you mentioned it Orion Jim, I totally forgot to.
Old 29-12-2019, 10:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
I will check those out. Are they better for dust collection?
Far better...no clogging means your sanding disks last longer. A friend used to use Mirka Abranet exclusively but has now found the Granat Net product to be longer lasting.....it took me two years to convince him
Old 29-12-2019, 10:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I have used the Mirka Abranet...I love that stuff. It works extremely well for dust collection. I am glad you mentioned it Orion Jim, I totally forgot to.
The Abranet works well....the Granat Net is well worth the cost in my opinion. Either one is a big improvement over sanding disks. With a good dust extraction system dust is negligible. Sanding bottom paint is almost a pleasure.
Old 29-12-2019, 10:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Far better...no clogging means your sanding disks last longer. A friend used to use Mirka Abranet exclusively but has now found the Granat Net product to be longer lasting.....it took me two years to convince him

I am going to order some in and see how they do, right now the dust collection is definitely lacking, I have had a lot to sweep up every day, so that will be nice if it can better control the dust.
Old 29-12-2019, 13:12   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

I don't think you need to remove the coppercoat, just roughen it up a bit. You can call Petit and ask them. The coppercoat will make a nice barrier coat.

BTW, I would suggest that you use Trinidad SR red. it contains a lot more active ingredients than the other colors.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I don't think you need to remove the coppercoat, just roughen it up a bit. You can call Petit and ask them. The coppercoat will make a nice barrier coat.

BTW, I would suggest that you use Trinidad SR red. it contains a lot more active ingredients than the other colors.

I have to remove it because it has adhesion problems, it is peeling off the hull in places. So off it all comes.

Tags
enc