Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 04:53   #1

Boat: Cherubini 44 Ketch
Sea Frost Refrigation Unit

Hi Mates - I'm new to the forum and look forward to exchanging info in the future. I have a question about my Sea Frost refrigerator for my Cherubini 44. My refrigeration includes an engine compressor, a 12 volt Tradewinds condensing unit, and two evaporator plates, all made by Sea Frost. The engine system works great, but the 12 volt system does nothing. I had a local marine fridg guy look at it and he said one of the two evaporator plates is leaking refrigerant and recommends that I replace the entire system, except for the engine compressor which he recommends that I totally scrap and not replace since I have a generator. Replacement cost is $4k plus labor. My first question is how could the evaporator plates work great with the engine compressor, but have no refrigerant with the 12 volt compressor? Is it two totally different systems with different pipes passing through the evaporator plates? Also, how can it be much cheaper to replace the entire system than to replace one leaking evaporator plate? I'm really confused.

Thank you!
Rturkewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 06:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Sea Frost Refrigation Unit

No one can offer advice without a description of what you know. The advice you received cant be correct. You need help from Seafrost or an honest local tech. If you want help you will need to go further in describing problem. Amp draw of that unit is the only way to tell if compressor is running without opening cover, is there any cooling with only small compressor running. If you call Seafrost they will ask questions like is the trouble LED flashing, is green light on, Do you hear fan running in condensing unit? When listening inside refrigerated area do you hear a gurgling sound?
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 18:54   #3

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Re: Sea Frost Refrigation Unit

Call Cleve , the oewner and engineer. he picks up the phone mon-friday 9-4 eastern US time...

he will help you figure it out
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote