Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2023, 06:52   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41
Repairing topside paint damage

I've got some paint damage on my hull that I want to repair, but I have to admit I'm pretty clueless when it comes to paint / gelcoat so I'm not sure how to assess the damage to decide what to use and how to apply it.

The attached photo shows the damaged area, and I have aboard a can of Pettit EZ Poxy MODERN POLYURETHANE TOPSIDE Paint that I'm hoping is what was used before (is there a way I can confirm that?).

It seems to me that the current white paint (or gelcoat?) was applied on top of a blue paint and the gray area is bare fiberglass?

If the current white layer is not paint but gelcoat, what will happen if I try to apply this topside paint?

Also, if someone knows of a good source of info for all these kinds of stuff I'd love to hear about it

Thaks in advance! Click image for larger version

Name:	20230731_103938.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	279052

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:56   #2

Re: Repairing topside paint damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
I've got some paint damage on my hull that I want to repair, but I have to admit I'm pretty clueless when it comes to paint / gelcoat so I'm not sure how to assess the damage to decide what to use and how to apply it.

The attached photo shows the damaged area, and I have aboard a can of Pettit EZ Poxy MODERN POLYURETHANE TOPSIDE Paint that I'm hoping is what was used before (is there a way I can confirm that?).

It seems to me that the current white paint (or gelcoat?) was applied on top of a blue paint and the gray area is bare fiberglass?

If the current white layer is not paint but gelcoat, what will happen if I try to apply this topside paint?

Also, if someone knows of a good source of info for all these kinds of stuff I'd love to hear about it

Thanks in advance! Attachment 279052

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Do you know what the original damaged paint was?
If one part, dewax and sand the gel coat and wet sand with 150 grit to blend and surface variation. Prime with Petit primer. sand again.

If your Petit topcoat matches the old paint, roll on with a sponge roller and feather it out with a fine brush . If the old hull paint is reasonably glossy, you're better off adding Petit's "Performance Additive" which will harden their EasyPoxy and give it better flo. More than likely you'll need to do 2 coats wet sanding each time.(using 220 minimum) and on the 3rd coat, let it cure a day and come back and buff with fine Scotchbrite followed by some unwaxed polish. That should blend the patch into the rest. The performance additive is worth the money.
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, repair