Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 20:36   #1

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Antifouling For Saildrives

What antifouling paint are others using on their sail drive?

My plan this year is to use Trilux 33. Interlux says to first coat the sail drive with InterProtect 2000E, an epoxy. Since I won't need much, and already have WEST epoxy, I can't help wondering whether the WEST epoxy wouldn't work just fine.

Curious what others have done and how well it works. Our boat remains afloat between bottom painting usually every two years, sometimes three years.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 21:28   #2

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Antifouling For Saildrives

Probably the west epoxy would work as well, but will not be easy to apply in a thin, smooth layer.

If the sail drive original coating is in good shape, you only need a spray primer and the trilux.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 04:21   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We sanded ours to bare aluminum with 80 grit. Then painted the drives with propspeed. We did this September of 2018, since we spent several months Bahamas , eastern Caribbean, 5 months in terrible fouling waters of curacao, Santa marta and now panama. The drives look almost as good as the day we painted them and nothing sticks to them. No pitting or corrosion. We should easily get 2 years out of it and will reapply the same. Our friends have done this on their sd's for 14 years with not 1 issue.
I became tired after multiple!e times meticulously sanding priming and painting the drives to have it not last.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 06:14   #4

I have wondered about Propspeed, as I use that on the propellers anyway, with good results. I was concerned how effective it would be on a fixed object as opposed to the spinning prop.

I assume you coat the propellers as well; is the half liter kit enough to do it all?

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
We sanded ours to bare aluminum with 80 grit. Then painted the drives with propspeed. We did this September of 2018, since we spent several months Bahamas , eastern Caribbean, 5 months in terrible fouling waters of curacao, Santa marta and now panama. The drives look almost as good as the day we painted them and nothing sticks to them. No pitting or corrosion. We should easily get 2 years out of it and will reapply the same. Our friends have done this on their sd's for 14 years with not 1 issue.
I became tired after multiple!e times meticulously sanding priming and painting the drives to have it not last.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:16   #5

You are probably right about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Probably the west epoxy would work as well, but will not be easy to apply in a thin, smooth layer.

Old 22-01-2019, 09:19   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

The 500 ml kit is enough to do both drives and props 2 times.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive