Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38   #166
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
We finished all of the heavy sanding. We started with 320 and finished at 1000. Looking at what we have so far I want to sand both sides of the cabin top again with a guide coat and some better sanding boards. So, it's funny you asked me about the guide coat, I was going to go on your amazing refit thread and ask you the same question.

The last time I used a guide coat was in 1993 when I helped the paint guy fair the hull of our sailboat. I remember a dye and an acetone type concoction that I applied with a rag. Most everything I read on the internet suggests using spray paint
, which I don't want to use. Too many mega yachts around me.

If there's a next time, guide coat between grits. If you started with 320 odds are good you didn't get all the 320 scratch out. Lets hope you were very thorough and vigorous with the higher grits. I usually won't go coarser than 600 for something I'm gonna polish, but I get that this was brushed and probably needed serious sanding. Would have been much faster to polish before applying non skid too.

3M 05861 Dry Guide Coat Cartridge and Applicator Kit - 50 g : Amazon.com : Automotive

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 18:47   #167
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
If there's a next time, guide coat between grits. If you started with 320 odds are good you didn't get all the 320 scratch out. Lets hope you were very thorough and vigorous with the higher grits. I usually won't go coarser than 600 for something I'm gonna polish, but I get that this was brushed and probably needed serious sanding. Would have been much faster to polish before applying non skid too.

3M 05861 Dry Guide Coat Cartridge and Applicator Kit - 50 g : Amazon.com : Automotive
Thanks Minaret! your help is always greatly appreciated.

next on the list is the cockpit and will use that plan.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 19:03   #168
cpa

Update:

Things have slowed down a bit, as we have moved into a new apartment. We went from a 2nd floor to a 3rd floor. As one could imagine, it was rough and I am still in pain. But I was able to work on the boat on my last batch of days off. So this is what we managed to do:

The headliner in the main salon, galley, nav station, and middle stateroom are back up and looking good. All of the removed trim and interior pieces removed for access are back together. I also finished re-sanding the starboard part of the cabin top side . It was pretty obnoxious and took about 8 hours. But it did not look as good as the port side and I had to remedy that. I managed to compound it, but before I could polish and wax, the rain came. I guess it was mother natures way of giving me a break. I will be back tomorrow to finish the polish/wax.

I did not manage to get any good pictures but will get some tomorrow.

On a sad note, I lost my garage and with that my varnishing laboratory/sail-cushion-dinghy locker. Thank god I don't have much more varnishing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00887.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	61525  
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01   #169

Ahoy!~

Panaseaya is hull No. 4, mahogany over iroko.

You are going to be really happy about all your hard work when you find out how well she sails, if you haven't already!

Good Luck!

Jules
Panaseaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02   #170
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaseaya View Post
Ahoy!~

Panaseaya is hull No. 4, mahogany over iroko.

You are going to be really happy about all your hard work when you find out how well she sails, if you haven't already!

Good Luck!

Jules
Thanks, I can't wait to take her sailing. It has been almost two years of work to get this far, but the time is getting near. After the current projects (deck and interior) are done, The rig and sails will be tackled. Then the sailing begins!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14   #171
cpa

With a slight delay from TS Andea's rain, the cockpit part of the decks has begun. We are now removing the deck hardware. I am hoping to have it all removed by the end of my next batch of days off. Here is what we have done so far:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00921.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	62111   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00922.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	62112  

Name:	CAM00928.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	62113   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00930.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	62114  

Name:	CAM00932.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	62115   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00933.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	62116  

Name:	CAM00934.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	62117   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00938.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	62118  

Old 12-06-2013, 18:45   #172
cpa

Finally finished removing the cockpit hardware. It was fun. About 60% of the cockpit floor feels delaminated from the core and the black mush where the core once was indicates we might have some moisture lol. I knew from day one that this had to be done. I have done a little core replacement in my time. I had to recore a few sections of balsa in the hull of an old boat. Being that with exception of the first 4 feet of the foredeck and the cockpit floor this boat has no core, I have decided to use something that is less prone to rot and moisture. I was thinking Coosa BW26 or maybe Airex PXc Board. I have no experience with these foam cores. Anyone have any experience?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00941.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	62402   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00943.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	62403  

Name:	CAM00946.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	62404   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00950.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	62405  

Name:	CAM00953.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	62406   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00958.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	62407  

Old 12-06-2013, 18:50   #173
cpa

Also those Lewmar 65s were heavy. I plan on having the pedestal powder coated and replacing the steering cable while this is going on. Here are a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAM00962.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	62408   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00963.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	62409  

