Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 17:32   #1

Boat: Hughes 38
Top Side Painting

I'm prepping my boat for paint. Got it sanded down and primed and I am going to be applying Rustoleum Topside paint. I want a nice smooth finish and I'll be rolling it on. The can says I can thin the paint "if desired". The primer rolled on with a texture which I can sand smooth but I don't want the finished paint to have a texture. Using the best rollers designed for smooth finishes, is thinning the paint going to help ensure that it goes on smooth? Spraying is not an option for my budget.
Thanks for your help/suggestions!
Airshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 18:16   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Top side painting

I'm painting the topside on my boat next week. In prime and sanded. I have a Fuji HVLP turbine spray outfit. Will be doing it on a calm-ish day outside. What I'm using is System Three water base. Reason is not interested in breathing anymore toxic fumes. The down side so far is the number of coat required. Three prime, sande4d to 220, three topcoat, maybe wet sanding the first two, although I hope not. Final two coat clear gloss. I mention this because painting a boat is alot of work, whether you do it one way or the other. You can rent a HVLP relatively cheap. $100. pd My paint for a 40' fat boat is $650. you can use less expensive paint if you don't mind the fumes. Use the best face mask you can afford. So it will get done for a grand. If this is out of the question then roll on. I would thin the paint a bit, definitely not anywhere near watery. Use a foam roller and have a helper, the better hand gets to tip off. Keep moving and tip to the wet. I'm happy it looks good from 20' Good luck
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 18:38   #3

So is a foam roller a better choice than the standard fuzzy one?
Old 18-07-2013, 19:54   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Foam rollers won't hold the paint. You can do it but press lightly. Fuzzy short knapp rollers will hold the paint and you can work it out. Remember the roller is just getting the material on the surface. You need to brush out the wet edge. Foam rollers will drip and yuck it up. That's my experience.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 20:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Sabray described the correct process. Use a short knap roller to apply the paint and have someone follow you with a good brush to knock down the texture left by the roller. The brush will leave brush marks but these should flatten before the paint dries. The key to that is thinning the paint and I think that's more art than science. Too little thinner and the brush marks won't flatten. Too much thinner and you get runs. I've never worked with Rustoleum paint but with the paints I have used, I started with a cap full of thinner into about a pint of paint and worked up until I was happy.

The brush man needs to keep the brush from becoming too wet. He should have a can he can wipe the brush on every once in a while.
Old 18-07-2013, 20:25   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sabray described the correct process. Use a short knap roller to apply the paint and have someone follow you with a good brush to knock down the texture left by the roller. The brush will leave brush marks but these should flatten before the paint dries. The key to that is thinning the paint and I think that's more art than science. Too little thinner and the brush marks won't flatten. Too much thinner and you get runs. I've never worked with Rustoleum paint but with the paints I have used, I started with a cap full of thinner into about a pint of paint and worked up until I was happy.

The brush man needs to keep the brush from becoming too wet. He should have a can he can wipe the brush on every once in a while.
Plus for the written. Surface prep and good base is first then the art of thinning.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 20:35   #7

Boat: C&C Newport 41

when knocking down the paint very VERY VERY lightly drip the tip of the brush in the paint. it will help reduce the brush marks... you are not actually brushing the paint, u r just 'nipping off' the tops of the paint bubbles left from the rollers.

do not go back over to 'touch up' roll and tip. sand anything u r not happy with with 600 and reapply.

lastly, general rule is dont paint after 11 am (no direct sunlight / mostly dry before the afternoon temps drop resulting in hazy finishes).

gl.

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 20:45   #8

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Try both. Keep us posted.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 20:52   #9

Thanks for all the input! What about tipping with a foam wedge brush that's intended for edges?
Old 18-07-2013, 21:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
Thanks for all the input! What about tipping with a foam wedge brush that's intended for edges?
No. Use a fine bristled brush of medium stiffness. I roll and tip a lot and use a foam roller and aforementioned brush and it works fine. I thin the paint about 10% brushing thinner and about 15% penetrol. If hotter temps prevail use more penetrol. The thinner has retarders in it so go easy or it'll take a long time for the paint to flash off.

Why do I use this method?
Foam Roller: less stipple and no hairs to get stuck in paint. You can alternatively burn the loose hairs off a furry roller with a lighter but it takes practice to avoid dead spots.

High Quality Brush: knocks down bubbles better without leaving drag marks or brush lines. I like Purdy or Wooster brushes the best. Chip brushes, foam brushes, cheap brushes don't work.

Penetrol: for use inly with single-part paints , it increases the viscosity of the paint with little to no change in color allowing you to rework the paint a little and it spreads easier.

Brushing thinner: less bubbles and more "open" time before drying means that it slows down the drying process allowing you to keep a wet edge and avoid lap marks.

I just scuff with purple scotch brite in between coats. Final coat is wet sanded with 600/800/1200/1500 and then I use 2000/4000 with my festool. Final finish is a buff with 3M Finesse It II which gives it a brilliant shine.

The best paints I can recommend are AlexSeal (2 part) or Pettit Easypoxy. Ditch the rust oleum and good luck!
SeattleYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 22:43   #11

Boat: C&C Newport 41

i got distracted and forgot to comment about the rustoleum...

you will never be happy with the results... especially after all the effort.

make the investment in a 2 part epoxy paint.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 02:09   #12

Boat: Ian Wright Custom 36 Twin Keel

Youtube 'Roller Tip Painting a Narrow Boat. The guy gets an amazing result using International Toplac . He works very fast using a short nap roller to spread the paint followed by tipping of with a dry 5'' quality brush. He does seem to over work the paint in my opinion.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 09:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

As others have noted:

1) You won't be happy with Rustoleum, go with a 2 part. We used Perfection. Yes, it's expensive. But, think of all of the hours you have put into this project so far. It will give you a better finish, and it will last at least twice as long

2) I'm sorry, but I would go with the foam roller advice.

Here's the link to our deck painting project. Note that there are many details in a post on page 2:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-96573.html
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:01   #14

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Another vote for a 2 part paint. Painted the cockpit with Perfection. Results came out very nice. Used a foam hot dog roller and did not need to tip at all. For deck or cockpit, use a deglosser additive. Prep and sanding is everything. As others have said, don't paint after 10 or 11 AM. The warmer and more humid, the more you need to thin, but only to a point. It is a bit of an art.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 14:35   #15

Ok so I've done some painting on the boat and have some results. First let me say that this is a $500 Mac 22 I bought for a project to work on and enjoy with my wife and kids. Not trying to impress anyone with the out come of the project, including paint, but I do want to sell it for more than I paid for it. I have spent about $500 getting it ready for the water and now about $200 for paint and supplies. I have experimented with a roller, a brush and a foam wedge. I have experience spraying paint so I was hoping for a finish close to what you get with a spray gun but I don't have the means to actually spray it right now.
The brush- no desirable results, to streaky.
The roller- excellent lay on the sides, almost as smooth as you'd get with a gun. I was very surprised! Didn't thin the paint at all.
The wedge- thinned paint slightly, great results. You can see a little streakiness up close but over all very good coverage. I was surprised!
I stopper after a first coat of paint because the weather is too nice to not take the boat out this weekend.
But it's definently not as ugly as before . Thanks for the tips!