Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 18:21   #1

Backup autopilot

Does anybody have a good idea for a backup autopilot_ HR 36 Mk II. Im not interested in windvane systems as I have davits and solar panel on the stern. Was thinking to rig a tiller pilot to a spoke on the steering wheel. Ideas please...
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 19:39   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Backup autopilot

Is there anything here?

https://beijaflorbeyondthesunset.wor...the-autopilot/
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 20:10   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

I have a two below deck autopilot setup. A "new" RM S3G and an old Autohelm 6000. They are set up through a high current switch to control the course computer power and the type 2 mechanical drive. If the electronics fail it is a simple turn of a switch to power the alternative autopilot to the drive.

I also have a spare mechanical drive and they are fitted with four pin generator connectors. If the mechanical drive fails I have to climb into the lazarette, pull two hitchpins, pull the failed drive and install the replacement. I need someone hand steering to do this. After the hitch pins are pulled I need the helms person to move the rudder off center to get the clevis pin all the way out. Once the new drive is in place I need the helms person to move the rudder off center to get the clevis pin back in. I think it took longer to describe the process than it takes to do it.

I have had to swap the mechanical drives a couple of times since doing this setup, I have not had to switch the course computer.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 20:28   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Look at the pypilot. Not sure a liner drive to a spoke would be enough to steer your boat in other than calm conditions.
The pypilot has been hooked up to a windshield wiper motor that could then be belt driven on your wheel.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 09:43   #5

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

I have a cpt wheel autopilot as primary on 36 Catalina. Backup is an old tiller master with wheel connector. Does pretty good
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:38   #6

Grandwaggoneer0, I am curious as to how your tiller master with wheel connector works. You got any pictures?
Old 29-12-2019, 14:45   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Chris,

What do you have as the main system and do you have above deck access to the rudder stock by chance? I have used a Raymarine ST2000 to drive both tiller and the extra drag from having a wheel fitted. Only tested up to F5 but worked well enough.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Compass 74 M31 Mk 2 auto pilot.pdf (120.0 KB, 26 views)
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Chris,

What do you have as the main system and do you have above deck access to the rudder stock by chance? I have used a Raymarine ST2000 to drive both tiller and the extra drag from having a wheel fitted. Only tested up to F5 but worked well enough.

Pete
I have a Autohelm 7000, that works great. Yes there is a emergency tiller that attaches dirctly to the rudder stock in the aft cabin. It is short and you would have to stand in the aft cabin looking up thru the hatch to steer. But maybe you are on to something.... make an extender to go thru the hatch or just attach a tiller pilot to the existing emergency tiller in the aft cabin and steer the tiller by remote...... i need to look in to to see what I could use for attachment points..... Awesome idea Pete7. Thanks

Tags
autopilot, grass