Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 16:51   #1
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Why no shooting? Is it the marina you're in? The way you are doing it is a nightmare, it'll take four times as long like that. Please let me help you here, gelcoat is my thing. You certain you can't shoot? You can gear up for pretty cheap if you are only doing a section at a time. Depending on how much boat you're doing a $50 gun and a few compressor rentals will save you loads of time. I can talk you through it even if you've never shot anything before.

Which patch booster are you using? Is it Cobalt? No surface seal? Or is it in the booster?

My color matching cart. I've matched many hundreds of gallons off it. I shoot a whole lot of gel. Used to run a spray booth at a large industrial facility too, shooting production gel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	56276  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:13   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Minaret...are you talking about spray-painting gelcoat?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:33   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Minaret...are you talking about spray-painting gelcoat?

Sure, of course.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:50   #4
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Why no shooting? Is it the marina you're in? The way you are doing it is a nightmare, it'll take four times as long like that. Please let me help you here, gelcoat is my thing. You certain you can't shoot? You can gear up for pretty cheap if you are only doing a section at a time. Depending on how much boat you're doing a $50 gun and a few compressor rentals will save you loads of time. I can talk you through it even if you've never shot anything before.

Which patch booster are you using? Is it Cobalt? No surface seal? Or is it in the booster?

My color matching cart. I've matched many hundreds of gallons off it. I shoot a whole lot of gel. Used to run a spray booth at a large industrial facility too, shooting production gel.
I will find out what batch booster I am using today when I am at the boat. I have had some bad experiences trying to spray paint through a gun. But, I would love to learn how with gel coat. Is it easier to spray than paint?
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
I will find out what batch booster I am using today when I am at the boat. I have had some bad experiences trying to spray paint through a gun. But, I would love to learn how with gel coat. Is it easier to spray than paint?

Yes and no. It's different. Of course getting a great finish is not paramount, since you will be wet sanding and buffing it anyway. So if that was your problem shooting paint, you don't have to worry about some peel here. Rolling on eight coats to get a finish is madness. I bet you have to sand off at least half of what you put on. Prep it, squirt on three coats heavy, wet sand and buff, and you're done.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57   #6
cpa

Quote:
Yes and no. It's different. Of course getting a great finish is not paramount, since you will be wet sanding and buffing it anyway. So if that was your problem shooting paint, you don't have to worry about some peel here. Rolling on eight coats to get a finish is madness. I bet you have to sand off at least half of what you put on. Prep it, squirt on three coats heavy, wet sand and buff, and you're done.
That does sound a lot better. I think I might give it a go. I am heading back to the boat after a nice lunch. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-03-2013, 18:33   #7
cpa

Quote:

Here is the patch booster we are using.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00595.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	56357  
Old 06-03-2013, 18:41   #8
cpa

Today went pretty well. We removed everything including the stanchions, toe rail, cleat, fair leads, spinnaker pole and reaching strut brackets. Basically all but the two jib tracks. I had to do a little more wood cutting and grinding to get to a few of the bolts, but nothing too bad. We will tackle the tracks this weekend and will hopefully start fairing on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00607.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	56358   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00608.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	56359  

Name:	CAM00602.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	56360   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00612.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	56361  

Name:	CAM00611.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	56362   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00593.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	56363  

Old 06-03-2013, 18:44   #9
cpa

More:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00600.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	56364   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00599.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	56365  

Name:	CAM00597.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	56368  
Old 06-03-2013, 19:09   #10
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
Here is the patch booster we are using.

Ah, Ultrapatch. Have you used much yet? Are you getting a good surface cure?

Hate to say it, but I'd throw that stuff away. First off, it's shelf life is 90 days, check the MSDS. I bet it takes half that time just to get shipped out from the factory and shelved at the store. If its been sitting on the shelf for any time at all, it's no good. Working time is supposed to be five minutes, it's much too hot for what you're doing. It is accelerated with Cobalt and actually will give a false high moisture reading. And in my experience most patch boosters do just the opposite of what they claim to do. You'll get much better results with Surface Seal or PVA. I prefer Surface Seal. You can make your own with styrene monomer and paraffin wax, works great. But a can of the commercial stuff lasts forever too.
Old 06-03-2013, 19:31   #11
cpa

Quote:
Ah, Ultrapatch. Have you used much yet? Are you getting a good surface cure?

Hate to say it, but I'd throw that stuff away. First off, it's shelf life is 90 days, check the MSDS. I bet it takes half that time just to get shipped out from the factory and shelved at the store. If its been sitting on the shelf for any time at all, it's no good. Working time is supposed to be five minutes, it's much too hot for what you're doing. It is accelerated with Cobalt and actually will give a false high moisture reading. And in my experience most patch boosters do just the opposite of what they claim to do. You'll get much better results with Surface Seal or PVA. I prefer Surface Seal. You can make your own with styrene monomer and paraffin wax, works great. But a can of the commercial stuff lasts forever too.
That does not surprise me. I was not too happy with it the last time I used it. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, but can I use the Surface Seal or PVA with my brushable gel coat? Also, if I decide to try to spray it, can I still use the brushable stuff, or is that why I am having to put on so many coats? Will traditional gel coat, being thicker, make thick coats easier?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2013, 19:35   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are you using this?

ARMORSTONE - POLYGEM, Inc.
Old 06-03-2013, 19:44   #13
cpa

This is what we are using.
Old 06-03-2013, 20:54   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting. Never seen a manufacterer describe their gelcoat as "brushable". Usually gelcoat is gelcoat, and the only option is pre waxed or plain. Perhaps this is a roundabout way of saying this is a waxed gelcoat, but I couldn't get an MSDS on their site.

Tags
compass