Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 09:54   #1

Boat: Gozzard 36 Destiny
Restore or Re-invent

I have a 1987 Gozzord 36. If you are familiar with these boats they have an elaborate wooden taffrail. I am the 3rd owner of the boat. The second owner completely rebuilt this just before I bought it from him in 2007. I have now partially rebuilt it twice. It is now in poor condition and needs to be completely rebuilt or replaced.

Frankly, I am getting tired of rebuilding it. The boat is otherwise seaworthy with a new 40 HP diesel with less than 100 hours on it.

I am thinking of clearing off the last remnants of the wooden taffrail and replacing it with stainless railings. I would like to keep the general contour of the original cockpit but this would be a complete change (defacement?) of the original design.

I think the stainless railing rebuild would be safer and more seaworthy than a rebuilt wooden rail. It may (or may not) be less expensive.

I would be interested to hear thoughts from anyone who has contemplated similar issues and/or anyone who has been involved in any similar projects.
sthneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:34   #2

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Restore or Re-invent

I'd say go w/the ss. rail . Let the next guy/purist put all the time and $$ into the "proper and correct" taff rail.
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 10:59   #3

I have seen boats with 30 year old teak cap rails in perfect condition, but their owners were compulsive varnishers. Touching up every scratch, and applying a new topcoat every 4 to 6 months. I am not that person...

So it would be very unrealistic to expect you to change your habits and suddenly develop such compulsions to recoat the varnish on the exterior wood before it fails and the wood begins to decay.

You really have no choice but to go with a non-wood solution.

...OR...

Do the old cruiser trick. Apply two coats of varnish to the wood to seal the grain, then paint it. Which is more robust and easier to care for than varnish. When it is time to sell the boat, you can strip off the paint, put a couple coats of varnish on it and have it look like it was well cared for all its life.

This might not matter to you at all, but having the wood stripped off a Gozzard would send up a huge red flag to me that the boat had not been maintained and loved as it should have been. That might not be fair, but it would absolutely be my first impression. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

But it is your boat... do what you think best.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 13:01   #4

Boat: Seaward 22

I like the Gozzard 36, was just looking online at one last night. My exact thought was I would hate maintaining the taffrail. The Gozzard 37 switched to fiberglass and I think it looks nice. Not sure how SS would look. I'd definitely want to do some mock ups. Your boat has beautiful lines....be careful.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 13:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FYI: H.T. Gozzard 36 Taffrail.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 15:52   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw,

The method discussed by Sailing Harmonie for paint over varnish does work; and it can look very good, too. The two best one's I've seen was one, where they painted the teak the grey color of weathered teak, and one, which was maroon, and, surprisingly, looked really handsome. I've also seen some blue, but it didn't appeal to me.

If you replace with s/s, remember to only touch it with gloves on if it is below freezing. It will be a huge change to the appearance of the boat, which may or may not appeal to you when you see it.

Why do you keep having to "rebuild?" I'd have thought that whatever you put on it, varnish, cetol, oil, or paint, that the timber itself would stay in good shape, as long as you renew the coatings regularly.... What has gone wrong? (I do agree that's still a lot of sanding and varnishing, but only 2 x per year.)

Where is the boat kept? Is it somewhere where it shrinks so much in winter the varnish checks and pops off?

Ann
Old 28-07-2023, 19:18   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

With a boat like that, it would be tempting to replace it with SS uprights holding up a nice teak rail. That might reduce the amount of upkeep without damaging the aesthetic too much.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 04:21   #8

Boat: Gozzard 36 Destiny

Thank you all for your input. She is in south FL. The climate here is rough on boats. She has been loved but it has been tough love. She has taught me a lot. She bears the scars.

I'm going to restore her. I think it was Gord's picture that decided me.

Thank you all.
sthneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 15:14   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on you, mate! It'll look really nice!

Ann