Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2007, 09:43   #1

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Make a Winch Self-Tailing ?

I have heard of things that you can put onto non-selftailing winches to make them self tail. I searched the forum but nothing came up. Does anyone know about these? Anyone know who makes them? I have heard they work well but you need to have lots of wraps on the winch. Thanks!

Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 09:56   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

I think the brand name is "Winchers". Anyone used them?

Barton Marine

WINCHERS:
A specially designed rubber moulding which fits over the top of standard winches converting them to self tailing. Easy to fit and available in four sizes to suit most winches. The simple operation works when the line is sheeted under load causing the coils to climb up the drum and are then gripped by the underside of the rubber body. When the sail is trimmed, cleating is achieved by locking the line into the ribbed groove.

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 11:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
They are made just up the road from me.

Watski Winchers

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 12:51   #4

Boat: C&C 27
Some swear by them and some swear at them. You will need a very sturdy wooden spoon too install these.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 14:40   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
I was asking about these before - thanks for the info . The way they describe how they operate is a little disquiting - I can imagine under a heavy load the sheet would climb up on itself and either tangle or push up and over they top of the Wincher and release. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 17-02-2007, 15:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's important to understand that these are NOT self tailers. They are a line captivator. They just mean you can lock the line off on the winch instead of locking it via a clutch or cleat. They will not tail for you.
That can make it very handy for things like sheets where you want fast easy access to the line tail. But for a halyard, you may as well just lock it as I would not trust leaving a line such as a halyard captivated permenantly. On my Mizzen, I do leave it captivated, but it is a small sail and I am right there beside it.
I don't have the larger ones on my Sheet winches yet, but do intend to get a pair.

Old 17-02-2007, 16:00   #7

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Thanks Wheels - sounds good since a pair of primary self tailers will cost me about $3000 CAN I think I'll order a pair as well.

Regards, Randy
Old 17-02-2007, 17:22   #8

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
So what I gather is that they self tail by jamming under the thing? And is the groove just for cleating? "If they can't self tail to any degree then they would serve no help to me."
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 18:33   #9

Boat: Roughwater 33 "Dawn"
I've used Winchers on my sheet winches (Lewmar 30s) for the last 20 yrs. They are not self tailers but they will hold the sheet without cleating the tail. You have to keep the tail from wrapping when cinching it home but it will hold while you cleat it off whenever. I use 1/2 in. line and it won't fit in the groove on top but this is unnecessary. It's a "little" handier than without but I would love to have the real thing! Anyone getting rid of a couple 30st or 40st Lewmars let me know.
Andy
SV Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2007, 21:01   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andy, you'll want to watch your back mate. Anyone giving away those and you would be trampled in teh stampeed.
If you guy's go to the link I supplied and look for the "forum" there are some comments on the use of them by people in that. It will give you some better understanding of them,.

Old 18-02-2007, 01:17   #11

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
There is a home-built alternative to buying the Winchers. Just take some 1/2" ID (or larger) vinyl water hose and cut it to the circumference of the winch drum. Make it into a coit (sew 1/2" rope inside to joint the ends), soften it in hot water and slip it over the top of the winch.
I used this arrangement for several years on a 29' boat and it held the sheet while I cranked the winch. Just like the Wincher, it is a snubber not a tailer. When tacking it was of little value, but when adjusting the sheet under load it allowed me crank in a few inches until the sail trim looked right then take up the tail slack on the cleat.
After a couple of seasons the sun got to the vinyl hose and I cut them off. Although they worked I didn't bother to replace them. The Winchers would probably hold up in the sun much better. Back then (1970s) they wanted about $50 for a pair of Winchers, my alternative came out of my spare parts bin.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 21:54   #12
GreatKetch

Real self-tailing conversion...

If you have an old Barient or Barlow #27 or #32 you might check these out...

Self-Tailing Winch Conversion fits Barient, Barlow, Cathay, Universal and others: Winchmate

They aren't cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than new winches. I have had a pair on my primaries for a year now and they are just as good as the factory self-tailers. It helps that the guy who developed and sells them is a great help and he'll be sure you are happy with them.

Bill
P.S. I'm only a satisfied customer, no other interest.
Old 25-02-2007, 22:28   #13

The Arco winch company in Australia has a range of parts including self tailer jaws for a variety of winches.. arco-winches.com (No conection with company)
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 09:35   #14

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
I've seen these Winchers and they are good but if you put a lot of turns on your winch under load it ill pull the line through without your having to pull on the tail.

It works better with "thin" line, in other words line thin enough to get a lot of turns (6 or more) on the winch body.

If the line is "right" it will behave exactly as if you had a self tailing winch. Otherwise you may have to tease the tail out now and then.

The line is "right" if it is long enough for the tail to have some weight and the line is somewhat stiff.

In fact my genoa furler winch has lost its selftailer roller and I use it like that the whole time.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 21:12   #15

These are fairly old posts. Has anyone else used the winchmate conversion, and how difficult is it? Thank you. I have non-self tailing Barient 28s.
mgraham49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self tailing