Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2016, 12:44   #31

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Saving My Toerail- Advice?

Earlier you mentioned not wanting to buy Acetone. It is a good solvent to keep on the boat for cleaning before caulking and bedding, for teak work, and just some general clean up uses. For some teak, if you get into a working boat yard, see if there is a wood shop and ask if they have any scraps from repairs, either wood from a tear out, or scraps from new work. Older teak will match better than new teak, as so much of it now is plantation grown and has different growth patterns.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 15:48   #32

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

keepondancin, I'll be buying a small can of acetone soon, need it for brush cleaning and other things. Made a mistake buying spirits a when I ran out of acetone (that was onboard since purchase and used up while on the hard a while back).

I've got a collection of old teak on board. From bulkhead shelves I removed, and from and entire round teak dock table. It was falling apart and headed for the dumpster. I disassembled and stowed in the cockpit locker. One day it will be repurposed into a curved teak helm seat. Lots of pieces, good stuff.
Old 22-12-2016, 16:37   #33

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I appreciate the input and need it as well. So posting a couple more pics and rambling on some.

For years now I have been focused mostly on mechanicals and recently started addressing cosmetic issues.

Last (only) haulout I rolled and tipped the stern and boot stripe. Cold weather, no brushing thinner, with Brightsides. Did it on a lark after discovering the Brightsides matched the many years old Imron on the hull. One coat! First time rolling and tipping, got lucky. The haulout focused mostly below the waterline as that was what mattered most. Did all the work and spent all my money. Standard proceedure it seems.

The factory gelcoat grey cabin stripe might get a redo in grey or charcoal grey Brightsides. It buffs and polishes up OK for old gelcoat but is dull at present.

Need to finish repainting the fixed port frames.

Need to repaint the mast, in situ, top down in a bosun's chair.

But today I got the starboard side rail all bunged up. Next the strips for the gaps in the scarfs and the port side.

Killing time at anchor and a couple hours of work a day, it's actually a casual process. But I'd rather be sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_20434-srtbd-4359756.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	138380   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_20434-strbdquarter1200631437.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	138381