Name:	CAM00964.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	62410   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00968.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	62411  

Name:	CAM00973.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	62414  
Old 12-06-2013, 18:55   #174
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Finally finished removing the cockpit hardware. It was fun. About 60% of the cockpit floor feels delaminated from the core and the black mush where the core once was indicates we might have some moisture lol. I knew from day one that this had to be done. I have done a little core replacement in my time. I had to recore a few sections of balsa in the hull of an old boat. Being that with exception of the first 4 feet of the foredeck and the cockpit floor this boat has no core, I have decided to use something that is less prone to rot and moisture. I was thinking Coosa BW26 or maybe Airex PXc Board. I have no experience with these foam cores. Anyone have any experience?

Of course. Coosa is an excellent candidate for a fairly flat cockpit sole like this. It's what I'd use. Do a piece of solid glass flat stock or G10 for the binnacle area, maybe a 1'x1' piece. A smaller block in way of any other fasteners too. You'll be amazed how much stiffer the sole will be, and you'll be able to hang from the binnacle with all your weight without worrying about it breaking a seal or failing.

Old 19-06-2013, 20:42   #175
cpa

Minaret,

Thank you for all of your help. I ordered a smaller sheet (32x48) of Coosa BW26. It took me a while to locate a company that would sell less than a 4x8 sheet. I also want to follow your advice on the solid glass around the binnacle area. West System G10 is a bit out of my budget, but what about this stuff:

GPO-3 Glastic Low Pressure Fiberglass Polyester Laminate Sheet

I don't know how suitable that would be for my purpose. I also thought about trying to build some fiberglass stock myself. Is that too difficult? I believe I once read one of your posts about building the stock. I would love to save the money and learn a new skill.

Thanks again!
Old 19-06-2013, 20:50   #176
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Minaret,

Thank you for all of your help. I ordered a smaller sheet (32x48) of Coosa BW26. It took me a while to locate a company that would sell less than a 4x8 sheet. I also want to follow your advice on the solid glass around the binnacle area. West System G10 is a bit out of my budget, but what about this stuff:

GPO-3 Glastic Low Pressure Fiberglass Polyester Laminate Sheet

I don't know how suitable that would be for my purpose. I also thought about trying to build some fiberglass stock myself. Is that too difficult? I believe I once read one of your posts about building the stock. I would love to save the money and learn a new skill.

Thanks again!

Meh. You can easily build better stuff than that redboard. It's matt only. Super easy to make your own piece, I believe I recently described the process on my refit thread. You don't need much. Happy to help!

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for your sheet of Coosa? It doesn't cost us much more than meranti marine ply on our merchant account, but I wonder what it costs the average Joe. You are going about this particular job in the best possible way, materials wise. It'll live forever. Are you decoring from the top or bottom?

Old 20-06-2013, 04:45   #177
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Meh. You can easily build better stuff than that redboard. It's matt only. Super easy to make your own piece, I believe I recently described the process on my refit thread. You don't need much. Happy to help!

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for your sheet of Coosa? It doesn't cost us much more than meranti marine ply on our merchant account, but I wonder what it costs the average Joe. You are going about this particular job in the best possible way, materials wise. It'll live forever. Are you decoring from the top or bottom?
Thanks for the heads up on the redboard. I paid $109 for the smaller 32x48 piece of Coosa. Everywhere else wanted $260-$320 for a 4x8 sheet. But the problem was the $100 shipping on the big sheet.

We are decoring from the top, have the skin lifted off, all the rot gone, and most of the heavy sanding done. unfortunately my back went out the day before yesterday so that slowed be down. Nothing like sanding with a big Makita sander, a 16 grit disk, and almost no ability to stand. I will try to get some pictures up later.
Old 20-06-2013, 04:55   #178
Armchair Bucketeer

The decks are looking very smart .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 05:11   #179
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The decks are looking very smart .
Thanks!
Old 20-06-2013, 06:14   #180
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the redboard. I paid $109 for the smaller 32x48 piece of Coosa. Everywhere else wanted $260-$320 for a 4x8 sheet. But the problem was the $100 shipping on the big sheet.

We are decoring from the top, have the skin lifted off, all the rot gone, and most of the heavy sanding done. unfortunately my back went out the day before yesterday so that slowed be down. Nothing like sanding with a big Makita sander, a 16 grit disk, and almost no ability to stand. I will try to get some pictures up later.

Very good, way to go. Seems Coosa was fairly reasonable for you. What are you glassing with?

Tags
compass