Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2023, 10:50   #1

Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 Only Works One Direction

I will precursor this story with promise of a solution. You can jump to the end if you're looking for the fix. I just think there's some good details in here that might be nice to have.

I have a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 1500 windlass that came with a 2004 sailboat I purchased a couple years ago. The first time I tried to use the windlass, it would not deploy the anchor. The motor would grind a little and the anchor would move a few inches and then it would stop. But it would retrieve it. So I manually deployed the anchor the couple of times I needed it and it worked fine for retrieval. Bought me some time.

I sent an email to Lewmar's help address (they bought SL), which I have gotten some good responses from in the past but this time received no response.

I started researching what could be wrong and ran across the recommendation to take the whole thing to an alternator shop. I have one a 1/4 mile from my house with a GREAT reputation. Called them up and they said they'd take a look.

Mark called me a couple days after I dropped it off. He asked me if the windlass had EVER deployed. I told him not for me. He went on to explain that he'd opened the gear box and found that the gear train includes a clutch bearing (#29 on the schematic) and that mine only allows movement in one direction. If I wanted to come in he would show me.

This was weird to me. Who'd put 275' of chain on a windlass that did not deploy. I attempted to reach the old owner but he had passed away. I dug through the manuals, I researched on forums, but I just couldn't get a definitive answer.

Finally I went back to Lewmar and tried to find a service center to call. I chose one where sailing is popular and called. I explained my situation and upon me sharing that the motor WOULD grind a few inches of chain, he said, "oh, don't do that!" He then said it had taken him a long time to figure out the problem. I shared Mark's findings and he said that Mark was correct but it was actually Part #60, the 2nd Compound Gear Assembly. There's a part inside this assembly that slides back and forth and that it can get stuck which leads to the gear train only moving in one direction. The part is not available as Lewmar no longer supports this windlass. I asked if the assembly could be repaired. He said no, it's an assembly. I thanked him for his help.

I went over to the Alternator shop and shared this info with Mark. He was confused so we called Lewmar back. While still willing to share, my contact was noticeably bothered that we were still asking question. Mark got what he needed and we hung up sharing out thanks for talking it through with us.

I asked Mark what he though and he replied, "I'll soak it for a couple of days and then put some heat on it. See what happens. If that doesn't work, we'll send it to the gear shop". Great.

Two days later, Mark calls me and says, "So I put some heat on it after soaking it and still couldn't get it to move. But I noticed an allen head screw in the assembly so I took it out and it opened up the assembly. There was a bunch of rust or something in there so I cleaned it up, greased it, put it back together, and now your windlass works in both directions. I've cleaned up the gear train, re-greased it and it runs great. Come by, I'll show you. $240.

Conclusion:

Mark, Walz's Rebuilt Auto Parts, Salem, OR knows how to fix this. Might even cost less as I've already paid for the discovery.

Hope this helps. I felt it needed to be shared. I've been super thankful for all the posts people make. I feel like I'm never tackling a problem that hasn't already been experienced by someone else and it's because of the generosity of this community that takes the time to share information.
Jordanski88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, simpson lawrence, work