Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 08:06   #1

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran
silver silver chloride half cell

Where can I buy a silver silver chloride half cell? The kind with a long cable that I drop in the water and plug the other end into the neg of a multi-meter and use to test voltage potentials around my boat.

I see the thread about making one, but I can't seem to find a source that sells them for this application.

Thanks in advance
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:11   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Here’s where I got mine

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:16   #3

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
Where can I buy a silver silver chloride half cell? The kind with a long cable that I drop in the water and plug the other end into the neg of a multi-meter and use to test voltage potentials around my boat.

I see the thread about making one, but I can't seem to find a source that sells them for this application.

Thanks in advance
Try boatzincs.com
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:27   #4

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran

Thanks!

That is where I get my zincs
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:36   #5

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
Thanks!

That is where I get my zincs
[emoji106]
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

ProMariner, #20008, 20' Cable with Silver/Silver Chloride Half Cell (AG/AGCL) and User’s Guide
$124.89 ☞ https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...ode-specs.html

Oops! I should have followed Sailmonkey's link.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
ProMariner, #20008, 20' Cable with Silver/Silver Chloride Half Cell (AG/AGCL) and User’s Guide
$124.89 ☞ https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...ode-specs.html

Oops! I should have followed Sailmonkey's link.
Corrpro.com
Farwestcorrosion.com
mesaproducts.com
edi-cp.com
forgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, forgol.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:16   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

Once you have the half cell.....how do you use it? I understand plugging it into the (-) terminal on a digital VOM, then connect/touch the (+) probe to an operating piece of DC equipment, and record the reading for each piece of on-board DC equipment. And the one/ones with a significantly higher reading is likely leaking DC power to the water?......But where do you touch with the (+) probe? The (-) power connection, the (+) power connection, the (metal) body, or??? Any advice/information would be very much appreciated, as I seem to have an issue on the f/g boat that is knocking bottom paint off the thru-hulls.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:38   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Once you have the half cell.....how do you use it? I understand plugging it into the (-) terminal on a digital VOM, then connect/touch the (+) probe to an operating piece of DC equipment, and record the reading for each piece of on-board DC equipment. And the one/ones with a significantly higher reading is likely leaking DC power to the water?......But where do you touch with the (+) probe? The (-) power connection, the (+) power connection, the (metal) body, or??? Any advice/information would be very much appreciated, as I seem to have an issue on the f/g boat that is knocking bottom paint off the thru-hulls.
Negative lead of your DVOM to Battery-/ Positive lead of your DVOM to lead of probe in the water, approx. 3 ft deep and 5 ft from the boat.
Millavolt Scale.
Looking for voltage changes when turning on circuit your testing, i.e. Anchor lite, ect.
Check directions for the exact procedure.
It's really quite easy.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 14:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Negative lead of your DVOM to Battery-/ Positive lead of your DVOM to lead of probe in the water, approx. 3 ft deep and 5 ft from the boat.
Millavolt Scale.
Looking for voltage changes when turning on circuit your testing, i.e. Anchor lite, ect.
Check directions for the exact procedure.
It's really quite easy.
SV Cloud Duster
I am not sure what is the structure you are protecting with galvanic anode CP (zinc) but you should connect your DVM negative (COM) to the Silver/Silver-Chloride (Ag/AgCl) reference electrode, and the positive to the structure. Select DC volt on the DVM. Lower the electrode into the water nearby the structure. I would recommend to have it not more than 2-3 feet away. Read the volt meter. If the read is more negative than -0.85 volt, your galvanic CP system working OK. If you read -0.8 V or less, your anodes either may not connected to the structure to be protected, or time to replace the zinc(s).
BTW: the reference electrode does not has to be Ag/AgCl, it can be Cu/CuSO4 or even zinc. I would try to borrow a reference electrode from some one, since they are not cheap. $ 200-400, depends on manufacturer, and model.
forgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 15:06   #13

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

This is where I bought mine. I don't use it often, but to me it's an important tool. Also a way to build good will, by helping others test their boats. Instructions are simple and easy to follow. Especially important if you keep your boat plugged into shore power. I don't, but still think it's worth every penny. Don't forget a decent quality DVM is required.
Old 09-06-2019, 15:23   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgol View Post
I am not sure what is the structure you are protecting with galvanic anode CP (zinc) but you should connect your DVM negative (COM) to the Silver/Silver-Chloride (Ag/AgCl) reference electrode, and the positive to the structure. Select DC volt on the DVM. Lower the electrode into the water nearby the structure. I would recommend to have it not more than 2-3 feet away. Read the volt meter. If the read is more negative than -0.85 volt, your galvanic CP system working OK. If you read -0.8 V or less, your anodes either may not connected to the structure to be protected, or time to replace the zinc(s).
BTW: the reference electrode does not has to be Ag/AgCl, it can be Cu/CuSO4 or even zinc. I would try to borrow a reference electrode from some one, since they are not cheap. $ 200-400, depends on manufacturer, and model.
Thanks for the clarification!
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 15:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Negative lead of your DVOM to Battery-/ Positive Negative/Common lead of your DVOM to lead of probe in the water, approx. 3 ft deep and 5 ft from the boat...
Allow at least 5 min, for the electrode to stabalise.