Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 13:57   #1
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft
Repair around new doors

I have installed new doors (Bowmon, excellent product and service). In the process of removing the old doors I damaged the gelcoat (?) or whatever the surface coat is. I used a vibrating saw - a bit like you cut a cast off of your arm with. After the first door, the process improved quite a bit. The original doors were put so as to Never come out - probably 5200, plus a bolted in frame. But they are out and the new doors are very nice and do not leak.
I am looking for advice on what product to use to make this look presentable again. First choice is to take the doors out and have someone who really knows what they are doing fix it. However - Weather is cold (Easton, Maryland) and taking the doors out is probably going to damage the foam strip that seals around. It is very sticky and seals well but is easily damaged. I do not want to go backwards.
The house is foam core with Awlgrip paint. The boat is just over 10 years old.
I would like to tape the door frame and go over the damaged surface with "something" that is within my abilities (modest) and can be sanded a bit and look ok until I can get it painted.
Needless to say I have searched and searched and found endless products for repairing gelcoat, fixing cracks and on and on.
There is no structural damage or leak. All cosmetic.
Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this rather long missive. All advice, thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
TW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	203868  
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 00:44   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Repair around new doors

I'm not sure I understand the photo: is it on its side?

I've always fixed damage a bit the same way as a panel beater would fixed your damaged car. They would beat it out the best they can then they would fill the imperfections (ripply surface) with "body putty" then they would sand and paint it.

I always use a mixture of either polyester resin/talcum powder or epoxy resin/talcum powder to fix the damage, holes etc.

There's stacks of video clips which will give you a good idea of how to go about the repair.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ged+fiberglass
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 03:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I purchased a gelcoat repair kit off the shelf from Defender. Came with white gelcoat and tubes of color additive. With a little practice you can get the color to match so a repair is almost invisible.

I'll get details if you want to know the exact brand I used.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 04:41   #4

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hello TW-
Since you mentioned that the structure is already painted, it would seem you just need to fill in the deep spots with something that will stick to the boat and accept your next layer of Awlgrip paint rather than attempt a gelcoat repairr. The answer for a filler might be in the literature or tech support for Awlgrip. https://www.awlgrip.com/products/fillers Cold temps could be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door_mod1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	203885  
Old 28-11-2019, 08:30   #5
TBW

Thank you very much everyone for your help.
I really appreciate your time.
Yes the picture uploaded on its side; straight when I added it - or so I thought.
Maybe I am overthinking the repair material - just get a "gelcoat repair kit" and be done with it. I can be careful enough to follow directions and do this (I think). Any information on a specific product anyone has successfully used would be appreciated.
A lot of choices out there.
TW
Old 28-11-2019, 09:14   #6

Just a thought but not sure if it would work. Fill it with whatever and sand, then about 30 or 50mm out from the edge run up some tape and paint it a different colour between the frame and the tape so that it looks like it is meant to be that way. By trying to match colours you will always notice the difference because you will be looking at it. Make it look like its should be different.
Frank
Frank 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 10:37   #7
TBW

This is what I have. 'Evercoat Marine polyester gel paste'.
The word I am not sure of is "polyester". Used the wrong type of varnish a little while back and made a two hour touchup a week long sand down to wood job.
If this will work I will use it. Have a white tint for it.
Can live without a perfect match.
Thanks again
TW
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gelcoat.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	203897