Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 19:47   #1
cruiser

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 28 CC
S2/sovereign Construction

I just bought a 28' Sovereign center cockpit from 1984 and I am looking for other owners who might be able to share where they are finding their information on these.. (Google is not showing much).

1. One of my projects is replacing the floor in the cabin as it has damage, looks like this has to do with how shallow the forward bilge is (and the fact that there was a broken pipe). There is currently no floorboard access to the forward bilge and I am wondering if this is standard on all Sovereign 28's. Also, I have heard that my boat is "based on the S2 design" but am wondering how much so. Has anyone replaced their floor on a Sovereign? Do S2's lack floorboards as well?

2. The headliner has been removed and the ceiling above the passthrough looks to be weak structurally. The ceiling part I am discussing is directly underneath the cockpit rails. Is this the norm? Should I prioritize fixing it? (Photo coming soon).

3. The main wire connecting from the top of the mast to the rear of the boom has a small pulley and what looks like an inadequate line attaching the two. Is this rigged correctly? If not, how should it be rigged?

I have read this many posts on this website in preparation for buying my boat and want to thank everyone who contributes their knowledge in advance.

Anthony
BravoVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 05:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: S2/sovereign Construction

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Anthony.

SOVEREIGN 28 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 06:45   #3
cruiser

Thank you Gord,

So sailboat data for this boat actually has a disclaimer that the information used to put together the record is made from inconsistent information. My opinion is that the majority of data there would be used by someone considering purchasing the boat or who wants to understand its basic properties and not exactly useful for someone who is looking for specific construction information. Even this forum has very little on these boats but I am hoping there is a forum somewhere.
Old 08-02-2017, 17:49   #4

BravoVita, hello I just bought a sovereign 28' with a d12. I was wondering if you did a swap to a yanmar? Also how did you fix the floor? I need to do that also. Thanks ryan
ryan342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 18:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The S2 9.2 is an Arthur Edmonds design. As far as I know the Sovereign has nothing to do with the S2
Old 08-02-2017, 18:37   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan342 View Post
BravoVita, hello I just bought a sovereign 28' with a d12. I was wondering if you did a swap to a yanmar? Also how did you fix the floor? I need to do that also. Thanks ryan
CONGRATULATIONS!!! The (rebuilt) Yanmar was already installed when I purchased it and I am very happy with it. Floors done, I replaced with a waterproof laminate from home depot (much less expensive than trying to achieve the teak and holly look).

Not sure the group rules but you can see most of my progress on my website (my user name + .com), I actually found the original specs from the original rigging company and I posted that up there as well, also... My understanding is that there were only 50 made and I know a few that were wrecked so its kinda up to us to share information on it. A gentleman contacted me a month or two ago who picked up one out in CA so I just started a closed facebook group for us to share info (PM me your email and I will send you an invite).