Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 11:40   #16

Re: Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

I have been reconsidering the electric engine at least until I get a generator. I’ve had my suspicions about it viability without a large lithium bank. And the costs would be very very high. About sailing lessons on the lake I may take advantage of that. I was going to do that at lake Balaton in Hungary but had to leave abruptly. Based on the owner’s description the engine should only need some servicing after laying up for 10 years so I will go get that in NC and put it in. Is getting a tow to the Bahamas possible? Our timeframe isn’t due to hubris or impatience. But only due to my wife’s 90 day limit on being here and since we won’t be living in the US ever we don’t wanna pay $2,000 for the citizenship process which would give us more time.
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:52   #17

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
I have been reconsidering the electric engine at least until I get a generator. See U tube "Sailing with UMA", the part about their trials & tribulations on Elect. Propulshin, 3+ yrs to sort out DIY version, the new $$$$$ saildrive is having it's own problems. Also a very large 48V battery system!

I’ve had my suspicions about it viability without a large lithium bank. And the costs would be very very high. Yes they will, see above.

About sailing lessons on the lake I may take advantage of that. I was going to do that at lake Balaton in Hungary but had to leave abruptly. Excellent idea, get as much exp as you can & larger the better.

Based on the owner’s description the engine should only need some servicing after laying up for 10 years so I will go get that in NC and put it in. Only a Factory Eng Mech can tell you that, save $$ & get estimates as needed.

Is getting a tow to the Bahamas possible? Not likely, but could cost as much as you paid for boat, and you need the experience too.

Our timeframe isn’t due to hubris or impatience. But only due to my wife’s 90 day limit on being here and since we won’t be living in the US ever we don’t wanna pay $2,000 for the citizenship process which would give us more time. That sounds like a can of Worms.
My experience is;
rebuild/outfitted 4 boats over 50 years, always, always over budget on time & costs,
sailed the entire West Coast Anchorage to Acapulco, and San Diego to Tahiti to Hawaii, and St Croix to San Diego via Panama,
really, really love sailing so I put up with all this.

Capt Wayne

PS, I agree with Barnicle on his posts too, always spot on.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 13:08   #18

Boat: Pearson 34

It's been a few years since we anchored in Titusville near the marina, but as I recall, there were some liveaboards staying there. Also, Green Cove Springs on the St. Mary's River near Jacksonville is a less expensive boatyard, but there's not much to do around there.
Good luck with your re-fit and stay safe!
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 13:39   #19

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Electric motor no way. Outboard no way.

Motor sitting 10 years? You need to go through everything and that takes time. I would set up a day tank for fuel who know what is in the main fuel tank. Run with a Racor comming off the day tank and that is after fuel from the main tank to day tank passes through a Racor. I will take time to set up the engine properly.

With your experiance level I would not do the trip unless I had a bomb proff engine. So you can always stow the sails and motor the whole way.

What diesel engine is it?
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 13:42   #20

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Good Grief! For the sake of all, your 24hr/7 day week project MUST be the support of your wife through her immanent childbirth and post-partum period - a woman you've "not been apart from for more than an hour in three years", and want now to spend 10-12 hrs daily away from them in a boatyard in her time of greatest need??

I say this as a doctor, a father of three and grandfather of six - all of whom my wife and I were able to be a support system for during labor, delivery and post-partum period. Two of the six newborns had unforeseen severe neonatal pulmonary complications requiring a weeks' stay in the Neonatal ICU, but fully recovered.

There simply doesn't seem to me to be a safe way out of the 90 day box you've put yourself in with your 9mo. pregnant wife and, I presume, no help for her or the huge boat project that will take you months. So I urge you spend the $2000 citizenship fee to insure options here in the States for your wife and newborn - particularly in this time of Covid-19 resurgence.
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 17:21   #21

The engine is a Volvo MD11C 2-cyl 27hp diesel. The main issue with boat yard location is the cost of transport. I have a quote for $1500 from Skipper Shipper to move it from west palm to indiantown marina. I can’t spend more than $2,500 for the shipping so it has to stay within 100 miles of where it is.

As far as the citizenship and being away from my wife. It’s a choice better choice for our future to get all this done now. Due to finances and residual income we will be able to live comfortably if we can complete the refit and set off prior to February 2021.
Old 03-10-2020, 18:19   #22

Just landed in Miami so will go see the boat tomorrow and update on conditions and try to get a more accurate picture. We will be chronicling everything but won’t start uploading videos for a few months. We’ve been doing online video work for a few years but will be switching to this. It won’t be full time like other you tubers. More so just to entertain our current fanbase and exercise our video taking hobby
Old 03-10-2020, 18:45   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

Well... congrats! My first cruising boat was an Alberg 37, Hull #7 from 1967. It was a refit special. She is still sailing somewhere on the east coast of Canada today.
I think you will want to consider a larger engine in the future. I was adequately but not overly powered by a Westerbeke 4-107(Perkins). Make sure your chainplates are bolting into solid material. Mine bolted to glassed in wood but the wood had rotted away.
The A37 is a deep and heavy boat that heels quickly to maximize waterline...they have very poor manners when maneuvering in tight marinas with reverse being little more than a shifter position.
Good luck, a great adventure begins.
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 18:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Well... congrats! My first cruising boat was an Alberg 37, Hull #7 from 1967. It was a refit special.
I think you will want to consider a larger engine in the future. I was adequately but not overly powered by a Westerbeke 4-107(Perkins). Make sure your chainplates are bolting into solid material. Mine bolted to glassed in wood but the wood had rotted away.

Thanks I will add that to the list of things to look at tomorrow. Even if underpowered I will need to stick with the volvo for a while. Have to make it cost effective. Maybe do a repower next winter while deciding between electric or new diesel or a hybrid
Old 04-10-2020, 11:45   #25

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Look for a better shipper. I had a Beta 50, a much larger engine shipped from the east coast NY to San Francisco area for less than $500 using UPS freight.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 13:30   #26

Just saw the boat! Owner already redid the plumbing and so much else. Plus extra parts galore. So my timeframe for launch is realistic.

The issue with the transport is the keel. Not many if any other hydraulic trailers available at the moment.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:43   #27

So it seems the only things needed to get out of the yard are 6-8 thru hull fittings and a paintjob. The engine needs to be serviced and put back in. Is it possible to do that in a slip or would it be better in the yard? Not sure how long the servicing will take.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:03   #28

The engine was removed for a reason , perhaps it needs a full rebuild.

That will cost more than a new Beta engine and with Volvo parts perhaps months of waiting for them.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:30   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. A new diesel (buy) is the reasonable way if the old diesel is ... old ... and needs a big repair / rebuild.

Not just parts price but also the man-hour of any mechanical work involved. Plus you end up with an old engine that can break up next week, just at different point this time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:05   #30

Whats the range for a new to me 18-25hp diesel?

Tags
alberg, refit