Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 01:15   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Recommend Topside Paint for Steel Ketch

Has anyone used Sigma Marine paints?

I've picked up a tin of Sigma 28 single pack primer today which comes in a 5ltr tin for just $70. Tie coat and anti foul come in 5 ltr tins too which is good for one coat on my 36 footer. Heaps of colours are available in top coat, and you can get them all in two pack. The tie coat comes in a single pack and can be used as a primer directly on to the steel.

Fantastic cost savings using this commercial product.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:51   #32

Boat: Långedrag steel, 1988, 40ft

Hi rustic charm,

I was in contact with PPG Sigma here in Norway looking for the often praised Ameron paint system. The representative said Sigma bought Ameron, and so I suppose the Sigma paints are as good as the old Ameron brand. He suggested I should use Sigma prime 200 as first two layers, and then Sigma dur 500 (polyurethane) as top coat.

Unfortunately, he could only send in 20l buckets, which is too much for us since we are not planning a major overhaul soon, but need something reliable for small spot fixes. On this forum, I often read people use Rustoleum systems for above waterline applications - I finally found that product here, and it was suggested by the shop person as the best choice, too. Was sold out on Friday, which is bummer since this is a dry and warmish weekend, but I'll try next weekend.

Cheers,
Phil
phipseml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:03   #33

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipseml View Post
Hi rustic charm,

I was in contact with PPG Sigma here in Norway looking for the often praised Ameron paint system. The representative said Sigma bought Ameron, and so I suppose the Sigma paints are as good as the old Ameron brand. He suggested I should use Sigma prime 200 as first two layers, and then Sigma dur 500 (polyurethane) as top coat.

Unfortunately, he could only send in 20l buckets, which is too much for us since we are not planning a major overhaul soon, but need something reliable for small spot fixes. On this forum, I often read people use Rustoleum systems for above waterline applications - I finally found that product here, and it was suggested by the shop person as the best choice, too. Was sold out on Friday, which is bummer since this is a dry and warmish weekend, but I'll try next weekend.

Cheers,
Phil
Thanks phil,
I've only primed so far but very pleased with the single pack primer, which is the 28. After its dried for its minimum 4 hours it's really resistant to scratches already. Always a good test.

I'm not sure why he's recommended the 500 to you if your in 'Norway', as the specs advise it's for particularly hot environments. ? It's cold in Norway?

I'm putting some cheap house paint on temp for the year on the upper sides, because I need to clean up and do a fair bit of fairing, which I can't do until next year. But when I do the top sides I'll be going with the single Pak 48.

They all seem to come in 5 Litrs here I think. If not 4 litrs.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12   #34

Boat: Columbia 36

The only problem I know of with sand is the paint will wear off the tops of the grains pretty quickly, then the sand shows through and looks dirty. So, try to match the paint and sand colors, like off white paint and the sand they sell for kids sandboxes which is about the same color. Most beach sand is too dark.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, men, paint, steel