Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 10:42   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Self tailing

I have standard winches on my Pearson 28 and want to switch to self tailing winches. I'm not ready to invest in them right now. But I saw the Barton Winchers. Has anyone used these before or heard anything about them. Are they worth the $75 price?
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 10:53   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Self tailing

Sorry … same response on SN: I used winchers on my previous boat (34’ ketch). Worked well, especially for the price. Not as good as self tailing winches, but a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old 28-02-2017, 10:53   #3

Check with Massmarine parts up in Quincy ! I can almost guarantee they would have the right size for your boat. Also go to Good old boat on line and go to consignment shops ! You can also check on craigslist Maine for I think Capt. Jim ! You should have a consignment shop just before the Newport bridge ! Don't be afraid of used ones ! You can get most all parts for Barient, and Barlow in Australia !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 13:42   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

windcree,
I have Barton Winchers on my halyard winches. I don't use them much because I arranged the rig so that I don't have to winch the halyards for hoisting the sails: I have bronze bearings in the masthead sheaves and I regularly lubricate the slides on the mainsail.

But I find the Winchers useful in some situations such as tensioning the reef lines.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self tailing