Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 05:23   #16

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Re: Recommend Me a Mast Paint.

sounds like the overwhelming majority say a 2 part LP is the way to go. looks like thats the ticket. I have access to spraying equipment so I'll probably just go that route
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:06   #17

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

We love the results on our booms and transom. We used Epoxycote and Perfection (4 coats each) followed the instructions to the letter and the results are like spray. The work is hard and tedious but we are retired and like to see our boat getting better and more simple. Hoping to get off the dock Nov/Dec this year.
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 06:31   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
If you want to avoid repainting again, use a two-part LPU like Interlux Perfection or Awlgrip.

I used Interlux 2000 as a primer (no etching required) and rolled on Interlux Perfection as a topcoat and the results were excellent - looked like professionally sprayed.

Tips: Be prepared for lots of careful sanding between coats, especially the primer coats. Roll on with cheap 'hot dog' foam rollers. Practice your technique near the top of the mast where no one will see the results. Make sure you're in the shade. It's hard to describe, but you have to 'stretch' the paint along the spar with the roller. You only have a couple of minutes every few feet before the paint starts to kick, so keep moving -pass over each section maybe two or three times, not just once, and respect your wet edge. If you do it right, the paint will self-level like magic (no need to tip with a brush, especially if using white paint).

Read and reread the instructions from Interlux, and mix the paint and reducers very carefully.
Very interesting on the 2000e for the Al primer... Another use for a great product. ..

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 07:33   #19

pirate Re: Recommend Me a Mast Paint.

:Also, one of of the things you may use to insulate ss screws used on aluminum is lanolin. A 1/2 lb. container is most ecnomical, also great for sun burn, small cuts & scrapes. (put part in a small container for medical uses)
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 09:23   #20

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlmeyer View Post
:Also, one of of the things you may use to insulate ss screws used on aluminum is lanolin. A 1/2 lb. container is most ecnomical, also great for sun burn, small cuts & scrapes. (put part in a small container for medical uses)

One other idea that has worked terrific for us that our rigger friend told us about is using plumbers tape to insulate SS fittings from the mast. Plumbers tape is black, about 2-2 1/2" wide, sticky on one side smooth on the other. It's also slight stretchy. It is used to wrap copper pipe before pouring concrete over it. It is NOT electrical tape. We tape the side of the SS fitting that will touch the mast. Holes are easily punched out with a drill bit by hand. This provides excellent insulation to keep the SS away from the aluminum.

We used to use aluminalastic for many years but EPA made them remove it now we have used Tufgel. Messy by a little goes a very long way.

Regards

Chuck

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 26-09-2015, 09:36   #21

As said before it's all about the prep. I painted one mast with Sterling. it's a very hard paint, it seemed to do pretty good. A rigging company rebuilt and painted another for me, it didn't last, it was some kind of two part poly, but offshore only lasted a year before starting to degrade in the lower 6 ft of the mast. The mast was taken down to bare alum, acid washed primed etc too. Go figure.
I would be real tempted to go with Imron or another aircraft paint if I did it again. Let's face it, it's formulated specifically for aluminum and intended to stay on at 600 mph in harsh rain abrasive environment etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 21:03   #22

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As said before it's all about the prep. I painted one mast with Sterling. it's a very hard paint, it seemed to do pretty good. A rigging company rebuilt and painted another for me, it didn't last, it was some kind of two part poly, but offshore only lasted a year before starting to degrade in the lower 6 ft of the mast. The mast was taken down to bare alum, acid washed primed etc too. Go figure.
I would be real tempted to go with Imron or another aircraft paint if I did it again. Let's face it, it's formulated specifically for aluminum and intended to stay on at 600 mph in harsh rain abrasive environment etc
why do I get the feeling that aviation paint makes marine paint look cheap?
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:20   #23

Not sure these days, but I had one boat (the one in the avatar) painted with Imron. I don't think it was any different than the ridiculous prices for good boat paint .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:58   #24

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53

That would be great, we just finished our transom. I anticipation of painting our hull.
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 16:22   #25

Boat: J/37

Just reviving this old thread, we will be doing this project this spring and starting with the boom in our garage here shortly.

In reading above everyone is doing multiple coats of primer and topcoat. Interlux states to thin out Primekote out by 25%. Are you guys doing this for all coats or just the first coat?

Anything else I should keep in mind after reading this.

thank you
Thank you dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 18:25   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Recommend Me a Mast Paint.

If your willing to go with Aircraft paint. Go with Sherwin Williams Jet -GLO.
I switched to it on the aircraft we manufactured after finding out that Air Force One, the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds were all painted with Jet-Glo.
Of course the man who owns the company now went to a cheaper paint, but Jet Glo is excellent paint for aluminum. I believe the best there is.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 18:59   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Check this out. This is the mast out of a Wyliecat 30, carbon fiber painted to look like wood.

https://imageshack.com/i/plNGovtEj

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 19:16   #28

Nyalic. It's so easy it seems like cheating.

Sand the mast. Apply Nyalic with a rag. That's it.

9 years now, and still looks like new.

http://www.nyalic.com.au/nyalic.com.au/Home.html

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, men, paint