Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 21:08   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Rudder Post Stuffing Box

I have a bilge in the back of the boat that is seperated from my engine bilge and after sailing heeled it fills with water at first I thought it was a leak in my hatches but I am now convinced that the rudder stuffing box is leaking. Problem is I can't figure out how to fix the problem. When I remove the upper two hose clamps I can't move the black plastic fitting. Has anyone ever seen this type of stuffing box before? If so how do you repack it? Picasa Web Albums - mckenzie.charlie - Counter tops

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 21:22   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have a bilge in the back of the boat that is seperated from my engine bilge and after sailing heeled it fills with water at first I thought it was a leak in my hatches but I am now convinced that the rudder stuffing box is leaking. Problem is I can't figure out how to fix the problem. When I remove the upper two hose clamps I can't move the black plastic fitting. Has anyone ever seen this type of stuffing box before? If so how do you repack it? Picasa Web Albums - mckenzie.charlie - Counter tops
charlie--yours looks like a dripless kind- mine for rudder post is same as my prop shaft one-- but looks better, like not pulled apart-- bronze atop the rudder post--i will take a pic of that --is in my quadrant ROOM, ABAFT THE ENGINES and afore the transom. mine drips.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 21:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
looks like a ceramic "deep sea seal" type,need to make sure both contact surfaces are clean,possibly flex tubing has become distorted or shrunk so seal surfaces not meeting properly.

sudgest clean with soapy water and depress upper seal ie tap it down,so there is a constant pressure pushing up between the two bearing surfaces.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 22:07   #4

Thanks Atoll I will give that a shot.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 05-01-2011, 01:11   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Charlie,

I can't quite make out what's going on there! But, could it be a standard lip seal inside the hose? I wonder why someone would use a ceramic (expensive) face seal in such a low speed application?

Good luck with it, mate!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-01-2011, 02:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
probably fitted with an industrial type of ceramic seal,that are not expensive.

also as a "fit and forget" solution,as opposed to a lip seal that would need replacing after a certain amount of time.

my guess it is the elastisticity of the tube that is causing the problem.
Tough, Durable, Versatile, and Cost-Effective: Seal Rings and Bearings from Advanced Ceramics

Wherever fluids are pumped, compressed, or stirred, bearings and face seal rings are among those parts that are particularly important to design engineers. The type of material used for these parts has a profound impact on operational reliability and durability, especially when aggressive media are involved. Owing to their outstanding chemical and physical properties and their homogeneous microstructure, our advanced ceramics have in many instances displaced conventional materials.
Their functional reliability is caused by such factors as:
  • High wear resistance
  • Corrosion resistance
  • Ability to withstand high temperatures
  • Imperviousness to sudden fluctuations in temperature
Through different combinations of aluminum oxides and silicon carbides, we are able to fine-tune the sliding and sealing properties of our seal rings and bearings to closely match the actual operating environments. Combined bearings from advanced ceramics are remarkably light and stiff, displaying low centrifugal force and good emergency and dry running properties.
Our range of face seal rings and bearings include a wide array of different designs, at diameters from just a few millimeters to around 900 mm, mainly from silicon carbide (SiC). Also, we offer customers our expertise to develop and build designs and shapes to individual specifications and requirements.

Silicon Carbide and Aluminum Oxide to Improve Performance and Extend Service-Life for the Widest Range of Pumps from Automotive to Domestic Applications
Switching from plastics to advanced ceramics in seal rings and bearings – silicon carbide or aluminum oxide, dependent on use – plays an important role in the automotive industry. Excelling in wear resistance, dimensional stability, and reducing moving mass, our seal rings and bearings continue to improve performance, reduce noise emission levels, and extend the service-life of pumps in automotive components such as coolant-water pumps, electric fuel pumps, or high-pressure pumps in diesel engines.

Our advanced ceramics also prove highly effective in containment shells, or shrouds, for magnetic clutch pumps without shaft seals. For some applications, and under certain threshold constraints, only leak-proof pumps such as magnetic clutch pumps can be employed, which transmit drive power to the pump shaft without any contact. Since the shroud separates the outer and inner magnet assemblies, it has to consist of non-magnetic materials such as plastic, stainless steel, or ceramics. Plastic, in many cases, lacks the mechanical strength required, and silicon carbide wins out handily even over stainless steel in terms of hardness, wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and long service life.

