Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 10:56   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Securing furnace exhaust... ideas?

Have a Wallas forced air furnace installed in our Gulf 32 and very happy with it.

However, latest survey dinged us for the exhaust being unsupported where it goes through the stern cockpit locker. Specifically, the surveyor wrote:
"The furnace exhaust is unsupported in the lazarette compartment, where gear is stored. Recommendation: Support the furnace exhaust with metal standoffs, and create a barrier to prevent gear from contacting exhaust."

This is what the exhaust looks like in the aft lazarette:

Any ideas as to how best I can "secure" this? Trim it and have it go straight (still not supported then)? Bend it aft and secure it to the stern wall with clamp that screws into the fiberglass? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

-- Bass
Old 08-05-2021, 05:40   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Securing furnace exhaust... ideas?

The problem does need to be solved; that exhaust hose is vulnerable to something being dropped on it. I'm also a bit concerned about the heat in there - it would be one hell of a place to start a fire.

To keep two elecrical cables apart and supported, run a wire tie around both and through a short piece of hose between them, making something like a figure eight. For this, think about a heat-resistant analog. I suggest that you put ss hose clamps around the exhaust, with one of these clips also under each hose clamp, and screw it to the wall of the compartment. That both holds the hose in place and holds it off the walls.

https://www.amazon.com/OhLectric-OL-...s%2C270&sr=8-9
Old 08-05-2021, 05:57   #3

Boat: Gulf 32
Re: Securing furnace exhaust... ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The problem does need to be solved; that exhaust hose is vulnerable to something being dropped on it. I'm also a bit concerned about the heat in there - it would be one hell of a place to start a fire.

Thanks! I see where you're going with that idea and I like it, much appreciated.

I'm not particularly concerned about the heat, you can touch the (wrapped) exhaust with your hand where it runs through the locker (it's a little warmer where it first comes out of the heater itself). Primary concern is more the carbon monoxide side if the exhaust gets knocked off it's vent where it goes through the stern.

That, and as I mentioned in another post, now that it's in the survey and therefore noted by my insurance company, I could get run down by a freighter and if I hadn't secured the heater exhaust they'd deny my whole claim

Tags
exhaust