Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2021, 10:07   #1

Boat: Contrast 33
Rewiring the Mast without Unstepping

As the new owner of a 1985 Contrast 33, I'm slowly working my way through the previous owner's deferred maintenance and doing upgrades along the way. Now that the weather is starting to look a bit nicer, I'm getting ready to transition from interior projects to exterior ones. The biggest one I currently have is rewiring the mast. The anchor light doesn't work (though this one may just be a burned out bulb - won't know until I get to the top on the mast). But the steaming light has a short in it somewhere - switching it on throws the breaker in about 4 seconds. I'd also like to add deck lights to the spreaders. The price I was quoted from a local rigging shop to unstep the mast for me to do the work then re-step was more than I have in my budget.

Has anyone rewired a mast in situ? I estimate the mast to be about 55 feet from the keel to masthead. I don't know for sure, but am assuming, given its age, it does not have a conduit inside. I'm fairly comfortable working aloft, so no real concerns there.

If you have any tips/techniques for rerunning the wires, or obsticles to look out for I'd appreciate hearing from you in the comments.

-Pete
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wiring