Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2022, 07:08   #16

Boat: 1982 Reliance 44
Re: Sailboat Salvage Yards in Florida or Georgia

I am looking for a pod for an axiom 9 plus I70 (wind) and P70s (autopilot). I am good with separate pods for each or one larger pod.
IsolaNaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
Try the Sailor's Exchange in Saint Augustine. They have a large collection of boat junk. Also try the Monkey Fist in Green Cove Springs. They are not as large as the Sailor's Exchange; but, you never know what you will find. I have found good deals at both over many years. With internet selling, both have become more expensive. You can bargain best in person.
I think Monkey Fist is closed. I went there about 4 or5 months ago and was told the owner died.
rsmit6185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:45   #18

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

In my experience, Don's has lots of rusty old things from ancient boats and not that much useful for recreational boats.

Call before you drive.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:49   #19
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

there was another sailor's exchange in Jacksonville .. where the old Pier 17 used to be .. but unfortunately for the local boating community .. they closed their doors there.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:58   #20

On your way back north you could stop off in Jacksonville. There are several options there
Thomas31709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:06   #21

I have the same question about salvage yards, but for the Virginia (and surrounding states) area. I'm refitting a 1985 Gulfstar Hirch 45 in the Deltaville area. Thanks in advance.
C. Strauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 15:59   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

I second (and third) the suggestions for Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale and Sailor's Exchange in St. Augustine. I relied on both for good used and new equipment for our boat Corroboree before heading out from St. Augustine in our trip around the world. It has been nigh on impossible to find good used equipment suppliers on our trip--now in Darwin, Australia after 16,430 miles. Sailorman and Sailors Exchange are the best we have ever seen.

For our sailor friends on the way to the UK, there is Boatbreakers.com in Gosport, Hampshire. Link https://www.boatbreakers.com/buying-...rts-in-the-uk/. They specialize in recycling boats and reselling good condition hardware.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 15:51   #23

Boat: 1982 Reliance 44

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. We visited all the shops north of Port Charlotte and managed to find the pods I was looking for. My one observation is that all the shops/yards we visited were almost exclusively aimed at the power boat community. Very little sailboat related hardware or gear. I realize that power boating is the market but I thought there would be more on the sailboat side. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Cheers
IsolaNaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Strauss View Post
I have the same question about salvage yards, but for the Virginia (and surrounding states) area. I'm refitting a 1985 Gulfstar Hirch 45 in the Deltaville area. Thanks in advance.
You should stop by Bacon Sails in Annapolis if you're in the area. Much smaller than Sailorman but is very sailing focused.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 02:47   #25

Boat: Capital Yachts, Newport 30 mk3, 30'

Tim Stark at Cut's Edge Marina is the largest sailboat salvage operation on Floridas West Coast

Here is his Ebay site, he doesn't put much effort into Ebay so don't judge, just giving everyone a contact

DIY Marine Supply (434)
HippieTye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida, georgia, sail, sailboat, salvage