Particularly well suited for use in aggressive media, our ceramic seal rings and bearings are the prime choice for pumps commonly found in domestic appliances, or white goods or whiteware, such as washing machines and dishwashers. Here, again, advanced ceramics make all the difference: in productivity, dependability, durability, and operating expenses.

Extending the Service-Life of Gas Exhaust Valves with Components Made from Zirconium Oxide

For gas exhaust valves, our zirconium oxide is particularly well suited. Its excellent surface finish, high strength, low modulus of elasticity, and high sliding abrasion resistance combine with a thermal expansion coefficient comparable to steel, which makes it an ideal material for composite steel bearings working at high temperatures.

Taking On Our Customers’ Toughest Challenges: ROCAR® Silicon Carbide for Industrial Applications

Material consumption is exceedingly high in industrial and chemical installations, machinery for the food industry, and turbine and heat technology. So are the costs: metal components reach their limits rather quickly in an aggressive environment where multiple stress factors such as high thermal loads, friction, wear, and corrosion combine or even interact with each other.
Under such conditions, metal components are no match for our advanced ceramics ROCAR® Silicon Carbide. It is exceptionally hard, wear-resistant, and provides good thermal conductivity. Corrosion, abrasion, and fluid erosion are kept in check just as effectively as frictional wear.
Components made of ROCAR® Silicon Carbide are employed, for instance, in chemical installations, mills, expanders and extruders, and as nozzles. Moreover, ROCAR® Silicon Carbide is toxicologically safe and suited for applications in the food sector.
Interested? Click to contact us.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
probably fitted with an industrial type of ceramic seal,that are not expensive.

also as a "fit and forget" solution,as opposed to a lip seal that would need replacing after a certain amount of time.

I

I could see it being something like this. But how does it keep water out. The tightness of the fit? Is it something I need to replace or is there some kind of mainteance to perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Charlie,

I can't quite make out what's going on there! But, could it be a standard lip seal inside the hose? I wonder why someone would use a ceramic (expensive) face seal in such a low speed application?

Good luck with it, mate!

Cheers,

Jim
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know what a lip seal was till I researched it last night. Are there lots of different manufactures of lip seals? Yhe ones I saw had a nitrile or rubber seal that was attached at the top and held in place with a clip or some such thing. I don't see a place for that on mine but I will look again.

I sent an email to the manufacture asking them but am not sure if they will remember b/c the ownership changed hands.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 05-01-2011, 08:27   #8

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Charlie, when you do take it apart, how about posting some more photos? I've never seen such a beast and am interested in how it goes together. All I'm seeing in the one photo you posted is what looks to be a piece of rubber host clamped to the shaft with nothing else. (My eyes must be bad, I guess)

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:58   #9

The picture is a crop of a much bigger photo so it is not very clear. There is a piece of plastic that I think looks similar to the piece in #7 that sticks out the top of the hose. This piece seems to stay in one place given that there is no twisting in the hose and allows the rudder post to turn inside of it. It is secured in place with two hose clamps. I attempted to take it apart once but it wouldn't move after I took the clamps off. It lets about 3 or 4 gallons of water in that I have to bail out b/c there are no limber holes. I could add a limber hole but I don't like water to go into my engine bilge. The other choice would be to create a diversion dam that would let the water go into my main bilge.

If there is no maintenance on the item then I will have to replace it which entails removing the entire rudder. I may drop my rudder this year as a preventative maintenance but haven't settled on that yet. Whatever I find out I will post pictures etc.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 05-01-2011, 15:51   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Charlie, it LOOKS like the rubber hose is just there to provide a way to clamp the ceramic ring in place (vertically on the rudder post) and the ring is simply a low-friction "o-ring" keeping water from coming further up. With some weepage, yes.

Is the ceramic still snug on the rudder post, or has there been enough wear (on the ring OR the post) to let water by? If that's the case, perhaps using some teflon or other plastic sheet as a shim (wrapped around the rudder post, slid under the bearing) would be enough to get you through until a replacement can be found?

I know someone who used a section of plastic soda bottle as a rudder post shim. Not Very Proper but it lasted several years. If you've got no other shim stock available...that and Tyvek sheet (from Fedex/USPS etc. mailers) make fast grabs.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21   #11

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Thanks Charlie, now I get it. Kinda difficult to see the tiny little rim at the top above the hose. That's what I missed.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder